Mechanic for pre-purchase inspection | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mechanic for pre-purchase inspection

I was going to say that an acceptable compromise might be to only buy naked bikes without fairings.

But then I thought about it, there are things that could be removed from those too. The gas tank, the headlight, the top end, maybe the spark plugs, oil drain plug..

What could possibly be damaged and hidden by fairings that you are unable to see with the fairings still on? Stuff? Things?

Case covers, oil pan, exhaust, rad, subframe, engine cases, triple clamps, forks can all be examined with either removing the seats or just using a flashlight to look through the vents in the fairings.

This thread is stupid and it's because of buyers like these that I would rather just burn my bike and collect the insurance than actually deal with selling it to these window lickers. It's obvious that some people have no idea what to look for in the first place, so how would they know whether or not the fairings need to be removed for examination?

So you'd rather commit insurance fraud then try to sell a bike? Sounds reasonable :lmao:

Did you miss the part where he wanted to bring someone along who is a MECHANIC? You'd hope a mechanic would know how to do something as simple as take off a couple fairings.

As for what you can possibly see i take it you've never come across a hack...
How would you like to be a proud new owner of this beauty? http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/14462-fi-light-need-help.html

Thats just one example i found in 10 seconds on google...

So you'd rather commit insurance fraud then try to sell a bike? Sounds reasonable :lmao:

Did you miss the part where he wanted to bring someone along who is a MECHANIC? You'd hope a mechanic would know how to do something as simple as take off a couple fairings.

As for what you can possibly see i take it you've never come across a hack...
How would you like to be a proud new owner of this beauty? http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/14462-fi-light-need-help.html

Thats just one example i found in 10 seconds on google...

Pretty sure I wrote something about removing the seats......

Ten seconds of googling showed you something that proved my point. Thanks, I guess? I still have no idea what type of damage could be "hidden" by the fairings.

Last edited:
To play devils advocate. Ive seen car frames that were literally chopped in half, re-welded and undercoated with crazy ammounts of spray. 1 car in particular, 1/2" out from one side of the frame to another.

Isn't something like this possible on a bike and could be easily masked and hidden by the fairings.

Im not saying the dealer was unreasonable in saying no but I also see the op's concern.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

To play devils advocate. Ive seen car frames that were literally chopped in half, re-welded and undercoated with crazy ammounts of spray. 1 car in particular, 1/2" out from one side of the frame to another.

Isn't something like this possible on a bike and could be easily masked and hidden by the fairings.

Im not saying the dealer was unreasonable in saying no but I also see the op's concern.

You can see almost the entire frame on all modern SS bikes with the fairings on. More than enough to see if it has been tampered with.

Taking any bodywork off a street bike to look at it wether it's done by a "mechanic" or your neighbour Jim is not a reasonable request by any means. You might as well remove the wheels to check the bearings, remove the tires to make sure there's no plugs, and disassemble the clutch to check the plates are wiring spec. Those things can all be done very easily once the bodywork is off.

You can see almost the entire frame on all modern SS bikes with the fairings on. More than enough to see if it has been tampered with.

Taking any bodywork off a street bike to look at it wether it's done by a "mechanic" or your neighbour Jim is not a reasonable request by any means. You might as well remove the wheels to check the bearings, remove the tires to make sure there's no plugs, and disassemble the clutch to check the plates are wiring spec. Those things can all be done very easily once the bodywork is off.

Gotcha. I dont know enough about SS bikes to make the assumption that frame components can be easily inspected.

Back
Top Bottom