Calabogie noise restriction | GTAMotorcycle.com

Calabogie noise restriction

doozerdave

Site Supporter
I'm trying to get an idea of how many people, and with what sorts of exhausts, fail at Calabogie. My bike seems pretty loud, and GSXR Girl is looking at a Hot Bodies megaphone for her bike, and those are pretty loud.

So, who has failed, and what exhaust and bike was it?

Thanks.

Well with the M4 on my kawi zx6r went over the 94dbs, too loud to pass the noise restr.
Before use to be if i'm correct 98, last year went down to 94dbs. Use the silencer if you have one def worth it.

From Calabogie's site: "Motorcycles, the average should be no more than 98 dbA with no single reading over 100 dbA."

I'm running a slip on Hindle (no cat) which measured 98dB when the packing was shot. They passed it but said I was right on the line. The next year I repacked it and it came in at 92dB. To my ears it sounded the same but I guess the packing really does absorb a lot of sound energy.

I get my Hindle repacked every two years but I've failed in the off years, and a dbDawg saved it. Put it in, pass sound check and you do what you want with that little plug after. Make sure it's secure if you are riding with them. They can do a ton of damage and hurt like hell when you get one off the leg.

From experience - I would send gsxr girl up with her bike and then your bike....

My GSX-R 1000 with full Hindle nearly missed. Make of that what you will.

I'm trying to get an idea of how many people, and with what sorts of exhausts, fail at Calabogie. My bike seems pretty loud, and GSXR Girl is looking at a Hot Bodies megaphone for her bike, and those are pretty loud.

So, who has failed, and what exhaust and bike was it?

Thanks.

After handling their bodywork I wouldn't buy anything from them again.

I have a 2006 GSXR600 with a full Arrow exhaust. With an Arrow silencer it still failed by a long shot. I think it was 103, with the silencer. It's a loud system. Thankfully the last dbDawg silencer that Pro6 had for sale, fit. It passed, but I packed it with some steel wool(all that I had on me) and was very carefully when I rev'd it for the test. What a relief. I can't imagine after a 5hr drive from the GTA to Bogie, over night stay at the track, failed test and then no track day. That would have been a brutal 5hr drive home!

If you're worried about it failing, buy the dbDawg before you go there to ensure that you can get the right size for your system.

Good luck. Great track by the way.

After handling their bodywork I wouldn't buy anything from them again.

+1

I have HB on the 1000 and it's brittle, doesn't flex much and the top gelcoat is flaking off it all over.

So speaking of repacking, what do you guys recommend and why? I'm assuming I don't need to get Arata's re-pack, and there are likely generic re-pack kits out there. I've done a bit of research but TBR seems to be coming up a lot...

The GSXR 1000's with the twin GP style megaphones have failed, I also saw a BMW 1000 with the full Akro short system fail. So I'm thinking Hot Bodies would be a "no" unless it was corked up somehow.

So speaking of repacking, what do you guys recommend and why? I'm assuming I don't need to get Arata's re-pack, and there are likely generic re-pack kits out there. I've done a bit of research but TBR seems to be coming up a lot...

You can get muffler packing material at any bike shop. The pain in the tail is doing it ... Hindle mufflers are riveted together and the hole spacing on mine was not even (presumably at the factory they just drill through both parts without particular care about the orientation) and I failed to mark the orientation prior to taking them apart ... oops. If you have a muffler that is not round, you shouldn't run into that issue because it should only go together one way.

If you have a choice in the matter ... Use the longest muffler with the biggest internal volume that you can find. If there is a choice between street-oriented or race mufflers, use the street one (e.g. Hindle Stealth); the smaller internal diameter allows more packing material volume, and if there's a difference in performance between the two, it's too small to notice. On my 400 (which has a round muffler), I flipped the muffler over so that the outlet was pointed up towards the sky instead of straight back towards the microphone. Looks funny, but it can't hurt - I never did a comparison to see if it made a difference.

And no, I have never heard much good about anything Hotbodies makes.

Repacking a long Hindle isn't a problem.
Went to a local muffler manufacturer (Motivair in Elmira) - they hooked me up with 2 stainless steel wool "socks" that go over the internal perforated tube. Put a few wraps of fine wire around the sock to ensure it stayed in place, and filled the can with HMF "string" packing.

Btw it's an 03 R6 and yes we thought it was a good idea also.

I've never repacked it, Mike down at Clarington Cycle takes care of that for me

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, folks. I just looked up the FMF stuff. I think I'll try the 19" premium multi-layer repack.

As for the noisy Hot Bodies megaphone, it sounds like we should find a different option.

My race Hindle (straight through) on R6 passes with flying colours. Never repacked.

My R6 is obnoxiously loud. Sounds like an F1 car. Maybe I should put the snorkel back on the race filter. Modified stock headers (removed CAT) with Hotbodies MGP slip-on. Or get one of those DBDawgs.

I wish I had a video. It's stupid loud. JayV was subject to fly-by's when he was endurance racing on a 250. He knows how loud it can be.

Back
Top Bottom