Gold wing brake question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gold wing brake question

dirtbag

The rear caliper on my 86 gl1200 is dragging just a bit. Went out for 30km ride and when I got back the rear disc was hot. Not scalding like a header pipe near the manifold but hot enough that you couldn't touch it for more than a second or two. Both front discs were ambient.

I think the initial cause was that I let the pistons push too far out when I was changing pads (all three sets) and prying open the front caliper with no pads in the rear caliper. Since that I took the rear caliper completely apart cleaned everything including buffing the pistons after sanding them with some fine (800-1000) wet/dry paper. This was my first ride since putting them all back together.

Before I spend 100$ on a used caliper I'd like to know that the problem isn't the rear master cylinder hanging up with residual pressure from some dirt in a return port or something. So finally the QUESTION.

Since the the Wing has linked brakes (front lever works one disc up front while the rear pedal works both a front disc and the rear) is it safe to rule out a MC problem since neither front disc was hot? That seems logical but maybe the pressure regulating valve on the MC would allow a slight pressure at the rear without affecting the front???

Can anyone with a good knowledge of this system chime in?

Back
Top Bottom