Best Method to Secure LiFePO4 Battery | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best Method to Secure LiFePO4 Battery

ABCarr

Site Supporter
I've had a Ballistic 8-cell LiFePO4 battery in my GSX-R750 for a couple of years now. I'm very happy with it.....I never need to charge it in the off-season; I really like the fact that it's 5-6 lbs lighter than the standard battery; it starts the bike reliably in the weather I typically ride in (i.e. not cold).

What bothers me is the fact that since the battery is physically smaller than the original, I'm forced to wedge in 4 pieces of foam to somewhat support it on the battery tray. This rubs me the wrong way, since it's a crude solution. I've looked for a way to possibly use tie wraps to secure it, but there are no convenient holes to utilize, and I'm reluctant to drill any new ones.

Has anyone come up with a more elegant solution to this (admittedly minor) situation?

Last edited:
A small strip or two of 3M Dual Lock would probably work. It's the stuff that they give you with your 407 transponder to stick it to your windshield. RadioShack/TheSource usually has some tucked away on the parts shelves

I have installed two Li-Po batteries and must say that it didn't rub me the wrong way to use sticky foam pads. I cannot see what the problem is ... as long as the battery is secured and cannot move when installed under seat, or however else it is secured on your bike, there's nothing wrong about it. The foam actually absorbs vibration which certainly is a good thing.

I use a combination of foam (from hard drive packing) and velcro.

I've found a way to thread a long tie-wrap through an adjacent bracket. I'll use it in conjunction with a smaller piece of foam between the battery and the bracket for vibration absorption.

I used a smaller scooter battery in my ride. I secured it in place with two industrial grade velcro tabs (at bottom of battery). Never moved an inch.

Bought it at home depot:
90362_4.jpg

If you use packaging foam, it might wear out a day or 2. Get home insulation foam they are tougher

How is packaging foam going to wear out?? You have millions of packaged product lying on shelves and shipped around the world, I have yet to see one worn out?? Or did I misunderstood you?

Having said that, both Shorai and Ballistic supply a very dense foam pieces to deal with size differences.

Its not as compact.
The vibration would compress it. The sidewalls of my battery is a bit worn out.

I realize that, but he's not riding a tractor super vibrator for 8hrs a day LOL .... if you do it right from install leaving zero space, it will be fine.

I realize that, but he's not riding a tractor super vibrator for 8hrs a day LOL .... if you do it right from install leaving zero space, it will be fine.

Not going to argue. Do what you will

Back
Top Bottom