Bringing Her Back to Life | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bringing Her Back to Life

I always thought that you put the filler on bare metal, but I've seen a lot of debate over doing the primer first, then the filler.

I've been in a few convo's with a few (regular day job) body guys and they were adamant that primer went down first. Reasoning was - if the paint got a small chip and water permeated into the filler, the filler wouldn't lift from the underlying metal surface starting to rust.

I find this all so confusing.

Well it can be confusing ,put it this way, when your sanding the body filler, the filler will sand slower then the primer , you will never get an even feather edge, and you will always see the edges of the repair, your doing fine, keep working at ot

I found that this scrubby pad was aggressive enough to sand the filler down quickly and give a decent feather edge.

2a7ydube.jpg

ypusaruv.jpg

5a9ugeza.jpg

Gotta knock down the gloss on my tank next. The black went on nice and I timed between coats (made sure I gave enough flash time).

For sure - finally. Took me long enough to get it right.

I'm on to fiberglass work now. Should take me 3-4 times to get that right. Lol.

Bring em on over, I'll help you out buddy.

Started doing my fiberglass repair - just some small holes that are no longer used. Weeeeell. That all kinda went south.

The fairing I have was VERY thin when I first got it. I ended up reinforcing it with more layers of glass. It has now started to delaminate. I've essentially pulled off most of the old layers that I had put on. I guess I didn't prep the surface very well back then.

nazejaje.jpg

I've got a large pc of mat that I will put down to replace the old crap that I pulled out.

a7y9ygeb.jpg

Now I need more resin and hardener. It never ends.

qu7uryhe.jpg

Gives a better idea of what I will be doing.

Messy **** fiberglass is. Probably should have went with the woven mat. I already had the strand stuff on hand.

ubedanu4.jpg

All trimmed.

6epase6a.jpg

Need to sand the edges and start on the surface.

Thanks Sinz. I'm still at it.

Good news. I reconnected with an old friend that I used to buy industrial motion/power equipment and machine shop services from. He started up his own machine shop quite a few years back. He's been getting into car performance parts and some bike stuff on the side too. He's a Wiesco distributor now. He said that he'd bore my jugs and supply me with pistons and rings. Obviously not for free, but no mark up. So cool.

Re-mounted my fairing today.

enaje7es.jpg

yja7ezu7.jpg

Now I'm onto sanding the tank as well.

Thanks Dan. It's not going to be a show piece by any stretch. I've always said it's a Heinz 57 or a bit of a rat bike. It will look decent when done.

Got these babies all wired in and working properly tonight.
ysu9e8yd.jpg

Was a bit of a freakin nightmare. No real neat way to do it.

I'll post a vid when I download the 4000+ Motorcyle pics from my phone. No room.

Back
Top Bottom