Calabogie noise restriction | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Calabogie noise restriction

I picked up the FMF multi-layer repacking kit from Royal Distributing for $36. I'll install that on my Ninja and see how much quieter it is. As for Gsxxy, we have the option to put the stock exhaust back on for 'bogie if it fails since it's a clamp on muffler.

I picked up the FMF multi-layer repacking kit from Royal Distributing for $36. I'll install that on my Ninja and see how much quieter it is. As for Gsxxy, we have the option to put the stock exhaust back on for 'bogie if it fails since it's a clamp on muffler.

What exhaust did you end up with?

I have a full Akrapovic on my ZX6R with a small can from a BMW S1000 on it. The first attempt I tried not to rev it as high as they said because I was worried I was going to fail, that caused me to blow the test buy like 105. Then the guy told me to do one smooth rev, I still cut a little short from the 8000rpm they told me to rev too...He said I just barely passed by .1 Then the guy told me to keep the revs down and switch gears early lol

I would have brought my full length can with removable silencer, but my friend didnt feel like telling me about a noise test before we already got there...Soon as he told me I was like oh thanks Im not riding today because I know my bike is really loud. I heard them tell people that failed to go to the pits and try to make adjustments to make it quieter. Besides having another exhaust can or silencer to put on the only thing I could think of was pulling a plug or 2 to make my bike only run on 2 cylinders..lol

What exhaust did you end up with?

For Gsxxy, nothing yet. I have a full Ti/carbon Arata on the Ninja.

I have a full Akrapovic on my ZX6R with a small can from a BMW S1000 on it. The first attempt I tried not to rev it as high as they said because I was worried I was going to fail, that caused me to blow the test buy like 105. Then the guy told me to do one smooth rev, I still cut a little short from the 8000rpm they told me to rev too...He said I just barely passed by .1 Then the guy told me to keep the revs down and switch gears early lol

I would have brought my full length can with removable silencer, but my friend didnt feel like telling me about a noise test before we already got there...Soon as he told me I was like oh thanks Im not riding today because I know my bike is really loud. I heard them tell people that failed to go to the pits and try to make adjustments to make it quieter. Besides having another exhaust can or silencer to put on the only thing I could think of was pulling a plug or 2 to make my bike only run on 2 cylinders..lol

LOL... that might fool them I guess. ;) Yeah, I've heard that they're pretty relaxed about the rules, so my bike will probably be okay. We'll see what GSXR Girl ends up with, but riding in Green group they are more lenient also.

LOL... that might fool them I guess. ;) Yeah, I've heard that they're pretty relaxed about the rules, so my bike will probably be okay. We'll see what GSXR Girl ends up with, but riding in Green group they are more lenient also.

Just try to do one smooth rev to whatever rpm and let go, trying to do it slow or not smooth actually makes it louder....There was a huge difference between my 2 tests just because I didnt do it smoothly, less rpm was actually louder then more rpm just because of that. I kinda hesitated trying to keep the rpm low

I dont think it matters what group your in, I was in green because it was my first time there...And the test is run by someone that works for the track not a Pro6cycle employee I am pretty sure

I've never found them lenient on sound check. I usually fail first time up every season. And riding group makes no difference. They do, however, want you to ride, so will test you as many times as necessary. But if you're well over the limit you wont get a sound check sticker. Pro 6 shop at Calabogie usually carries a stock of db Dawgs. I carry one in my toolbox. I've also used crushed beer cans and safety wire to pass sound check.

I''ve also used crushed beer cans and safety wire to pass sound check.

I was pitted beside you a few years ago when you did that.(you: yellow Ducati as I recall) Those cans ended up on track. Don't red-green something up that can end up the track : ) thanks

I was pitted beside you a few years ago when you did that.(you: yellow Ducati as I recall) Those cans ended up on track. Don't red-green something up that can end up the track : ) thanks

One of them did. And I reported it to the marshalls once I realised what had happened. But you're right, as a solution to sound check it may work but (with hindsight) I shouldn't have gone on the track with them in place. And for that I apologise. Although I did safety wire the crap out of them it still didn't hold them in place.

Looks like I'll be using my stock exhaust when I head down to bogie this year.
I still don't understood why there are noise restrictions on race tracks....

Because of people who live near by (and were there before the track was) who don't like noise... :(

Looks like I'll be using my stock exhaust when I head down to bogie this year.
I still don't understood why there are noise restrictions on race tracks....

Have you been there? The area is really nice and quiet, kinda like cottage country....Imagine you lived there your whole life, then a track was build in the area and they made as much noise as they wanted with no restriction...Youd be pretty ****** off wouldn't you.....Same applies in a regular city neighborhood, there are different by laws for different areas usually but there are certain times you are not allowed to make excessive noise even in your own home....Like when the cops come knocking on the door at your house party, telling you to pipe it down a notch....

I think the only way new tracks manage to get approvals is to add restrictions like sound levels and time of day, like 9-5 (as an example), that the track can run.

I think the only way new tracks manage to get approvals is to add restrictions like sound levels and time of day, like 9-5 (as an example), that the track can run.

Lots of tracks in the UK fall under stringent noise controls, I know of one that had a Sunday morning one hour noise free because of the nearby Church. If memory serves me right TMP has on going issues with the residents.

Lots of tracks in the UK fall under stringent noise controls, I know of one that had a Sunday morning one hour noise free because of the nearby Church. If memory serves me right TMP has on going issues with the residents.

yeah TMP was shut down in 2004 until 2006 I believe. That's when they built the sound berm.

The track is doing one thing or another almost every day of the week. If you lived nearby the constant drone of cars and bikes would get annoying realllll quick. Sure, it's in the middle of nowhere, but a few people still live nearby.

100dB is a more than acceptable limit for a bike to pass imo.

Calabogie is a quiet track. You can stand at the entrance sign and not realize anyone is running. Go near any of the dirt tracks and ovals in ontario and you can hear them for a few kms away. However, they generally only race one day a week so it's not as big an issue.

Last edited:

So stringent, in fact, that I didn't even bother bringing my gixxer over. I'd have had to fit a complete different system on. That, and shipping, I didn't see the point.

Jennings pulled a pro racer off their track just before Daytona due to noise. They also have a "no race engines before 9am" rule which is strictly enforced.

Go near any of the dirt tracks and ovals in ontario and you can hear them for a few kms away. However, they generally only race one day a week so it's not as big an issue.

Yes, and most of them have noise restrictions too. 4 stroke MX bikes are extremely barky, so if someone slow rolls to pass the test it would be way off how it sounds when whacked open. I have a quiet pipe (FMF Q4) on my MX and last night changing the oil I was hesitant to start it at 8:30. My neighbour's bike has a Yosh RS4 full system and even with a dB Dawd it's retardedly loud, but he's allowed to ride it since there's a dB Dawg.

I have friends that live halfway into the town. Sitting on their deck you CAN definitely hear the bikes. It's not that quiet.

best thing is to get a stock muffler and make it fit your elbow. go pass the test, then swap it out. At bogie you only need to pass once a year.

Back
Top Bottom