Electric bike repercussions | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electric bike repercussions

Are those the ones made by a Quebec company with a lot of political clout?

Let's just say that the MTO has never responded to any of my recommendations. I'm not asking for a new Schedule 611 here, just a simple line that says that when you apply your front brake lever, the brake light has to go on.

Thats not in the HTA?

Negative. As long as one of your brake pedal or lever activates the brake light, you're good to go. It only really seems to be a problem with the custom chopper crowd trying to eliminate wires from their bikes' handlebars.

Let's just say that the MTO has never responded to any of my recommendations. I'm not asking for a new Schedule 611 here, just a simple line that says that when you apply your front brake lever, the brake light has to go on.

They don't require that? Based on the language used in the safety inspection requirements I would tend to think that was necessary.

SCHEDULE 6.1 - INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS FOR MOTOR TRICYCLES WITH TWO FRONT WHEELS

LIGHTING

(4) All lamps and reflectors required under subsection (1) or (3) shall be inspected, and,

..... (f) the brake light shall operate when the appropriate control is actuated;

Maybe it's covered in the "Adoption of Federal Standards" section?

The argument is that motorcyclists are intended to use both at the same time so the light needs only be connected to one. Possibly just poor wording in that section. Same wording in the motorcycle section 6 as in the Spyder section ;)

The argument is that motorcyclists are intended to use both at the same time so the light needs only be connected to one. Possibly just poor wording in that section. Same wording in the motorcycle section 6 as in the Spyder section ;)

Definitely a bad thing to permit, given a little fact of physics called weight transfer.

Specific information, related to the Toronto Bylaws:

http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase/79/101000051179.html

Electric bicycles are classified as "motorized recreational vehicles" under Toronto Municipal Code, Chapter 608. Therefore, they are NOT permitted on bike paths or foot paths in City of Toronto Parks.
They are only permitted in parks that allow vehicular traffic, excluding service roads and areas posted prohibiting public vehicular access.

Motorized vehicles (including e-bikes) may not be used on park multi-use paths. If a motorized vehicle is used on a park path, the rider/driver may be fined $305.00 by bylaw enforcement officers. The Waterfront Multi-Use path, Don Valley & Humber Multi-use paths, are all considered parklands. The new railpath & Hydro corridor trails are considered linear parks.

Toronto Municipal Code - Chapter 608 - Parks (Toronto Municipal Code Chapter to prohibit and regulate activities in City parks)(see definition of "Motorized Recreational Vehicle" at beginning of bylaw, also 608-30)

If you wish to file a complaint about an e-bike in a City of Toronto multi-use path, please contact Municipal Licensing & Standards Waste & Parks Bylaw Enforcement.

Only $305 for operating a motorcycle in a park and it has to be issued by a bylaw officer? Sounds like decent odds to me. Does that fine affect insurance?

What about bicycles with gas engines on them? I see them everywhere. I thought they were illegal but I've seen several ride right past cops who didn't seem to care.

Only $305 for operating a motorcycle in a park and it has to be issued by a bylaw officer? Sounds like decent odds to me. Does that fine affect insurance?

What about bicycles with gas engines on them? I see them everywhere. I thought they were illegal but I've seen several ride right past cops who didn't seem to care.

Their technically mopeds. Like ebikes

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

Their technically mopeds. Like ebikes

Except mopeds are classed as limited speed motorcycles and they require insurance, plates, and a motorcycle helmet. Plus these are home built which can't be registered. Unless something has changed (again) since they changed all the rules around mopeds a few years ago.

Except mopeds are classed as limited speed motorcycles and they require insurance, plates, and a motorcycle helmet. Plus these are home built which can't be registered. Unless something has changed (again) since they changed all the rules around mopeds a few years ago.

You're sure you're not confusing mopeds and scooters?

Those motorized bicycles are illegal, period. Generally, they are a chinese motor (cloned from a 1950's russian design) with a minimal or no lighting coil, mounted to whatever bicycle you may have leaning in the back shed. As such, unless the owner does a build well, it's an over-powered, under-braking contraption.

Regardless - it is considered a homebuilt vehicle, with no safety equipment required of a properly manufactured, and certified gas-powered moped of old.

No serial no's, registration assigned to them, no way to ensure them or plate them (legit mopeds need to be insured!) and no way to really make them safe to Canadian DOT/Ontario MTO standards, which makes them highly illegal to be on the roads, or in any other environment where they might pose a liability or collision risk.

They are common in Hamilton, seen flying around and about.. I've heard of some people being stopped, them being appropriately ticketed, and their homebuilt motorized-bicycle being seized.

I've got one myself, built it up on a lark a number of years ago as a fun, quick project - it's all great fun, if you've got an appropriate place to use one.. which isn't really on roadways sharing the same space as other vehicles, unfortunately.

Yesterday I saw an 8 wheeler crane pass an eBike. What a sight to see

You're sure you're not confusing mopeds and scooters?

M with condition L (includes M1 and M2-L):*for mopeds and motorized scooters (also called “limited-speed” motorcycles).

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/get-motorcycle-licence

Mopeds were classed as limited speed motorcycles a few years back. There was a case all over the media where some guy was facing thousands in charges because he was treating it like a bicycle and he was ****** because he'd been riding it for years without problems.

Oh bugger....
Next they will outlaw home build bird feeders and bicycles that can go faster than 20kph,

M with condition L (includes M1 and M2-L):*for mopeds and motorized scooters (also called “limited-speed” motorcycles).

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/get-motorcycle-licence

Mopeds were classed as limited speed motorcycles a few years back. There was a case all over the media where some guy was facing thousands in charges because he was treating it like a bicycle and he was ****** because he'd been riding it for years without problems.

Been seeing gas powered std bicycle s downtown a lot. Theres a delivery guy riding all over the place

Back
Top Bottom