Bringing Her Back to Life | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bringing Her Back to Life

rzresurection

I've been at this build for a long time now. There have been many ups a downs along the way, but I'm now in the home stretch of the build. Biggest thing left to do is get a job so I have money to finish it. Lol

Seriously, last major thing is the engine and some new rubber.

I have a 38 page build on another forum. I'm not about to re type all that in. I'll post a link later.

I'll just post some pics because we Ll love pics

Here's where I am now. Stripped the tank. Going to repaint it properly. I'm also in the process of mounting my new wind screen.

jyza6eqy.jpg

eje8yqeg.jpg

ysape7ag.jpg

I'm guessing the front wheel is from the R1, what's the rear wheel from?

Sweet looking machine! Would want to meet her in person once she is ready.

I'm guessing the front wheel is from the R1, what's the rear wheel from?

Rims are from an R6. Front suspension/brakes from a 2002/3 R1.

Rear swinger is from an 84 FJ1100 with an R6 welded to it so I could use the hugger fender.

Sweet looking machine! Would want to meet her in person once she is ready.

Thanks Al3rt. She's only a little girl (87 RZ350). Not a lot under the hood compared to modern bikes, but it's a 2 stroke (extinct breed), so it's important for me to get it back on the road.

That is totally cool! I am with Al3rt on wanting to see this thing when it's finished, I love old school 2 stroke bikes, my older brother had an old RD-350 that little bike was crazy as hell!

The tail light looks to be from the older Suzuki's RG 500 or GSXR's

Last edited:
I've been waiting to see what you've been up to with this. Looks like there have been quite a few project bikes getting wrenched on over the winter.

That is totally cool! I am with Al3rt on wanting to see this thing when it's finished, I love old school 2 stroke bikes, my older brother had an old RD-350 that little bike was crazy as hell!

The tail light looks to be from the older Suzuki's RG 500 or GSXR's

Thanks Sinz. My first ride was an '81 RD350 (not mine, but looked exactly like this)

etuzy2er.jpg

Good eye man. My tail light is from an 85 RG500. It fit perfect. I've added some Whelen TIR3's for rear signals (super freakin bright). I just have to get some relays to switch power to them.

I'm hoping this one will have some decent power. Problem is she has a bit of a weight problem with the added upgrades.

It doesn't matter about the weight of those bikes they were pretty light in the first place...maybe get some carbon on there if you can & a ballistic battery that only weighs 1.5 - 2 lbs compared to the stock 9 - 11 lbs...that should lighten it up a bit!

I've been waiting to see what you've been up to with this. Looks like there have been quite a few project bikes getting wrenched on over the winter.

Honestly Brian, things slowed down for me over the winter - lack of funds and just too freaking cold to be in the garage. I brought a few things inside. I re painted the cases and started polishing the jugs. I did get a chance to case port the upper half. I cleaned up all the casting flash and cleaned the intake track as well. I bought some VForce 4 CF reeds. The stock pipes make decent power, but weigh a ton. A set of stainless chambers weighs less than half of a single stock pipe - crazy. I'd be able to get another 10-12hp from a decent set of chambers. I've done some of the other std upgrades - FZ 600/1000 fiber plates, rounded the shift star, R6 rear shock. I did put on a speedhut GPS speedo - lost my gear drive with the R1 front end swap. I built a little stainless dash.

Last part is the engine. I have to bring it to Gord Bush in Etobicoke to rebuild, weld & true my crank. I may get him to do a medium port job. I've gutted the airbox and was considering boring out my 26mm Mikuni's to 28mm. That's later. Either that or I buy 30's
ybyma6en.jpg

qesyvegu.jpg

usurene3.jpg
8y4abu8y.jpg

u6ymupam.jpg
anyde9eq.jpg

vesegyqu.jpg

It'll be a one of a kind. It won't be fast until she and I go on a diet. Lol

It doesn't matter about the weight of those bikes they were pretty light in the first place...maybe get some carbon on there if you can & a ballistic battery that only weighs 1.5 - 2 lbs compared to the stock 9 - 11 lbs...that should lighten it up a bit!

The weight was reasonably low for the power of the bike - yes, but I've added a fair bit. I will weigh it when I'm done to see what the damage is.

I've also increased the effective trail with the R1 front end (considerably less offset) and the FJ swingarm (2" longer). These mods will slow the steering. I did buy a clevis for my rear shock, but never installed it. This will let me raise the back end which will decrease the rake/trail. I will see how things ride this summer before I install it.

Keep at it buddy, she's coming along!

Got a little more done today. I've buffed down the areas that I had built up to be reinforced. It was pushing out the windscreen too far from the fairing. Looking much better now.

Found that one of the supports that holds my dash is hitting the screen. More things to correct. Argh!!!!

Corrected the bracket, just need to weld it in place now. My windscreen can now be mounted properly. I'm just trying to find a position that I will like. I think this low-profile screen may have some inherent problems.

esutuzuv.jpg

Mmmm. Not quite as unobstructed as I was expecting.

Corrected the bracket, just need to weld it in place now. My windscreen can now be mounted properly. I'm just trying to find a position that I will like. I think this low-profile screen may have some inherent problems.

esutuzuv.jpg

Mmmm. Not quite as unobstructed as I was expecting.

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks Sinz. After I get this screen deal sorted, I'll be onto painting my tank (now that the weather is getting better). I can't wait to put my new black reflective decals on my tank. Here's what it looks like on my helmets.

najutepu.jpg

7y5a7ydu.jpg

Cool ****.

Back
Top Bottom