Toronto to Lake Louise | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to Lake Louise

general

Hi,
Planning a trip to Lake Louise, Alberta in mid May. Will it still be cold for this trip, any suggestions on route, plan on going Ont. route and then the US route also.
Thanks Kelly

It can be cold out there then. I remember many may weekends of snow when I lived in Calgary. If I had to drive it again I would do the states route. Canadia is boring flat and ridiculously long. Leave yourself at least 3 days to get there.

Look up historical weather data for at least 5 years for cities along the way (Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Regina) for the time you're planning the trip

Get a heated jacket and grips. I was working in Wainwright AB and got a foot of snow in June.

Gone west for many years. First one was via Trans Canada....all the rest were thru the States. Camped.

Perhaps you could use a more southerly US route to get there, so that it will be warmer for the way back on the trans Canada route.

i think that everyone should experience traveling across Canada at least once. But there's not much there to make multiple trans canada highway trips interesting.

I did it once and thank god we were in a hurry. Borrrrrring! Look a field. ....oh look another field... :D

TO to Van for about 5 years. I tried varying routes, but mostly the top few states. Sometimes crossing back in Alberta and finishing thru lower BC, but mostly coming up from Seattle. Just pick a route and then a different one back. On this end, crossing at Detroit area or Sarnia. Usually Sarnia, the better choice IMO.

Last edited:
Watch the movie: One Week, about a cross Canada motorcycle trip

It could be 32c or snowing. Early am and late evening will be cool either way. Remember your at altitude in the Rockies.

As others have stated, it can still get very cold over there at that time of year. A few years ago I rode my ZX-9R cross-country from Toronto to LA to Vancouver and back. While I was riding back through the Canadian Rockies, I got caught in a snowstorm, and when I arrived at Lake Louise it was still completely frozen over.

This was in late May. So be prepared for anything.

This year in particular as there are lingering effects of the Arctic Dipole to consider - also flooding is a very real risk in some areas.

This year in particular as there are lingering effects of the Arctic Dipole to consider - also flooding is a very real risk in some areas.

We rode Vancouver to Toronto in May a few years ago. We had to adjust our route because of flooding in southern Saskatchewan and Manitoba. There were also some hellacious thunderstorms in Saskatchewan. I recommend downloading an app called Canada radar -- it gives you real time updates about approaching weather systems.

If I may? Leave early stop early gas stations are NOT open 24/7 reliably most close at 9 pm if not earlier.
On road at 8 am ish stop 5 pm ish would be my suggestion.
Lube chain every night after check in but before carrying stuff in.

Known by some

Back
Top Bottom