Shifter catching on downshift | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shifter catching on downshift

rt85

Hello, new rider here. Just bought a used 2007 CBR125r for driving around the city. Got my M1 and have been out for 5-6 rides and loving it so far. I noticed that when I downshift I have to manually lift the shifter back to the middle position. Initially I figured I have a bad spring or something, but upon closer inspection, the shifter is getting stuck underneath the nut for my kickstand. If I kick it half way down, before the black metal piece hits the nut, it springs back to the middle position fine, but I don't think its far enough to actually shift the gear.

The previous owner told me the bike had been dropped once (judging by the minor scratches, it looks like it was dropped on the side the shifter is on) so I'm wondering if the bike dropped on the shifter and bent it in a bit.

Has anyone had this problem? Any advice on what to do?

I took some pictures to give you a better idea of what I'm describing.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.JPG

It's bent. You can bend it back easily enough by hand, or with a pair of vice grips pliers etc.

Just don't go and use excessive force and break it off completely. Once it's clear of the nut you might want to leave it well enough alone until someone more experienced wants to straighten it the rest of the way for you.

I actually tried with vice grips but the metal felt pretty rigid. Should I invest in a torch to heat it up a bit?

You just need to get a little leverage on it. You don't need a torch.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I just reefed on it a bit harder with vice grips and it seems to be springing back up now. It still gently brushes against the nut, but it isn't catching now.

Good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom