Lost Jewellery | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lost Jewellery

meester_jamie

Site Supporter
What would you expect in this situation?

My wife took some fancy, $$$$ earrings into a jewellery repair... they are heirloom,, there is a lot of personal value to them as well... they are clearly valuable just based on facts, cut color clarity weight ,, not the art, or the vintage, or the sentimental...

There is a matching necklace and pendant..

She wanted new backings put on the earrings so they locked into her ear.. so they just don't pop out and get lost..

This jeweler is a place that does the work in house.. and that is one of the big reasons she went there... she is a customer there.. has done business .. and felt comfortable leaving them with this jeweler...

a week late on their promise.... THEY call her.... and say "we LOST your earrings", Did you already pick them up??

so,, completely off guard.. after a bit of silly conversation,, the store asks her to come in ...

They come to the conclusion that ,, yes,, they have disappeared!

Now... she goes strange,, and searches the files at home for an appraisal form, or something to prove she owned them and what value.. etc

so,, not coming up with a good result,, we hash out what might be her request for reasonable payment.. but this is driving her crazy... she was crying,, didn't eat well, or sleep for 5 days.... went from angry to crazy crying ...

all I could offer is..."what can you do now?" IF they search and search.. and can't find them.... what can you do?? they are gone!! .. but they should have to pay!!??

Well 6 days later , they call... and explain what happened!!! ........ Turns out there is 2 work tables.. 2 jewelers... one does repair... the other melts scrap down to reuse...

They claim the bag with her earrings must have fallen off the one table,, to the other bench... yup... the scrap table... and that jeweler pulls out the gems...and melted the gold.... he admitted doing it.. he has the gems in the bag..

MELTED THE GOLD she say!!!!!!! and almost faints! I had to hang up the phone and calm her.........

She called in sick to work.... and sat around till she got angry again... and drove to the store.... they apologized profusely.. and said the would make new clusters, and add the backs she wanted.... NO CHARGE!! .....

But you know... now she doesn't even want to go pick them up... she says they aren't "moms" earings any more, they are new ones......

Realistically,,,?? what can be done now??

The weather is nice right now.. and she wants to go out on the bike and get her mind back into a good place.. but I don't want her riding till she can THINK!... she seems to go off into a funk... daze... I am afraid she will go on the bike...
I don't want to think about it.. sigh

Last edited:
Ouch. I mean really there's nothing you can do except hope they can make them exactly how they were. That would really sick being an heirloom piece. Hope it works out in the end somehow for your wife. Good luck

What a screwup. She is right to be upset and there isn't even a guarantee they would be the same gems too.

Tell her you want to make a kid now so she can have a baby for Christmas. That should distract her.

In my opinion they sound like a great jeweler. They made a mistake, admitted it, want to make it right somehow. Im guessing 99% of jewelers wouldn't even bother to tell you what happened. Go in with her, let them explain and apologize, let her grieve over the lost earrings, let them see her do it. It will give her closure and they can tell her what they can do. Take in the matching stuff and sit down with them. Im sure they will come up with something totally different that will make her happy.

She is a woman and as such common sense and reason does not apply. The only thing you can do is try to distract her with something else. Get her a pet, don't let her turn to food. But seriously, giving it time is all you can do.

Holy batman, its just earrings for gods sake! You'd think her entire family was murdered by that reaction...

Maybe remind her that about 20k people died today from hunger, give or take a couple thousand, and another 20 will join them tomorrow, the day after etc...

First world problems...

Holy batman, its just earrings for gods sake! You'd think her entire family was murdered by that reaction...

Maybe remind her that about 20k people died today from hunger, give or take a couple thousand, and another 20 will join them tomorrow, the day after etc...

First world problems...

I just read this and had to post a view that you as a male will hopefully understand. You inherit your grandfathers motorcycle, a Vincent Blackshadow. You take it to the bike mechanic that has done plenty of work for you in the past with no problems, and you trust them. Its not a restoration just a tune up you're getting after all. Then you get a call saying I sorry our jitney driver backed over it accidentally and scraped it. The shop says we have the gas cap and a few bits, we'll do something to replace it, it'll be just like new. How do you react to that? I'm sure you'll be the mature person, you are, and realize its only a motorcycle after all, not those 20K poor people you were talking about, or your whole family being murdered. So how'd it feel?

First world problems...

All this for earrings?
Your wife sounds like a 13 year old.
I can understand being ****** for a day or two but not eating, missing work, incessant crying...
You must be one seriously understanding and patient kinda fellow.

She is a woman and as such common sense and reason does not apply. The only thing you can do is try to distract her with something else. Get her a pet, don't let her turn to food. But seriously, giving it time is all you can do.

:lmao:

Different strokes. ..... sentimental is different to everyone. Doesn't make it right or wrong. Personally I have my great grandfathers 67 chevelle he bought new with 30k miles on it. I remember goinf for rides in it as a little kid with him. If something like this happened to it I'd be ****** too.

I just read this and had to post a view that you as a male will hopefully understand. You inherit your grandfathers motorcycle, a Vincent Blackshadow. You take it to the bike mechanic that has done plenty of work for you in the past with no problems, and you trust them. Its not a restoration just a tune up you're getting after all. Then you get a call saying I sorry our jitney driver backed over it accidentally and scraped it. The shop says we have the gas cap and a few bits, we'll do something to replace it, it'll be just like new. How do you react to that? I'm sure you'll be the mature person, you are, and realize its only a motorcycle after all, not those 20K poor people you were talking about, or your whole family being murdered. So how'd it feel?

I'd be ****** but wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Whats getting upset going to solve? Will it turn back time? I didn't think so.

I guess thats why they say men are logical and women are emotional...

Not trying to be an insensitive *** to the OP, but if this is her reaction to losing jewelery can you imagine when a family member is lost?
god help you...

Last edited:
I'm always amazed at how long it takes a realistic person to get in here. For fucks sake, it doesn't matter what the item is, it's only an ITEM, not a living thing. Go get a nice piece of jewelry to replace it with and add your story to it to start the "heirloom".

Really. First world problems.

its not a question of realistic/unrealistic, its what's important to them. My wife could watch the news and see 30 people die in a mudslide and cry over the vet clinic that lost 3 cats in the slide. With sentimental items you can have an emotional investment that goes way beyond the value of the goods, they can represent a link to the past that can be hard to just wash over. I wont pretend to understand it, but I can certainly see it happen.

In my opinion they sound like a great jeweler. They made a mistake, admitted it, want to make it right somehow. Im guessing 99% of jewelers wouldn't even bother to tell you what happened. Go in with her, let them explain and apologize, let her grieve over the lost earrings, let them see her do it. It will give her closure and they can tell her what they can do. Take in the matching stuff and sit down with them. Im sure they will come up with something totally different that will make her happy.

I'm with this. Bad things happen to good people and if the jeweler is up front and willing to do what they can, try to work with them. They sound decent. Look at the silver lining. You have a jeweler that is being honest and accomodating, a rare commodity today. Most companies lawyer up.

Try to pull up some family pictures of the items being worn by your wife or MIL, just for reference and attempt an evaluation.

If the Mrs. is having crying fits don't even let her drive a car. I'm not kidding. She has to get her head straightened out first.

and that jeweler pulls out the gems...and melted the gold.... he admitted doing it.. he has the gems in the bag..

So the most valuable / "precious" components are still available? All this over the bit that sticks through her ear? Seriously?

I also am in agreement with this. Really unfortunate, and the customer has a right to be upset and compensated.

But what's done, is done, and that can't be changed now. Openness, honesty and the appearing willingness to try and 'make this right' is all you can hope for, and exactly what the jeweler is doing. Everyone will make mistakes. Not everyone is honest and accountable.

Whether or not an agreement can be reached to satisfy both parties, still to be determined.

Really unfortunate situation, as both parties seem to be good and honest people/companies. I really do wish everyone the best, and I believe cooler heads will prevail. I do get the impression it's a jeweler who cares, and I am sure they are losing sleep over this as well.

Best wishes, sincerely.

Back
Top Bottom