Attn Hamilton area riders - Snake Road access to Waterdown be closed all summer | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Attn Hamilton area riders - Snake Road access to Waterdown be closed all summer

I meant to post back to the thread earlier. It is closed as of the afternoon of July 10th, with concrete barriers going up in the past couple of days. Last week they were just wooden barriers easily moved. One morning last week I went by and someone had clearly moved them to get their car through during the night.

Here is the City of Burlington announcement http://cms.burlington.ca/Page14425.aspx

Note that they lowered the load restriction for the bridge from seven tonnes to two tonnes.

Early last week they put up a sign which says no motor vehicle traffic INCLUDING motorcycles. In my view this is totally unjustified given the load restriction for the bridge is still two tonnes. Unless you had 3-4 large bikes going across at once you would be nowhere near this limit.

Most smaller bikes should have no trouble going around the concrete barriers. Not suggesting you do or anything.

Went by on Saturday 9th. Open to pedestrians only. If it's passable for pedestrians there can't be much work going on. Not holding my breath.

The Snake isn't worth the drive to Waterdown on its own but it's part of my milk run to the Niagara Peninsula.

It seems that the while the bridge is closed it is still passable. Decided to check it out this afternoon and if you have a skinny bike you can get through :D

photo21_zps9c85978b.jpg

As of yesterday that is still the case.

Rode up to it on Sunday Sept 28th, it's still blocked off. One of the homeowners was recording, with his phone, riders that were going by.

I bet there 's no repair needed after all, just disgruntled locals paid off someone to place the barriers and signs there ... wouldn't surprise me living in Ontario.

went by today (oct7) bridge is still closed

but definitely enough gap to fit through

anyone know what "work" they actually planned on doing?

on the other hand....there was absolutely no traffic on Snake Road

There are similar and better winding roads nearby. I have never understood the fascination with Snake road.

The name itself is very alluring. And that decreasing radius left hander going south is positively magnetic.

The guardrail on the outside of turn 3 must be the source of the magnetism :D

Did they do any work there at all this summer? The barriers actually make it a better bike road as the cars cant get by them ;).

No work was done over the summer, I believe they started in November. It was supposed to be done by January 1st, however I just checked the City of Burlington site and they posted a note in Dec saying the bridge will re-open Jan 23rd (just in time for riding season! or not...)

http://cms.burlington.ca/Page14423.aspx

I bypassed the barrier myself a few times but got increasingly paranoid about the bridge being staked out by cops due to complaints from neighbours about bikes on the bridge. Figured it wasn't worth the potential hassle. I sure am looking forward to using it this spring, got very tired of the stream of traffic lights on Dundas St through Waterdown and dodging the gravel trucks west of Hwy 6.

Back
Top Bottom