Need to replace chain ! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need to replace chain !

katoch

Hello Riders , I need some assistance !

Have to change the Suzuki GSXR 600 YR 2002 chain for the 1st time.Not very sure how to count the links.But the way I did the count it comes to 55.
Please advise if there a standard # of links for the above mentioned bike.
And where should I buy one from...ebay ? local store ? DID brand?

Appreciate any responses in advance !!

Just contact your local store and they should be able to help you out. You mght wanna check your sprockets too while your at it.

For parts I recommend no one except glen at flying squirrel. Located in the east end but can ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for replacing the sprockets with the chain. They wear as a set.

If it is a riveted master link like DID brand, then I use my chain breaker/riveter and cut the chain to size, so extra links never bothered me.

Find out what brand of chain you want then price compare.

55 links would be a very short chain... When you buy a replacement chain, most come with 120 links. Just lay them side-by-side and make your new chain the same number of links as the old chain you're removing.

DID and EK are both good ones to get.

55 links would be a very short chain..

+1
You most likely only counted the outside links, you most likely have a 110 link of you counted every other one correctly.
As mentioned definitely replace sprockets with it out your chain will not last as long.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Your manual should indicate the amount of teeth on sprockets & the amount of links on your chain. If you did not increase the amount of teeth on the sprockets it should be the same. If you clean your sprockets you will see a number stamp on it. That's the amount of teeth on the sprocket

If you've got access to an impact gun you can do the sprocket/chain yourself (if you get the clip-on one and not the riveted)

Triple check the chain length, especially if you are changing sprocket sizes and it may change the amount of links you need.

You can use this website to check out how changing sprocket teeth will affect your bike (top speed, torque, wear, etc.)

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

If you've got access to an impact gun you can do the sprocket/chain yourself (if you get the clip-on one and not the riveted)

Triple check the chain length, especially if you are changing sprocket sizes and it may change the amount of links you need.

You can use this website to check out how changing sprocket teeth will affect your bike (top speed, torque, wear, etc.)

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

You don't need an impact gun, you can break anything with enough leverage. Make sure you have the bike in gear & have a friend apply the rear brake

DO NOT use a clip on style master link on an SS ALWAYS get a rivet style master link. They're fine for small CC, dirt bikes, etc but not a 100 HP+ SS. I got a DID ERV3 chain and had to cut off about 3 links. I would also suggest changing your sprockets at the same time. I like Renthal sprockets.

Yes get the rivet tool, change the sprockets. Loosen the front sprocket before taking the chain off :)

I just lay my old chain next to the new chain and count and cut the links, you can see how much your old chain stretched.

When I replace my chain I always replace my sprockets and vise versa. Install the new sprockets, put your chain adjusters close to the front or where your prefer, guide the new chain around the new sprockets and you can see exactly how much needs to be removed. This is the best method especially if you plan to change the gearing.

I use a removable clip master link on my 80 HP race bike and have done so at Daytona with no chain issues. So a clip masterlink isn't only for little dirt bikes! If you never change sprockets then a rivetted master link does make sense. I also suggest that any chain will stretch once it has been used for a bit so expect that you will have to adjust the chain tension several times before it is "set". A decent chain breaker/rivetter kit should be under $100.00 and worth having in your tool box. Any shop can install a new chain, a multi-brand shop will just charge you more to do it. parillaguy

What happens to racers who change the sprocket ratio for different track? Do they change chains too?

1 set of sprocket + chain for each track?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I use a removable clip master link on my 80 HP race bike and have done so at Daytona with no chain issues. So a clip masterlink isn't only for little dirt bikes! If you never change sprockets then a rivetted master link does make sense. I also suggest that any chain will stretch once it has been used for a bit so expect that you will have to adjust the chain tension several times before it is "set". A decent chain breaker/rivetter kit should be under $100.00 and worth having in your tool box. Any shop can install a new chain, a multi-brand shop will just charge you more to do it. parillaguy

When I bought my gsxr the previous owner used a clip style link cylinder, it was safety wired and had some silicone on it. It is absolutely do-able, but I don't think it's worth the risk. Most reputable chains come with a rivet master link, I know my DID did.

Last edited:
What happens to racers who change the sprocket ratio for different track? Do they change chains too?

1 set of sprocket + chain for each track?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Not usually unless it's a significant change or the rider is very picky or good enough to notice a change in wheelbase in which case they probably have an extra chain.

Back
Top Bottom