California Superbike School | GTAMotorcycle.com

California Superbike School

poossieposse1

Site Supporter
My husband and I are booked to do CSS in Vegas in April. Really, really excited but also very nervous about riding a BMW S1000RR on the track. It's a bit of a frantic bike for me. Husband has one and when it was on the road, I tried it out a few times. Like I said it felt frantic for me. I had initially refused to take the course because of the bikes they use, then BimmerMike convinced me I would be ok. I hope you're right buddy :confused: Well at least I will have someone to blame now LOL

I've never ridden anything bigger then my Daytona 675R on the track so this is a bit intimidating. OK, maybe a lot intimidating for me. I've been assured that they run the bikes in rain mode ... right so that's the only thing that's keeping me sane right now!!!

Wish me luck !!!! I'm gonna need it :lmao:

Last edited:
I'll bet you do just fine. They run schools all over the country and internationally and have it down to a science. For sure they will have dealt with many, many people with your same reservations. Seriously, relax. I'm predicting you will love it.

AFAIK they have them set in rain mode, so they're as tame as they can get.

Well guys, if I don't come back you'll know what happened. Died in my sleep. :violent1: BimmerMike, I hope you're satisfied.

Last edited:
Great school as I took it myself. Don't worry about the bike itself. For the first few lessons you won't leave 3rd gear and the bike is in rain mode. I rode it like a 600 while in that mode, until you get the green light by your instructor to put it in race mode.

than hold on.. Lol. I actually really liked the bike so much that I want one for the track.

You're lucky and I'm so ****in jealous... have a blast! I'm sure you'll do fine!

Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom and encouragement :cool:

Try not to laugh terribly hard at this: I love, love, love lefts on the the track and hate, hate, hate rights. Just received the track layout and direction for Las Vegas, and it would seem, it runs counter clockwise ... yahooo ... more lefts than rights ;)

Don't know what it is about rights. Doesn't feel right. Can't shift my *** or upper body position properly off the bike. It just feels unnatural, so I fight it ... it's sheer fear for me to do rights properly. Don't know why that is !!!

Do you have a side that you favour over the other? And why?

I used to favour lefts a lot, now just a little bit. It might have to do with your using your hands / arms to hang onto the bike, which of course you really shouldn't be doing. Having the throttle hand on the low side can then be a problem. Or, when you hang off left you allow your left hand to move on the bar into a position that you can't do with your throttle hand, so you can't achieve the same body position on both sides. Probably the CSS coaches will help you with all this. You might actually be better off on a clockwise track so you would have more opportunity to practice what they teach you on your "bad" side.

Don't worry about impressing the coaches or other students, or being able to handle the bike or the track. Just go with an open mind and try to take it all in and do what they tell you in good faith. I don't know anyone who did the school and didn't learn a pile...except for one guy who told me that his instructor had such big boobs that he couldn't concentrate on what she was telling him.

I used to like lefts better. Then I did SMP Nelson a dozen times in 2 years. Now I like rights better. haha... for me it seems to be the way I move my body (rights I have more of a twist and lefts I shift straight over) and how I drop my elbow. I've worked on it in the last few seasons and lefts are almost as good as rights now.

I don't know anyone who did the school and didn't learn a pile...except for one guy who told me that his instructor had such big boobs that he couldn't concentrate on what she was telling him.

OMG that was hilarious :lmao:

Thanks for your reply. I went on the CSS forum and looked up the thread on this very issue. Your contributions to the thread were great. Really helped me. I'll be sure to post after my 2 day session. Thanks again to everyone that replied. It all started with you BimmerMike :thumbup: ... oh ya, and my husband :D

No need t be nervous. The electronics are so good, you can be at max lean, knee on the track, midcorner in 3rd gear, and and whack the throttle wide open, and nothing happens. Literally.

WELL today is the day!!! We leave in half an hour for Vegas. Getting really excited. I'll be sure to post after the course. Wish me luck :D

WELL today is the day!!! We leave in half an hour for Vegas. Getting really excited. I'll be sure to post after the course. Wish me luck :D

WELL, today I'm really envious!!!!! Have a lot of fun and take tons of pics. I'm gonna start saving for this mother and maybe next year.

Twist that wrist!!

OMG that was hilarious :lmao:

Thanks for your reply. I went on the CSS forum and looked up the thread on this very issue. Your contributions to the thread were great. Really helped me. I'll be sure to post after my 2 day session. Thanks again to everyone that replied. It all started with you BimmerMike :thumbup: ... oh ya, and my husband :D

I like that...putting me before your husband :D
Come to think of it there aren't that many ladies who can say it all started with me:lmao:

btw I think he was referring to Kristi Martel...luckily she wasn't in my group so I could pay attention to my instructor but there were a few distracting moments in the paddock :rolleyes:

An attractive lady wearing leather who can ride....if I wasn't distracted....somebody better check my pulse :)

WELL, today I'm really envious!!!!! Have a lot of fun and take tons of pics. I'm gonna start saving for this mother and maybe next year.

Twist that wrist!!

I couldn't afford the 2 day school so I take a one day and combine it with a vacation....done it 3 times already...got to ride Infinion, Streets of Willow and Barbour. Got a buddy in California who usually sees me at least once every winter.

FWIW, I have read that since they switched to the BMW's, they're crash rate dropped significantly. Maybe it is the rain mode.

We're back. She did really well. After 2 minutes on the S1000RR she was fine. Progressed a HUGE amount in the 2 days we were there, but I'll let her tell that story. Glad to be home but really missing that Vegas heat!

IT WAS A FRICKEN BLAST !!!!! The bike was awesome and the track was great. I can't even begin to tell you how much I learned. Really glad about doing 2 days. The first day just left you wanting more. My instructor was Steve and he was great. Really made me think and work things out a step at a time. Classroom instruction was really good and wasn't terribly technical - thank goodness. I was so impressed with their teaching methods I would love to do it again.

The crazy part was on the 2nd day we did the track backwards ... ARE YOU KIDDING!!! Well believe it or not, I did even better on the 2nd day and of course it was mostly rights. I still don't like rights as much as lefts, but I'm much better at them. Had a real problem with sticking my leg out (don't like it) so the coach worked with me on the lean bike. Said the only reason to stick it out was to be able to gauge how close you are to the track ... clearly that would not be a problem for me as I couldn't get over that far, but I was able to lean my upper body enough to make a serious difference for me.

A racer I will never ever be, but DAMN it was fun to learn. Don't poke too much fun at my picks as I am very proud of myself :cool: I'm #28

View attachment 34654

View attachment 34655

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom