Cruiser for new rider with back problems? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cruiser for new rider with back problems?

Hey, I'm about to get my M1 and am looking for a bike. I speak to many people daily in my line of work who have just recently received their license, or have been riding for many years and I always ask this question but haven't really got any definite answers.

I am 6 feet tall and had a back injury about five years ago playing hockey. For the most part it's better but I'd do better on a bike where I can sit more upright than a CBR250 type.

Any ideas on what I can look at?

I have you looked into sport touring bikes? Upright seating position, less weight on your lower back than a cruiser seating position?

You're going to want to hit a couple of dealerships and try sitting on as many bikes as you can. A more touring style bike may be what you really want since it is upright and your feet are more directly beneath you so you can use your legs to take some of the shock from bumps. With a cruiser your feet are typically forward and this limits your ability to absorb shocks with your legs, while forcing you to take them directly to your back. Floorboards can help alleviate some of this.

Maybe something like a Triumph Bonneville?

Great advise, thanks. I am going to go to a few dealerships and ask about touring and sport touring bikes. The kicker is that I am trying to find a comfortable bike, but at the same time a beginner bike. All the new riders I speak to always have CBR250s or similar. From what I've learned in my conversations I shouldn't be worried about going with something around 600cc. which may open up some more options when it comes to touring bikes.

I have back problems too, I was not ready for a cruiser, so I opted for the 90's 250 to start and now a 09 650r. They both have a mild angle and my back seems fine for the most part. I did try out a vrod and did not like the stretched out position it left me in, and in fact it seemed to bother me more than the 250 did. I am 5-8 and the 250 was cramped in the legs on long hauls for 4-6 hours, the only reason I moved up to the 650 actually.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

you can see lean angles, this is of course not the same as actually sitting on them but it may help your initial search.

Last edited:
I agree with Jay & Lunatic - a cruiser may not be any more 'back friendly', and could compound things. Looks aside, the 650 vstrom could be a contender for you.

I am going to check out the 650 V Storm, thanks. I don't mind the look, my concern is learning to ride for now, eventually I'm sure I'll get another bike, but for now that may be perfect. Thanks!!

Also look into heli bars if you end up on something smaller like a cbr250. Depends on your back injury, but I find riding a sport bike beneficial as I am stretching my back out while riding, it's like an inversion table on wheels :)

You can get mid-pegs on some cruisers, just have to do a bit of research on what's offered. I changed out my forward controls for mids after the first month, it was killing my back and neck.

Cruisers are probably the worst for back problems. The inherent seating position on most cruisers places all your weight on your tailbone passing all shocks into the spine.

Look for a naked standard or a adventure style stand or even some sport touring

The new HONDA CBR500 series of bikes fit that bill also.

You want a neutral UJM style seating position that allows your spine to be relatively straight with your knees able to hold on to the tank for support.

My bike the TU250X is a neutral position. There are others. It all depends on your budget.

Cycle-ergo website is a great starting point to give you an idea.

BMW 650, Vstrom 650, KLR 650 and Honda CB500X, Triumph Bonneville are all neutral/neutral-ish as street specific bikes.

if you have a bad back a more upright style would be the best,I have a klr and after 1 hr my lower back is sore,I dont think there is a comfy bike that doesnt hurt after long ride.

I have a bad back. Muscles actually.

The type of injury and type of pain associated with it will determine the type of bike thats good for you.

Personally when I sit straight or lean forward my back will become tired and thus start to hurt.

IMO if your problem is muscular then no matter what bike you get there will be some initial pain involved. Spasms and such really cant be helped.

If your injury was spinal then an upright bike will allow you to support more weight on the pegs. But a bike with a lean forward shouldn't hurt to much either.

Ultimately I think the type of bike should revolve around what you like with comfort for your back a final deciding factor.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I have broken my back twice, the problem I have with cruisers is the 3-5" of rear suspension travel. If you catch a bigger bump, it goes straight through the whole spine. Seating/suspension on the adventure-styled bikes is more real world friendly, IMO. V strom, versys, klr, cb500x, not too sure about insurance costs if you're new, you might have to check around. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bad back as well, I have a Shadow Aero 750 which I could not ride for more than 30 minutes without my back killing me. Until, I upgraded the seat to a Mustang seat with driver back rest. I can now ride for an entire day without my back hurting much at all. Its fully adjustable so you can turn a little screw on the back so that it sits in just the right spot in your lower back to support you. I added a link below, they are available for nearly every cruiser on the market but they are a bit pricey.

http://www.mustangseats.com/Product...-Backrest-Harley-Davidsonreg-FLHTFLTRFLHRFLHX

**EDIT**

Found a picture with the seat on the bike, disregard the kids cleaning the bike. (Best way to clean your bike though, be the supervisor lol)

KidsCleaningBike.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to check out the 650 V Storm, thanks. I don't mind the look, my concern is learning to ride for now, eventually I'm sure I'll get another bike, but for now that may be perfect. Thanks!!

Definitely check out the wee-storm or other adventure type bike. This is my 19th (or 20th maybe) season on the street and the wee is a very good commuter for me. Upright seating and enough suspension to eat up the potholes (I swear the city roads are worse then some of the logging roads up north).

Wish it was a touch lighter, maybe with wire wheels instead of cast, but I think susuki made a great all around machine.

I am also 6' tall and have a history of back problems. Started with a Suzuki Boulevard and now ride a Road King. Both bikes are good for height and the key to saving the back for me is sitting up straight - no slouching into a back rest!

I had a drivers backrest on my shadow 1100. That's what I liked about it, crank it forward and it kept my back straight. Definitely helped, especially on long days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom