Lost Jewellery | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lost Jewellery

For good or for bad, I am a big fan of getting a lawyer.
It just has been very beneficial for me in the past.
It only works if you are in the right, and with the law at your side, which I believe this is the case for you.

So, my opinion is the opposite than others on the board. Why don't you chat with a lawyer?
The situation is that a heirloom with sentimental value cannot be replaced by new earrings freshly made, so the jeweler cannot properly compensate you. At the end of the day, even with new earrings, your wife will suffer loss. She already did.

The jeweler, as the bailee in this situation, is held to a standard of due care. Melting the earrings is clearly negligence from my point of view. Chat to a lawyer, many places have free consultations, and in 20 minutes at the phone with one of them you can learn a lot to make an informed decision.

To be clear, I am not a fan of litigation. That's really the last resource. I am a fan of getting a lawyer.

I hope it all works out.

For good or for bad, I am a big fan of getting a lawyer.
It just has been very beneficial for me in the past.
It only works if you are in the right, and with the law at your side, which I believe this is the case for you.

So, my opinion is the opposite than others on the board. Why don't you chat with a lawyer?
The situation is that a heirloom with sentimental value cannot be replaced by new earrings freshly made, so the jeweler cannot properly compensate you. At the end of the day, even with new earrings, your wife will suffer loss. She already did.

The jeweler, as the bailee in this situation, is held to a standard of due care. Melting the earrings is clearly negligence from my point of view. Chat to a lawyer, many places have free consultations, and in 20 minutes at the phone with one of them you can learn a lot to make an informed decision.

To be clear, I am not a fan of litigation. That's really the last resource. I am a fan of getting a lawyer.

I hope it all works out.

I don't wanna throw my opinion on this but would anyone know if successful lawsuits would come out of insurance? I mean, if so, why not. Your wife (or gf) is clearly distressed. Nevermind the monetary value of the item, but the memories and history attached with it is irreplaceable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't wanna throw my opinion on this but would anyone know if successful lawsuits would come out of insurance? I mean, if so, why not. Your wife (or gf) is clearly distressed. Nevermind the monetary value of the item, but the memories and history attached with it is irreplaceable.

I am not sure if insurance would apply in this case. Depends on the policy the jeweler has.

If the shop says "we LOST your earrings", OK, then you lost them. Let’s file a police report and go through your insurance.

But the shop is saying something completely different, “we made a mistake, we destroyed the item” which is carelessness / negligence... Which insurance may not cover (I think it is unlikely).

In any case, insurance would only replace the monetary cost of the item to a certain limit, without taking into account the sentimental value, or damages and losses already incurred.

Again, please note - I am not saying “go and sue them”.
Just saying be aware of your rights, think carefully of what fair compensation is (or means to you), and make informed decisions.

Sorry for the (emotional) loss on your wife's part. She'll get over it in time..

Probably when she realizes it's better to have a reincarnated object rather than no object at all.

So the most valuable / "precious" components are still available? All this over the bit that sticks through her ear? Seriously?

Well geez, how would you feel if your family jewels were torn apart then partly melted?

Does the jeweler still have access to the gold?

If so it may be a way to have your wife redesign the earings into something more modern. Although it may be different but some people do this.

I know I would be devastated if someone melted down my grandfathers ring.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Ya, I think this is a clear sign to stay away from this broad...losing 5 days of sleep, fainting, wailing and crying like a child that didn't get the toy they wanted in their happy meal.....

I can appreciate the sentimental value and importance of "things", but at the end of the day they are THINGS! Perhaps your girlfriend needs to get out and see the world and how bad some people have it.

Get a grip.

Wow. I really cant believe some of the replies here. Although I also believe she is over reacting no one has stopped to think what these earings mean to her.

Obviously they ment alot, possibly even being left to her from her mother who has passed away.
Getting rid of you wife because of an over reaction to lost earings is frankly a dick move.

Women are wired differently then men. They cry when they are happy. They cry when they are sad. They cry for no logical reason whatsoever. Its life, and the way it it.

Wow! Sorry to hear about all this! Tell her that they can use the same stones and new gold so it's some new with something old. Tell her that she can still have the memories of her Mother with the new earrings.

Really a rough situation you're in right now!!! I sent in a gold ring I was given for my 18th Bday to be cleaned and resized. It was ruined as they melted the ring and made a new ring out of it with another ring. The orders were mixed and they again apologized but still it wasn't the same ring. I was upset as the original ring was a gift to my from my Uncle who has been a great help to me in my life.

Hopefully she can see past this and use the stones in new earrings to help her with her memories of the good times. Knowing she can pass along these new ones to her daughter(or maybe you need to help her make one to pass them onto!!!) and tell her the story of the earrings which has a part from her mother and herself passed down.

Either way take care of your woman and she'll thank you one day. And when that day comes... press record and play it as your ringtone! She'll always be happy to have you! You're welcome for this last bit of advice!

Didn't she cry & ***** at the shop?

Ok,, a lot if opinions here.. I knew that when I posted. ... She isn't a basket case about the situation.. maybe I have poor writting skils and conveyed a bit much.... if they were GONE, and no recourse was avail.. I know it would be done deal.... get on with life.... but it is still ongoing, and not resolved yet... I was sort of wondering if she falls in love with the new settings,, then great! . . . But if not,, can she ask for them to try again,, or modify something,, or .... ??
Thanks for the replies tho......

Of course you can. Although any good jewler should be able to show you a design off the bat without having to build it first.

Make sure shes calm before making a final decision on the designs. If she's still heart broken she may not settle for any design except for the orginal.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I would only get a lawyer involved if I could trust the lawyer to accurately advise on the situation. If you get an ambulance chaser it will only make the situation worse. If you become unreasonable more lawyers get involved along with insurance companies.

You could be looking a years of litigation and you will be the only person losing sleep over it. To everyone else it's just a case number.

The first thing is to establish the street value of the items and go from there. A GOOD lawyer would advise you of how a court would typically see the case and then negotiate.

That chipped coffee mug your dad used to drink his morning coffee from might be worth more to you than your house but you couldn't get a dime for it at a garage sale. Sentimental value sucks.

well, she finally when in to pick up the replacement pieces,,, and looks like she is pleased they look and fit very nice, sort of exactly what she wanted in the beginning .... so that said, I think it is a happy ending for all parties..
thanks.. there are some very understanding compassionate people here!
Ride On!

I was going to say.... why get a lawyer involved if the shop was going to replace/rebuild settings with the original gems anyways? Replacement is all a lawyer can get.. probably. Unless you want to sue for emotional damages etc.

Back
Top Bottom