One way to one way, left turn at red light? | GTAMotorcycle.com

One way to one way, left turn at red light?

Fenrir Fox

Untitled.jpg
as title, can I make a left turn at red light when no coming traffic from other one way and no pedestrian crossing?
I saw this case a lot in Hamilton but never in Toronto
different law?

I believe the general rule is, as long as you're not crossing a lane of traffic, then you can make the right/left turn on a red light.

I don't know how well its enforced here but in BC assuming there is no oncoming traffic and pedestrians, you can:
-Make a left turn if you are on a one-way street turning onto a one way street that has more than one lane.
-Make a left from a two-way street onto a one-way street on a red light if there is more than one lane.

It's weird that the MTO site doesn't mention that it must be a multi-lane you're turning onto but maybe it's different in this province.

I don't know how well its enforced here but in BC assuming there is no oncoming traffic and pedestrians, you can:
-Make a left turn if you are on a one-way street turning onto a one way street that has more than one lane.
-Make a left from a two-way street onto a one-way street on a red light if there is more than one lane.

It's weird that the MTO site doesn't mention that it must be a multi-lane you're turning onto but maybe it's different in this province.

That's because it doesn't have to be a multi-lane street in Ontario.

Last edited:
University north to Richmond west?

Most of the pedestrians there don't know though, so they'll jaywalk in front of you.

Streetview of N/B University Ave & Richmond St W: http://goo.gl/xmEIFH

Isn't University Ave Two Way at that intersection?
Sorry, was on my cell so I couldn't do the walker guy.
It's York and Richmond; one block East.
University has a Median there, so you wouldn't be able to go all the way through.

Sorry, was on my cell so I couldn't do the walker guy.
It's York and Richmond; one block East.
University has a Median there, so you wouldn't be able to go all the way through.

Sb Simco @ Eb Adelaide, last month they've added a NB bike lane. Would that render the red light left turn illegal?

I would think that the bicycles would be considered "pedestrian traffic". Yield right of way and make your turn, unless otherwise prohibited by a posted sign.

I would think that the bicycles would be considered "pedestrian traffic". Yield right of way and make your turn, unless otherwise prohibited by a posted sign.

Under the Highway Traffic Act bicycles are considered 'vehicles', but not 'motor vehicles', and so must adhere to the laws pertaining to such traffic.

If cyclists would be cited for their various misdeeds such as travelling against the flow of one way streets, riding in crosswalks (specifically prohibited under the HTA), riding on sidewalks (against the bylaws of most municipalities in this region), and passing to the right of vehicles indicating a right turn (both unlawful AND begging to become a statistic), then far fewer cyclists would be injured or killed.

If there are two right turn lanes can you make a right on red in the left most one? I've done it a bunch of times but it always feels illegal. I believe the offramp from 401W to Westney Road in Ajax is like that.

If there are two right turn lanes can you make a right on red in the left most one? I've done it a bunch of times but it always feels illegal. I believe the offramp from 401W to Westney Road in Ajax is like that.

Having read the HTA section I would say "technically" no as you are crossing a "live traffic lane", (the inner right lane). But I also doubt you would meet very many coppers who would stop and ticket for it, (IF they even knew the wording of the section)

Turns must be made from the near lane to the near lane, in order to be legal. If both lanes are signed as turn lanes you must then make the turn to the corresponding lane on the new street.

Turns must be made from the near lane to the near lane, in order to be legal. If both lanes are signed as turn lanes you must then make the turn to the corresponding lane on the new street.
So left-most right turn lane to left-most right turn lane is not legal then?

Multiple turn lane to multiple lanes see below:

Turning at intersections
141. (1) In this section,
"centre line" means,
(a) in the case of a highway on which traffic is permitted to move in opposing directions, the marked line or median that divides traffic moving in opposing directions on the highway or, where there is no marked line or median, the centre of the roadway, and
(b) in the case of a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic, the left curb or edge of the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (1).
Right turn at intersection
(2) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the right into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the right-hand lane or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway and he or she shall make the right turn by entering the right-hand lane of the intersecting highway where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway being entered. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (2).
Right turn, where multiple lanes
(3) Despite subsection (2), where more than one lane of a highway has been designated as a right-turn lane, the driver or operator of a vehicle intending to turn to the right into an intersecting highway shall approach the intersection in one of the lanes and leave the intersection in the lane of the intersecting highway that corresponds to the lane from which the turn was commenced. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (3).

Multiple turn lane to multiple lanes see below:

Turning at intersections
141. (1) In this section,
"centre line" means,
(a) in the case of a highway on which traffic is permitted to move in opposing directions, the marked line or median that divides traffic moving in opposing directions on the highway or, where there is no marked line or median, the centre of the roadway, and
(b) in the case of a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic, the left curb or edge of the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (1).
Right turn at intersection
(2) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the right into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the right-hand lane or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway and he or she shall make the right turn by entering the right-hand lane of the intersecting highway where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway being entered. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (2).
Right turn, where multiple lanes
(3) Despite subsection (2), where more than one lane of a highway has been designated as a right-turn lane, the driver or operator of a vehicle intending to turn to the right into an intersecting highway shall approach the intersection in one of the lanes and leave the intersection in the lane of the intersecting highway that corresponds to the lane from which the turn was commenced. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (3).

Unfortunately that section doesn't address right on red. That's why I didn't post it, though I did reference the concept in a post, above.

Back
Top Bottom