Are there any courses designed specifically to teach counter-steering? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are there any courses designed specifically to teach counter-steering?

Nozomi

Hello, I'm a new member who is planning to get their motorcycle license this summer. I have studied the Ontario motorcycle Handbook for several years now (off and on) in anticipation of learning how to ride. However, I've always been terrified of the idea of counter-steering. part of the problem is I can't find any place it is well explained. Does anyone know of any courses or programs that are geared specifically to teach counter-steering? I had been planning to take the Humber College course, which appears to have good reviews, however there is little to no mention of teaching counter-steering, and I'm hoping to find somewhere that teaches it as a full time course itself, as opposed to simply adding it in to the curriculum. Every other aspect of riding makes sense to me and I'm confident I can acquire the skills with practice and good instruction, but this is the reason I have put off learning for so long. I'm hoping to remove any excuses! Many thanks for any information that anyone can provide, have a great day!

Or the specific part of that video posted above:

[video=youtube;JWuTcJcqAng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWuTcJcqAng[/video]

Btw there is really nothing to counter-steering (or push steering as some call it), but don't be scared.... scared means tense, and tense is BAD on a motorcycle... stay relaxed, loose, let the bike do most of the work! I'm a newbie too, just got my license in September of last year, never rode a motorcycle before that... but it came naturally. Hopefully you have the same fun experience I did! :D

Anyway, watch that video in its entirety... and buy the book A Twist of the Wrist II - it'll open your eyes! :D

Oh gosh, people are driving without hands in these videos... This was supposed to put my mind at ease??? haha

While you might not think about it this way.... have you ever ridden a bicycle? I race xc mountain bikes and the steering is the same concept. Always push. If you pull you're going down 9 times out of 10.

They're "riding" with no hands ;)

And no one crashed while riding with no hands so it should put your mind at ease!

There are no courses on just counter-steering because it's really not that complicated to learn. You're definitely way over thinking it. The theory may sound counter intuitive but I assure you in practice it feels quite natural. Take the motorcycle safety course and you'll see. Don't sweat too much over it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

People all over the world just get on the bike and ride - your body figures out what to do. If you can ride a bicycle you're good to start. The video posted is very good information but don't take it as gospel either.

Stop over thinking it. Go take the course, you'll learn how to ride. Counter steering is taught on every course, it's impossible to ride without doing it.

RTI taught it as of September 2013.
Specifically had an exercise to counter-steer and we spent a good amount of time on it.

Great course, great staff (Sharron and Obi!) , pray for rain!

If you have ridden a bicycle, you have already learned to counter steer. You just don't realize it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop over thinking it. Go take the course, you'll learn how to ride. Counter steering is taught on every course, it's impossible to ride without doing it.

lol, exactly... To the OP, if you're not push steering, you're going straight. :)

Just rode a bike on the street for the first time on Sunday. Anything over ~20km/h and you have to counter steer. Counter steering works on the gyroscopic effect. The angular momentum of the spinning spinning wheel creates a perpendicular moment to the direction of motion(causing the bike to lean - imagine someone pushing very hard on the side of the motorcycle) when any steering is applied. This is called gyroscopic precession. The faster you're going the more important counter steering becomes.

But as you try it a few times, it becomes more and more intuitive and hopefully you won't try to do the opposite during an emergency.

Humber college will teach you about counter-steering it's part of their course.

Counter steering works on the gyroscopic effect. The angular momentum of the spinning spinning wheel creates a perpendicular moment to the direction of motion(causing the bike to lean - imagine someone pushing very hard on the side of the motorcycle) when any steering is applied. This is called gyroscopic precession.

This only accounts for a small portion of the force that causes the lean. Moving the contract patch from under the center of gravity does most of the work.

There are no courses on just counter-steering because it's really not that complicated to learn. You're definitely way over thinking it. The theory may sound counter intuitive but I assure you in practice it feels quite natural. Take the motorcycle safety course and you'll see. Don't sweat too much over it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Best post!!! Don't sweat it...it really does come natural with a little time and confidence.
You'll see...if you want to go right...push that right bar away and the bike will "fall" in to the right. Easy physic ;)

Obstacle avoidance using counter steering was taught at Humber. It's a more detailed situation when dodging a pothole etc. It comes very easily so don't overthink it. It's really a fun maneuver, even on a 900 pound Goldwing.

Back
Top Bottom