Are there any courses designed specifically to teach counter-steering? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are there any courses designed specifically to teach counter-steering?

One of the things they described when I took the CSB school was " remember when you rode a bicycle with no hands...and you looked down..when you leaned left the bars moved to the right..and vice versa ' It's a natural thing..a motorcycle just has more forces at work. Just a gentle push on the bars initiates the lean.
Everybody who rides counter steers...some just aren't aware of it.

As everyone said... when you start riding you will be doing that without knowing... but if you want to understand more of the physics behind, here's a great video.

[video=youtube_share;PgUOOwnZcDU]http://youtu.be/PgUOOwnZcDU[/video]

If you are still worried...take your bicycle to the road and start riding...any speed. Gently push the one bar away from you and you will notice the forces make you want to "fall into that direction". Which ever arm pushes away, decides the direction of your turn. Easy stuff..have fun!

All of the courses will teach it, but as a new rider they usually use the KISS Rule for explaining it. Newbies tend to over think so they say "wanna go right? Push right" to keep it simple.

Have fun at the course, I'm sure you will have a blast.

I think once you're on a bike and start riding this will become more obvious. Push the bars and feel the reaction of the bike. That being said I think saying it's so obvious is not totally accurate. Lots of people ride motorcycles and really have no clue how to turn them hard with proper counter-steering. It's a skill that needs to be practiced and learned and practiced again along with all other riding skills. There are some good books out there too, beyond the Motorcycle Handbook.

Riceburner - is that Shannonville in your avatar?

Track day or school or racing?

As everyone said... when you start riding you will be doing that without knowing... but if you want to understand more of the physics behind, here's a great video.

[video=youtube_share;PgUOOwnZcDU]http://youtu.be/PgUOOwnZcDU[/video]

that was very well illustrated

Back
Top Bottom