SV650 Front end Brake Squeal | GTAMotorcycle.com

SV650 Front end Brake Squeal

I

igormon

So I did some searching awhile back. Read a lot of opinions. Figured I'd ask and post some pictures here.

Front brakes seem to squeal pretty loudly when I'm braking. Seems to happen when I'm going slower but then again it may just be that the sound of the engine and wind is too loud at higher speeds for me to notice. It is a consistent squeal not oscillating. Squealing starts happening after a minute or so of riding, so when the brakes warm up a bit. I was thinking of using some brake cleaner to see if that fixes it, but it seems awfully pronounced to be just dirty disks. I tried wiping them down before but just used a cloth instead of any actual cleaning agent.

The bike is a 2013 SV650SA model, I have around 2k on it. Brakes were fine from the dealer started to squeal a bit maybe after maybe 100km or so and looks like its getting worse.

Here are some pictures. Bike is still in storage. I noticed the rotors seem to be developing rust on one side? It should come right off after my first ride of the season (probably this week) im not worried however I just find it peculiar it would develop only one one side and the other. I have My point of posting these pictures is if these observations mean anything or not.

Here's the album.

http://imgur.com/a/CwYxI

Thank you for any suggestions,

Happy riding.

Last edited:
If the squeal only happens when you apply the brakes, then in all likelihood, the pads are vibrating in the calipers. Take the calipers off, take the pads out and apply some anti-squeal to the back of the pads, then reassemble. Be extremely careful that you don't put too much on the back of the pads or get any on the braking surfaces of the pads and rotors.

It looks like you rode it late last fall, parked it with road salt on it. The rust will come off as soon as you begin riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did ride pretty late in the fall. I honestly didn't think they dropped any salt at that time but I guess I was wrong, at least that seems to be the only rust spot.

I'll try taking the pads off and applying the anti-squeal stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom