2015 Yamaha FZ07 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 Yamaha FZ07

Ordered myself one on Saturday at the Barrie dealer!!!!!! �� I sat on it last Wednesday but couldn't stay for the Yamaha ride day as had to do things for work. Was so surprised how light it was. Checked after only 19 lbs more than a Ninja 300 (I have a 2010 Ninja 250) Perfect height for me (6') and loooove the look!! Every review I have read and watched raves about it. And the price is less than every other 650-700 bike I like. More money than some 500's but I don't like any of them near as much as this!!! Check out CagerOnTwoWheels video review of MT-07 (Europe version - seems identical except maybe tires and paint schemes) it gets silly coz he can't stop giggling every time he blips the throttle but he goes through all the details really well, there is two parts to the review. It's going to kill me waiting for it!!!!

Thanks! Oh other point forgot to mention upright riding position! Can't take the lean any more too old! LOL

rode the fz07 at yamaha oakville demo day and absolutely loved it....seat and riding position are both excellent...its very lightweight and nimble and it just feels like there is a lot of torque available most of the time....definitely at the top of my list

Took it for a demo in london only minutes after trying the fz-09, The fz-07 is definitely one hell of a nice bike and will likely be my next since insurance for the fz-09 is ridiculous for myself.

The FZ09 only has preload and rebound damping. The suspension is very poor, it's undersprung with poor rebound damping. A great little bike otherwise.

Suspension on the FZ-09 is far from 'very poor'. It's plenty capable to scrape pegs in the turns without incident. Stock they come sprung for an ~170lb rider.

You are the first guy who has anything nice to say about the front suspension on FZ-09 ... Mostly people say, it's fine for putting around, but when pushed it simply is not what you call compliant anymore. And the way the front fork works, you cannot really make it so, accept to spring it correctly for your weight and preferred riding.

If you want a naked bike thats comfy, has power and classic motorcycle looks and sound. Dont count out a monster especially an older one like mine.. It rides like a dream and looks like bike imho

I have an older 2005 version and they can be had a for a good price

uby6eje4.jpg

7yjapa4y.jpg

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

You are the first guy who has anything nice to say about the front suspension on FZ-09 ... Mostly people say, it's fine for putting around, but when pushed it simply is not what you call compliant anymore. And the way the front fork works, you cannot really make it so, accept to spring it correctly for your weight and preferred riding.

There are not many negatives about the new FZ09, so the reports of the actual shortcomings seem to be exaggerated by the internetz. Read "suspension is very poor". Is it as good as my RaceTech forks on the trackbike? Heck no, but it is perfectly fine for the avg rider. The spring rate is light for me, but it shouldn't be a reason for people to write-off this bike. Of course proper weight springs and damping to match will make it better. You can say that about many bikes.

Last edited:
Wow.. Looks like the nth American love affair with fairing bikes or cruisers is changing. Standard bikes getting much more attention

As somebody who bought the FZ-09.....

The suspension issues are really exaggerated. Obviously a super sport is going to perform better on a race track.

That being said, there are many options for "resolving" the suspension issues.

The engine on the FZ09 is absolutely stunning IMO. That is something you can't easily swap out :p

EDIT: Insurance on the FZ07 and FZ09 are almost identical for me. YMMV ;)

There are not many negatives about the new FZ09, so the reports of the actual shortcomings seem to be exaggerated by the internetz. Read "suspension is very poor". Is it as good as my RaceTech forks on the trackbike? Heck no, but it is perfectly fine for the avg rider. The spring rate is light for me, but it shouldn't be a reason for people to write-off this bike. Of course proper weight springs and damping to match will make it better. You can say that about many bikes.

I am not going to argue, but have a look below, just a quick list of posts from forum which you probably already are a member of ... the internetz is not always wrong.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-builds/412-stoltec-project-bike-gonna-long-thread-16.html

Best spent 250$ on suspension the internetz claimed to be just cheap OEM (basically it's a primitive design to cost little; one cartridge is basically dead just moving oil through pre-drilled holes ....). Dramatically improved a compliance of the bike
http://www.stoltecmoto.com/shop/fz-09/14-fz-09-fork-piston-kit-service/

The guy goes into a great detail how by flashing the stock ECU he made the bike a lot better (removing restrictions on fuel cut-offs at various gears and RPM's, re-setting throttle response at various throttle openings and modes). The fueling snatch is basically gone
http://www.stoltecmoto.com/product-category/yamaha/fz-09/

Sure, if someone buys the FZ09 to wheel slowly around with no fun, you could argue that the bike in OEM state is fine ... but does really anyone who bought FZ-09 does that??

You bought a great bike, just spend another 350$ (and probably stiffer springs in your case) and the good bike will become a great bike. That's pretty good deal in my opinion.

I can't find any reviews that state the suspension is very poor as you stated. Snatchy throttle? These people obviously have never ridden a bike with a quick-turn throttle.

Good to know there are options to upgrade mapping and suspension for this bike. Would have been a shame if tuners decided that everyother bike is worth making upgrades for, but not this one.

Bang for the buck, these new FZ's are a winner. Mine is stock, and I do not wheel it around slowly, and I have a ton of fun riding it. I for sure want to demo the FZ7. Looks like a super fun bike too.

The FZ09 only has preload and rebound damping. The suspension is very poor, it's undersprung with poor rebound damping. A great little bike otherwise.

That's a deal breaker. My guess is that next year's model will have proper suspension.

I can't find any reviews that state the suspension is very poor as you stated. Snatchy throttle? These people obviously have never ridden a bike with a quick-turn throttle.

ALL reviews criticize the suspension, Ari Henning at Motorcyclist is doing a long-term test and all he is doing is trying to get the suspension working, which says a lot for a cheerleading magazine.
The throttle issue is the ECU mapping, which is due to the emissions testing. They tend to shut off fuel too soon on roll-off to reduce emissions, so we are now in this game of having to re-flash ECUs to get a rideable motor. In some cases, like MV Agusta, it's pretty bad.

ALL reviews criticize the suspension, Ari Henning at Motorcyclist is doing a long-term test and all he is doing is trying to get the suspension working, which says a lot for a cheerleading magazine.
The throttle issue is the ECU mapping, which is due to the emissions testing. They tend to shut off fuel too soon on roll-off to reduce emissions, so we are now in this game of having to re-flash ECUs to get a rideable motor. In some cases, like MV Agusta, it's pretty bad.

The point is that statements (not actual reviews) saying suspension is "very poor" is a misnomer. The suspension is FAR from very poor. At least it came with adjustments. When the FZ8 came out, there weren't adjustments. The stock suspension is one of the few weaker points, but if anyone is considering an FZ, they should not dismiss it because the suspension isn't dialed. It's plenty fine to get out and ride on safely. Would I want to take it out in stock form in Advanced group paces at a track day, nope. It would be too squirrly. For beginner to spirited riding, stock is fine as is.

The throttle issue is not from decel. The 'snatchy' throttle is from initial roll-on. Going straight from fuel being cut-off on decel, to an abrupt throttle mapping in the sportier A mode, causes the initial jerk. Standard mode is better, B mode is barely perceivable. If you're use to riding with a quick-turn throttle, the 'snatch' is a non-issue. If you're use to a drive by cable bike with no torque, it will catch you by suprise. There's throttle profile fixes, but you loose the awesome engine braking. Does it make for an un-rideable motor.. LOL, you're kidding right? Again, another misnomer of an opinion. I can't comment on MV because I've never been on one. I should probably read up on it, and spread the word in my opinion how terrible it is.

Anyhow, I'm going to go toss a leg over my terrible suspension, awful throttle response bike and have more fun riding around than on my SS. Weird, eh.

Some vids of the cool little FZ-07 (MT-07)

[video=youtube_share;eWBaH932Ero]http://youtu.be/eWBaH932Ero[/video]

Last edited:
2 MT-07's

[video=youtube_share;3UGiGkTX4uo]http://youtu.be/3UGiGkTX4uo[/video]

The point is that statements (not actual reviews) saying suspension is "very poor" is a misnomer. The suspension is FAR from very poor.

It all depends on rider weight, but I'm 190 and I spent 20 minutes on the FZ09 and concluded it would take a major rehaul of suspension at both ends. The throttle issue was no big deal, but I noticed it while going off and on throttle while in one gear, but similar to many fuel injected bikes.

You're much more demanding of a dialed suspension than I am. I'm 220, and rode 2-up in the smokeys for 3 days straight. The only negative effect of the undersprung front was excessive brake dive. Handled great otherwise. Riding solo on the dragon, and the suspension was perfectly fine, even when the pegs were dragging.

The seat on the other hand sucks for 7h days... and this coming from an FZ-09 fanboy.

Still, despite it's few minor weakpoints, it's the most fun bike I have ever ridden. The motor is amazing.

You're much more demanding of a dialed suspension than I am. I'm 220, and rode 2-up in the smokeys for 3 days straight. The only negative effect of the undersprung front was excessive brake dive.

That's the problem, touch the brake and there is no suspension travel and stopping is bouncy on real world roads. Springs will fix half of that, but the dampening is non existent.
I don't see the point of a lower price point bike when you then have to invest a fortune to get it proper.

Regardless, rumors are already next year will see that engine in a faired bike with decent suspension.

Back
Top Bottom