What mistakes am I going to make? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What mistakes am I going to make?

Kickstand up before you go

Stalling your bike at lights

Forgetting to turn your signal off after the turn or lane switch.

Ferrying a passenger before your skill level is appropriate enough

Joining group rides while you are still noob.

Don't sweat it too much. I like how you come on here to pinpoint mistakes you could potentially run into but sometimes you need to make mistakes to learn. Nothing saddle time can fix. Enjoy your ride and be defensive and you'll come out in one piece.

And as everyone says here, read and watch twist of the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaving your signal on is a big one for a lot of riders, it's also very dangerous and I see it all the time. Another, when you're at a stop light make sure to cover your rear brake to show that you are stopped to the driver behind you. Lane position, a key to surviving on a bike (in my experience, fingers crossed) is to be seen especially when going through intersections.

Some good points here. Now focus on how much fun you are going to have as well. Be positive. Good Luck.

Lot of good ones here. I'll add:

If you have a heavy bike that you can't flat-foot, back into parking spots. You learn this lesson quickly the first time you have to pull your bike backwards while it's parked on a downhill slope.

Watch where you put your foot down. If there's oil, sand or wet tile or anything slippery, you and your bike are going down quicker than snot running down a greased pole.

Learn to use your back brake when it's appropriate.

It's always a good idea to back your bike into a spot, especially if when pulling out it will be uphill. I'm almost 6'3 and 225 and fairly fit so I'm not a small guy by any stretch, and duck walking my r6 up a slope backwards can be slow and tough!

Or do what I do when possible and squeeze between the cars and pull into the spot ;)

going to fast
going to fast
going to fast
serious speed and being new to riding will get you into big trouble,get used to your ride and practice some riding skills will go a long way.

Absolutely not kidding, I hope you are

Not kidding. I use the rear (not the front) as required in less than ideal traction conditions. Not an issue. Would rather that then to go off into an obstacle. Ya, the bike will likely get lively but better than the alternative.

I have a bit of dirt experience but also believe everyone should ride a bit of dirt so as to get used to the feeling and be able to control it.

. Trying to keep up with more experienced riders
. Buying a bigger bike than what you should
. Drop your bike while walking it (not sure how people do this)
. Forget you are in first on a red light and let go of the clutch (done it a few times)

Sent from Tapatalk.

Not kidding. I use the rear (not the front) as required in less than ideal traction conditions. Not an issue. Would rather that then to go off into an obstacle. Ya, the bike will likely get lively but better than the alternative.

I have a bit of dirt experience but also believe everyone should ride a bit of dirt so as to get used to the feeling and be able to control it.
So you are saying that when on a straight road that turns into gravel, you are better off applying the rear brake than to let off the throttle and allow the bike to slow down on itself while smoothly downshifting?

ok, you do you and I will do me lol

So you are saying that when on a straight road that turns into gravel, you are better off applying the rear brake than to let off the throttle and allow the bike to slow down on itself while smoothly downshifting?

ok, you do you and I will do me lol

So presented with an obstacle while riding down a straight gravel road, you'll downshift and hope the bike stops in time? Have fun with that.

going to fast
going to fast
going to fast
serious speed and being new to riding will get you into big trouble,get used to your ride and practice some riding skills will go a long way.

You got it wrong THREE times...3.

stay away from cager blindspots. either speed up or stay back

One mistake is to assume that car drivers actually see you on your bike.

It is better to assume that you are invisible, or that they do see you and are out to get you. Drive defensively.

Stay away from traffic congestion by riding a bit faster than the flow.

Back
Top Bottom