Riding someone else's bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding someone else's bike?

If you have the appropriate licence and there are no exclusions on the policies you are covered as an occasional rider. If a violation results in a collision the ticket goes against you and any collision costs go against the bike owner.

If you live at home you should be listed as a rider and that will affect your dad's rates. To save money he can ban you from riding the bike via some form and you will not be covered.

In Ontario, the insurance is on the bike, not the rider per se.

eg. you have a bike and have insured the bike.
you let your friend (who also has an insured bike) ride your bike
unfortunately, your friend has a collision
YOUR insurance would pick up the tab for liability/repairs/health care costs, not your friend's.
The claim would go on your insurance record.

same would apply if your friend didn't have an insured bike.

I have my own place and do not live with my dad, just curious if I could sway his next bike decision so I can ride without paying the high insurance?

what you're describing is flirting with insurance fraud.
if you occasionally pop by to ride it, that's one thing. If you basically have possession of the bike, but it's registered to your dad, at his address and under his insurance, that's insurance fraud.

if you occasionally pop by to ride it, that's one thing. If you basically have possession of the bike, but it's registered to your dad, at his address and under his insurance, that's insurance fraud.

If your with State Farm your advised to declare yourself a rider on the policy because this is a company that sends out regular reminders about how you can void your insurance policy......be it a car or motorcycle.
They specifically ask about all licensed drivers in the household and on the vehicles.
If an accident occurs and your not listed on the policy you may find yourself with out coverage.
This company will even void your policy if you lower your cars ride height below the manufacturers bumper height. Insurance fraud will bite you big time if you play games with the insurance company....just to save a few bucks.

If your with State Farm your advised to declare yourself a rider on the policy because this is a company that sends out regular reminders about how you can void your insurance policy......be it a car or motorcycle.
They specifically ask about all licensed drivers in the household and on the vehicles.
If an accident occurs and your not listed on the policy you may find yourself with out coverage.
This company will even void your policy if you lower your cars ride height below the manufacturers bumper height. Insurance fraud will bite you big time if you play games with the insurance company....just to save a few bucks.

this statement is true, but OP said he doesn't live with his dad

Bingo. It's not flirting, but IS insurance fraud if the OP plans to regularly ride the bike without disclosing this to the insurer (i.e. using his Dad to get cheaper rates). Insurance companies aren't stupid . . . when junior causes a collision with his Dad's bike, this will set off a red flag to investigate whether or not they were being honest with the listed operators. Insurance companies have their own internal investigators and even hire private investigators if something seems fishy. It's always entertaining to read the Claims Department's stories of fraudulent acts that they caught through investigation.

Just to add further, you are not doing yourself any favours by not putting yourself on a policy. Regardless of how old you are, the first year(s) will always sting the wallet. If you build an insurance history yes you must bite the bullet, but expect lower rates down the line (assuming no accidents and/or claims)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. . when junior causes a collision with his Dad's bike, this will set off a red flag .

This quasi scam is one of the most asked questions on the forum. Everyone wants dad's rates. The insurance companies have heard it thousands of times as well.

Question in regards to riding someone else's bike: What if you're buddy just purchased a used bike and it is not insured yet. May he have a friend who is insured ride it home?

Question in regards to riding someone else's bike: What if you're buddy just purchased a used bike and it is not insured yet. May he have a friend who is insured ride it home?

insurance is on the vehicle, not the individual. so no, you cant do that lol

This quasi scam is one of the most asked questions on the forum. Everyone wants dad's rates. The insurance companies have heard it thousands of times as well.

Exactly. Now mind you if you do it the "right" way it still saves money. I.e. when I had no insurance history I was primary on my car, but listed under my mom's policy. I was rated as I normally would have been alone, but got all her discounts attached which was a major help ($4400 vs $6900/yr). The problem with MC insurance is that those discounts are negligible if they exist at all lol, so people resort to all-out fraud.

Exactly. Now mind you if you do it the "right" way it still saves money. I.e. when I had no insurance history I was primary on my car, but listed under my mom's policy. I was rated as I normally would have been alone, but got all her discounts attached which was a major help ($4400 vs $6900/yr). The problem with MC insurance is that those discounts are negligible if they exist at all lol, so people resort to all-out fraud.

Piggy backing on that thought, if you have to give up driving in Canada for a few years (Travelling, job transfer) being on someone else's policy shows continuous coverage.

Back
Top Bottom