Getting A Safety Inspection. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting A Safety Inspection.

dallasmcmahon

Quick question:

Everything on my bike seems to be in passing condition, however i have a question regarding the mirrors and windshield.

How many mirrors are required and do they have to be the stock style mirrors or can they be bar-end ones? And if the windshield on my Cbr250 was painted over, will that need to be replaced ?

thanks.

Quick question:

Everything on my bike seems to be in passing condition, however i have a question regarding the mirrors and windshield.

How many mirrors are required and do they have to be the stock style mirrors or can they be bar-end ones? And if the windshield on my Cbr250 was painted over, will that need to be replaced ?

thanks.

I'd be very surprised if anyone hassled you about the windscreen.

As far as mirrors: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/archive/index.php/t-169597.html

(13) Every motorcycle shall have, mounted on each side so that the horizontal centre of each reflective surface of the mirror is at least 280 mm (11 inches) outward from the longitudinal centreline of the motorcycle,

(a) a rearview mirror with not less than 80 cm2 (12.5 square inches) of reflective surface area; or

(b) a convex rearview mirror with not less than 64.5 cm2 (10 square inches) of reflective surface area and an average radius of curvature that is not less than 510 mm (20 inches) and not greater than 1 800 mm (71.5 inches).

In sure someone can chime in who for sure knows but I believe of you can't see through it the windscreen is a no no. You see solid black. Carbon fiber etc. I don't think technically they're "legal"

In sure someone can chime in who for sure knows but I believe of you can't see through it the windscreen is a no no. You see solid black. Carbon fiber etc. I don't think technically they're "legal"

I can confirm this, according to http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900611_e.htm "(b) the windshield shall not be crazed, clouded, fogged or damaged, so as to materially impair the operator’s vision;"

In the end, it depends on the place that's doing the safety. What a dumb law, though. Most bikes don't even have operational windscreens to begin with. Furthermore, barely anyone looks through them when riding; even when one is in a tight position, usually their windscreen is below eye level. I know on my bike, if I were to look through my wind screen while riding, I would most likely be dead because you can't see anything (this is the stock windscreen and it is clear). I don't think the people who came up with these laws realize that the windscreen is typically for deflecting air over the rider for the purpose of being more aerodynamic.

I'd call the place just to make sure if they are strict on windscreens. Even if they are, just show them your natural riding position and show how the windscreen isn't even used in everyday riding.

Last edited:
As far as mirrors go, I believe just one will do. Go see Ted at Rosey Toes, he'll make sure your bike is passable. ;)

I bought a Nighthawk in the states and will need a safety before DMV register it. How much do they charge for a safety these days?

One mirror, on the left, is all that's typically required to pass. You're best off having both stock units though.

If the bike has a windscreen then you need to be able to see through it, to pass.

Back
Top Bottom