One way to one way, left turn at red light? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

One way to one way, left turn at red light?

I've never treated it any differently than a right turn on red light from the curb lane, to me it's still just a right turn. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm not aware of anything prohibiting this.

I've never treated it any differently than a right turn on red light from the curb lane, to me it's still just a right turn. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm not aware of anything prohibiting this.

Well that's the thing; I can't find anything that goes either way on the matter. While searching for it I found a section that seems to state that it's illegal to make a right turn on red when the left advanced turn signal is lit, but other lights remain red, and yet I've also found interpretations of law that go directly against a simple interpretation of that law as written.

what's the section that speaks to the right turn while advanced left is lit? I'd like to read that too.

what's the section that speaks to the right turn while advanced left is lit? I'd like to read that too.

It's 144 (14). Maybe it pertains to only static (unchanging) signal lights, but it doesn't seem to:

Green arrow

(14) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing one or more green arrow indications only or in combination with a circular red or circular amber indication and facing the indication may proceed only to follow the direction shown by the arrow. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (14).

My concern would be how the driver facing the solid red knows that the driver approaching in front of him has a left advance arrow? Effectively the light that he would be expected to watch for would be over his head. I think this section just means that if there's an advance left arrow, ya can't go straight through too.

On second thought, you're probably thinking about traffic facing the advance arrow. I was thinking about the traffic on the opposite side of the intersection.

Last edited:
My concern would be how the driver facing the solid red knows that the driver approaching in front of him has a left advance arrow? Effectively the light that he would be expected to watch for would be over his head. I think this section just means that if there's an advance left arrow, ya can't go straight through too.

On second thought, you're probably thinking about traffic facing the advance arrow. I was thinking about the traffic on the opposite side of the intersection.

Correct; I was thinking about traffic facing the arrow.

Well that's the thing; I can't find anything that goes either way on the matter. While searching for it I found a section that seems to state that it's illegal to make a right turn on red when the left advanced turn signal is lit, but other lights remain red, and yet I've also found interpretations of law that go directly against a simple interpretation of that law as written.
http://www.wheels.ca/guides/advance-green-doesnt-prevent-a-right-turn-on-red/

Ontario Transportation Ministry spokesperson Bob Nichols:

At intersections, there are normally at least two sets of traffic signals: one on the far left that is often on a median facing the left turn lane(s), and the primary signal head on the far right side that applies to the other lanes.

When there is a red light and a left-turn green arrow displayed on the far left signal head, left-turn drivers may proceed to turn. At the same time, the right side signal head will display red only, and turning right on red is allowed after stopping and yielding.

In few instances, the right signal head will also display a left-turn arrow and, for this arrangement, turning right on red is not allowed.​

Eric Lai adds:

An example of the latter is a road that terminates at a T-intersection with a one-way road heading to the left. Green left-turn arrows, rather than circular green lights, on both traffic light heads would indicate that all lanes must proceed left only.​

http://www.wheels.ca/guides/advance-green-doesnt-prevent-a-right-turn-on-red/

Ontario Transportation Ministry spokesperson Bob Nichols:
At intersections, there are normally at least two sets of traffic signals: one on the far left that is often on a median facing the left turn lane(s), and the primary signal head on the far right side that applies to the other lanes.

When there is a red light and a left-turn green arrow displayed on the far left signal head, left-turn drivers may proceed to turn. At the same time, the right side signal head will display red only, and turning right on red is allowed after stopping and yielding.

In few instances, the right signal head will also display a left-turn arrow and, for this arrangement, turning right on red is not allowed.​

Eric Lai adds:
An example of the latter is a road that terminates at a T-intersection with a one-way road heading to the left. Green left-turn arrows, rather than circular green lights, on both traffic light heads would indicate that all lanes must proceed left only.​

I saw that. It was one of the things that I commented on, that seemed to be in direct opposition to the letter of the law. Wheels has been wrong before, so I'm looking for applicable case law.

141.(2 - 7) talk about how to physicaly make a turn. rightmost lane to rightmost lane etc.

144. (18 )says when you see a red light you have to stop and wait for a green.

144. (19) gives the exception, where you don't have to wait until the light turns green if you're turning
(a) turn to the right; or
(b) turn to the left from a one-way street into a one-way street,

144. (19) is subject to (14) though...
144. (14) says if there's a green arrow you can only go in that direction.

but...

144. (10) says
Every driver shall obey every traffic control signal that applies to the lane that he or she is in.
ie: left lane has a left green arrow and right lane has a red circle
If you're in the right lane you can turn right (if it's safe)

I seem to recall the "no turns when there's an advanced green" was a law when i got my license but it's not in the HTA now, so maybe it was repealed. Or maybe the drivers handbook had it in it back then.

Back
Top Bottom