anyone here use a dashcam in your car? if so, what brand and model is it? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

anyone here use a dashcam in your car? if so, what brand and model is it?

wow... really? :roll:

We're talking dash cams. I listen to music on my radio, and have a Garmin. The Garmin is always on, and the radio comes on to my station when I start my truck

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh the irony. You have a dedicated GPS, but can't understand why would someone want a dedicated camera?! Rofl.

We're talking dash cams. I listen to music on my radio, and have a Garmin. The Garmin is always on, and the radio comes on to my station when I start my truck

Oh the irony. You have a dedicated GPS, but can't understand why would someone want a dedicated camera?! Rofl.

I had the GPS for years, way before I got a phone that would actually work as a good GPS. Would I ever buy another GPS, never, my phone would be perfect. Not so ironic now is it. I laugh at your comments all the time, as you fail to think before you post.

I had the GPS for years, way before I got a phone that would actually work as a good GPS. Would I ever buy another GPS, never, my phone would be perfect. Not so ironic now is it. I laugh at your comments all the time, as you fail to think before you post.

yes it's ironic and every time you reply it make everyone else shake their head... Keep replying.

yes it's ironic and every time you reply it make everyone else shake their head... Keep replying.

How's it ironic. If I just purchased it then yes, but I had it before my phone so no it's not. You can't fix stupid so I guess you're out of luck.

When you guys buy your dash cams, make sure you come here to post all your awesome footage...............

[video=youtube;blAWUfnO3CA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blAWUfnO3CA[/video]

How's it ironic. If I just purchased it then yes, but I had it before my phone so no it's not. You can't fix stupid so I guess you're out of luck.

Another classic reply... keep them coming.

I tried using the cellphone as a dashcam, but I didn't like it for a variety of reasons:

1) I don't like mounting my phone that high. Its usual mount spot is on the dash just above the radio, but if the camera was on there all it would see is dash. I also use my cellphone as a gps and a OBD2 reader to track my mileage, so I like to have it lower down.

2) You might think it is lazy, but I didn't like having to set it up for each drive, taking it down at the end of each drive, etc.. A good example is just a trip to the beer store. I live about 2 minutes from a beer store, but need to take the car in order to return empties. Often I don't even think about bringing the phone as I am just stepping out for a minute, yet many accidents happen close to home and my dash cam has witnessed some red-light runners and near accidents a few times now on these beer store runs.

I currently have a cheap dashcam... basically the cheapest cam I could find on ebay, and the resolution is terrible. I cannot even read a license plate with it when reviewing video. I next bought one of the ones that is a rearview mirror that slips over your stock mirror. That one was great for being easy to position and is essentially hidden, but I also cheaped out and it only lasted 2 months before kicking the bucket.

Fedon, I have one on order now that you posted. I checked on youtube and the video it produces is amazingly clear.
In particular, I bought this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/310903579205?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and I hope it works out as well as most reviews claim.

Good stuff....i too ran the cheapo dash cam, and the video quality is night and day. I'd rate the video quality up there with ContourHD and Iphone 4s cameras.

Only thing that kind sucks is that the lenz bezel is chrome. Kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. I covered the lens and spray painted the front of the camera to a flat black. Much more incognito.

I tried using the cellphone as a dashcam, but I didn't like it for a variety of reasons:

1) I don't like mounting my phone that high. Its usual mount spot is on the dash just above the radio, but if the camera was on there all it would see is dash. I also use my cellphone as a gps and a OBD2 reader to track my mileage, so I like to have it lower down.

2) You might think it is lazy, but I didn't like having to set it up for each drive, taking it down at the end of each drive, etc.. A good example is just a trip to the beer store. I live about 2 minutes from a beer store, but need to take the car in order to return empties. Often I don't even think about bringing the phone as I am just stepping out for a minute, yet many accidents happen close to home and my dash cam has witnessed some red-light runners and near accidents a few times now on these beer store runs.

I currently have a cheap dashcam... basically the cheapest cam I could find on ebay, and the resolution is terrible. I cannot even read a license plate with it when reviewing video. I next bought one of the ones that is a rearview mirror that slips over your stock mirror. That one was great for being easy to position and is essentially hidden, but I also cheaped out and it only lasted 2 months before kicking the bucket.

Fedon, I have one on order now that you posted. I checked on youtube and the video it produces is amazingly clear.
In particular, I bought this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/310903579205?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and I hope it works out as well as most reviews claim.

I do think that a real dashcam is better than an action camera or a smart phone, if you want to use it all the time.

I have a dashcam, you can get them from www.szswill.com for about $75. Most keep recording in a loop, so you don't need to do anything until you want the Video. As most take audio, it is a good way to check if you have your Kids driving your car. You can hear conversations, and see where, how and how fast they drive. Most people forget about them, so you get a real idea.

I drive on dirt roads a bit, and there are often idiots coming around corners on the wrong side of the road. If I get hit, I can prove I was not at fault.

Back
Top Bottom