ZX6R does not turn on after winter storage!!HELP | GTAMotorcycle.com

ZX6R does not turn on after winter storage!!HELP

sp1012

Bike in Q is 98 ZX6R..

Parked the on the stand last november(2013) (working). Poured recommended amount of fuel stabilizer and ran it for a bit.

I made mistake of not removing the battery or attaching battery tender. Took out the battery couple of weeks ago and connected it to battery charger.

Today, I installed charged battery, all excited to go riding and bike would not turn on. All the lights and everything works but motor doesn't seem to turn over.

I help the starter and throttle for approx. 5-10 sec for 5-6 times, but no luck. I changed spark plugs and cleaned the air filter before I stored it last season.

connected the battery to charger again and it seem to be charging again. It is an old bike but was working perfectly fine. I am not a tech but was thinking what else I can try or should look for??

any help would be appreciated.

Check the acid levels in the battery cells.

Spark plug changed before or after last time it worked?

Is it possible you have gummed carbs?

"All the lights and everything works but motor doesn't seem to turn over."

If I'm getting your meaning correctly, the battery has enough juice to light the lights but not enough juice to power the starter motor. So, weak battery. How many seasons has this battery seen? It may need to be replaced.

You said the engine cranked so I assume it is not the battery. Do basics, check the fuse to the fuel pump. If not you might need to check pressure of fuel pump

All the lights and everything works but motor doesn't seem to turn over.

when you say turn over.... is that no noise at all from engine.... or does it go ruh ruh ruh ruh ?
that would indicate it IS turning over,, but not starting.....

I held the starter and throttle for approx. 5-10 sec for 5-6 times, but no luck.

holding the starter and throttle makes me think the engine is turning over.. but not starting ...

drain as much gas as you can.. add fresh gas .. and try it again,.
that bike has fuel injection I think,, so if you can turn on the fuel pump for a minute,, and the old gas in the fuel rail will go back to the tank, and mix with the new.... the new gas will get to the injectors,, and it should fire.

pull a plug and see if it is wet..... turn it over with the plug out, held against the engine... see if you have spark

Ok I would like to correct myself . Yes it is turning over but not starting. I'm thinking of checking fuel lines to see if everything is ok . Also, I can prob drain old gas and put new one.

This bike is carb'd. And it was working fine after the new plugs and carb work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt there is anything wrong with the carbs as they were cleaned and synced a month before storage and it was all good. Plan is to check battery and fuel line

I doubt there is anything wrong with the carbs as they were cleaned and synced a month before storage and it was all good. Plan is to check battery and fuel line
I have2 bikes in the same garage,, the fuel inj bike always starts .... the carb bike always needs attention when I try to start it after sitting for a month or so.
there usually is a carb drain screw... I loosen it. and drain the old gas... then I pull off the fuel line ,, and make sure it is getting the fresh gas to the carbs
it will start right up once I have fresh gas in the carb.

thats my experience with any carb engine that sits

Did you turn on the fuel petcock? Sorry, just gotta ask.

does not matter. two things to check.. the spark plugs can easily be fouled from trying to start the bike.
like others have said, drain the fuel out of the carbs.
then pull and clean the plugs.
then start the bike
on my old carbed r6 If I didnt start it for a month the bike wouldnt start, and I would flood the plugs and have to pull them and clean them
then It would start

does not matter. two things to check.. the spark plugs can easily be fouled from trying to start the bike.
like others have said, drain the fuel out of the carbs.
then pull and clean the plugs.
then start the bike
on my old carbed r6 If I didnt start it for a month the bike wouldnt start, and I would flood the plugs and have to pull them and clean them
then It would start

That is the plan today. brought the battery and it is good to go. will let you know the results

I have2 bikes in the same garage,, the fuel inj bike always starts .... the carb bike always needs attention when I try to start it after sitting for a month or so.
there usually is a carb drain screw... I loosen it. and drain the old gas... then I pull off the fuel line ,, and make sure it is getting the fresh gas to the carbs
it will start right up once I have fresh gas in the carb.

thats my experience with any carb engine that sits

Last year I had it sitting with stabilizer in old gas and had battery tender connected and it started right up. However, I got new gas. so Lets c

After letting her sit for a day I tried with the same battery but charged and she started right up. No choke no jump no throttle. Aaahh missed that tune . I appreciate all of your input.

After sitting my EFI bike 5 months without stabilizer I brought it out today.

Press starter. Nothing happens. :(

It is in neutral and there is power since the headlight comes on. The kill switch is in the start position. Why won't it start?

Hamster wheel turns..

Ah yes. I must hold in the clutch.

It was a long winter.

Last edited:
It did start. My bike requires the clutch to be held in while pressing the starter even if it is already in neutral. I had forgotten about that part.

Back
Top Bottom