DSL -- anyone know? | GTAMotorcycle.com

DSL -- anyone know?

Corsara

Site Supporter
Ok, long story short, I moved my internet + TV from Rogers Cable to VMedia DSL, and subscribed to their 25/10 mbps FTTN plan. Installation took place today, and when the guy left, I had a full 26 mbps down, 10 mbps up speed as confirmed by multiple tests I did.

Then I did something stupid: I was trying to get the IPTV going (for which I subscribed as well), and since it wouldn't connect, I found an option in the modem menu which allowed me to change from "Internet Only" to "Internet + TV". When I did that, the modem restarted in ADSL mode (very slow speed). Subsequently, I found out that somebody just forgot to enable the TV on my account, and I should have stayed with "Internet Only".

The problem is that I can never connect to the VDSL anymore. "Internet Only", and the IPTV works, but the speed is slow---ADSL. If I try to force it with another option in VDSL, it tries for some time, then the modem gives up, restarts and connects to the slow ADSL.

FYI, VMedia is reselling Bell internet in my neck of woods, and when I called, they told me "it's Bell's fault, they didn't put you on the right plan". Apparently they will be calling Bell, I just wonder how long is this gonna take. And most importantly---will I have to wait for a technician again, or they'll do it remotely? Also, I wonder how did it get screwed up---does it mean if you ever connect to ADSL, your line gets screwed and you're automatically put on a slow plan/line/whatever they call it from then on?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

If it's a Sagemcom modem (sounds like it), I think it has an option to select whether you want it to work in ADSL, VDSL or hybrid mode. It should be left in VDSL or hybrid (hybrid is better because it will just pick the fastest type of connection it can get). Make sure you didn't put your modem in ADSL only mode. They usually come the next day or the day after but could take an extra day depending on tech availability. They may need access to your home even though it is unusual so make sure somebody is at home during the hours of availability you gave to the tech you talked to. Most likely somebody "pushed the wrong button" with Bell independent of your mucking around with the modem. In any case if you don't know what you're doing don't mess with your modem lol

Last edited:
If it's a Sagemcom modem (sounds like it), I think it has an option to select whether you want it to work in ADSL, VDSL or hybrid mode. It should be left in VDSL or hybrid (hybrid is better because it will just pick the fastest type of connection it can get). Make sure you didn't put your modem in ADSL only mode. They usually come the next day or the day after but could take an extra day depending on tech availability. They may need access to your home even though it is unusual so make sure somebody is at home during the hours of availability you gave to the tech you talked to. Most likely somebody "pushed the wrong button" with Bell independent of your mucking around with the modem. In any case if you don't know what you're doing don't mess with your modem lol

Yes, it's the Sagemcom modem, and that's what I'm saying: I set it in VDSL, then apply. It then restarts, finds DSL line, but when trying to connect to the PPPoE, it can't (no internet). After about 5 minutes, restarts automatically back into ADSL... anyway, hope they get it to work soon. Thanks

Yes, it's the Sagemcom modem, and that's what I'm saying: I set it in VDSL, then apply. It then restarts, finds DSL line, but when trying to connect to the PPPoE, it can't (no internet). After about 5 minutes, restarts automatically back into ADSL... anyway, hope they get it to work soon. Thanks

Change it to the hybrid mode anyway and just wait for Bell. They could come as soon as today.

I had a similar issue with a Zhone modem which is not supported on TekSavvy
had to Config manually:
PTM (instead of ATM)
Mode as vlan/mux
Vlan 35 for data

Before setting as above, I'd get the DSL light (sync), but PPPoE failed, and of course no Internet that point.

Well, I spoke to them again today. Apparently when they were fixing my IPTV, they bumped me down to the slowest possible DSL plan. Now it's in the hands of Bell, they need to change back the speed profile back to 25/10 on their end. I sit and wait... Good that I still have my cable internet (thanks to 30-day notice and impatience to get the new stuff).

Well, I spoke to them again today. Apparently when they were fixing my IPTV, they bumped me down to the slowest possible DSL plan. Now it's in the hands of Bell, they need to change back the speed profile back to 25/10 on their end. I sit and wait... Good that I still have my cable internet (thanks to 30-day notice and impatience to get the new stuff).

Why would they need to mess with your DSL profile in order to get your IPTV to work?! Friggin morons. In any case it's a smart idea to keep the old service running for at least a month while transitioning to a new one and if you are working from home and need the Internet to make money, your best bet is to have 2 different types of service (typically DSL and cable) from 2 completely different providers. That's about as much redundancy as you can get at a price affordable to a home user.

Happy to report that they've changed the plan, and the speed is 25/10 now. I'm able to run the IPTV + 2 x Netflix in HD on two separate computers + maintain a 1 mb/s download without any skipping or anything. Theoretically, it should handle even more, but that's something I couldn't do before. Happy customer! Hope it stays that way ;)

Back
Top Bottom