Installing grips | GTAMotorcycle.com

Installing grips

msatrakkoic

Hi guy,

Im looking to get a set of grips for my bike. Did some googling and didnt find much help. Is it hard to do? I saw somewhere you have to cut the old ones. And im worried that I might mess up the throttle cable or something. And whem installing I didnt get much info on how to put them on.

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

air gun or wd.40 are your freinds.

Spray with hair spray (really) and pop em on.Sticks really well.

If you have access to an air compressor, this would be the easiest way. Or some dish soap and and water, soak the grips in them and slide them over the clip-on bars. Give it some time to dry and you're good to go. No need for hair spray or any of that nonsense.

Last edited:
If you have access to an air compressor, this would be the easiest way. Or some dish soap and and water, soak the grips in them and slide them over the clip-on bars. Give it some time to dry and you're good to go. No need for hair spray or any of that nonsense.

Hairspray hands down the cheapest and easiest to use when installing grips. No need for soaking your grips in dishsoap or any of that nonsense.

these cost less locally.

+1
I think they are $14.99 at RD

Last edited:
Small screw driver and WD40 with tube. Pry up rubber grip end, spray lube and twist grip off. Clean bars with alcohol and use windex and slide on new grips, let dry.... ride away! Simple EH!

Small screw driver and WD40 with tube. Pry up rubber grip end, spray lube and twist grip off. Clean bars with alcohol and use windex and slide on new grips, let dry.... ride away! Simple EH!

I did the screwdriver and wd-40 trick, then upped it by spraying contact cleaner on the bars to remove residue, then a light sanding.

I installed heated Oxford grips, so made sure I used grip glue so the buggers wouldn't spin. At minimum I'd use the hairspray to install the new grips.

Brake cleaner is great to install ans goo gone to get all the residue off before installing the new ones on

Before I had a compressor I would slide a screw driver under the grip and then slip zip in, roll the screw driver over a bit an repeat. Total of about 6 zip ties and the old grip slides off nice and easy without residue. Hairspray for the new grip and it pops right on.

+1 for hairspray. Don't use any kind of soap, you may not like when you get caught in the rain. Just sayin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for hairspray. Don't use any kind of soap, you may not like when you get caught in the rain. Just sayin...

Dish soap with water will allow you to slide your grip on easily and once the water dries, they're on there good. They will not turn or get loose in the rain, I'm speaking based on experience. There are different methods, I'm aware of that, I'm just saying what worked for me.

I sprayed them with brake cleaner last night and they slid right on. Then. I used stainless steel wire and wired them on. They're not going anywhere.

I sprayed them with brake cleaner last night and they slid right on. Then. I used stainless steel wire and wired them on. They're not going anywhere.

U have pics? Im kinda curious how this looks like

Wiring the grips on is pretty common with dirtbikes.

Back
Top Bottom