Questions for a new person | GTAMotorcycle.com

Questions for a new person

Jay_20

Hey i'm 16 right now and my birthday was on July 20, so its been a year i actually could have had my G2 by now but i just didn't get it yet, and i just don't want a car i want a bike, and what im really looking for is a street legal dirtbike and i've already found a lot on kijiji, but i just have some questions.

1) Can i drive alone with a M1? because G1 you need an adult or person with a G2 and you can't drive alone, so im wondering with my M1 will i be allowed to drive just by myself.

2) My dad is down to buy me a bike but he said insurance would be a huge problem, will i be able to get insurance? i just want to be able to drive and i know i have to have insurance or its illegal to be on the road. someone said i wont even GET insurance is that true?

3) would i need to get my G1,G2 all that before i should get my M1 or is it ok just to get my M1 and stick with that

Also another thing i was looking at fairley new models i think iwas thinking Honda XR650l or 2002 honda Xr
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...2-Honda-XR-650L-FUEL-SAVER-W0QQAdIdZ573630890

^ thats the link to the XR , are these two new? for a completely new person do you think i should get a really old bike? im just going to use it to ride to and back from school mostly.

Last edited:
Hey i'm 16 right now and my birthday was on July 20, so its been a year i actually could have had my G2 by now but i just didn't get it yet, and i just don't want a car i want a bike, and what im really looking for is a street legal dirtbike and i've already found a lot on kijiji, but i just have some questions.

1) Can i drive alone with a M1? because G1 you need an adult or person with a G2 and you can't drive alone, so im wondering with my M1 will i be allowed to drive just by myself.

2) My dad is down to buy me a bike but he said insurance would be a huge problem, will i be able to get insurance? i just want to be able to drive and i know i have to have insurance or its illegal to be on the road.

3) would i need to get my G1,G2 all that before i should get my M1 or is it ok just to get my M1 and stick with that

yes you can drive with a m1 but it expires 90 days and also your limited to how many cc

prepare to pay a lot of insurance cost.

no you don't need your g class license

That kijiji link i posted is that an acceptable amount of cc?

There is no restriction on the CCs....

Insurance will definitely be a big barrier. My first season, it was more expensive than my bike.

Not sure where some get their info but you could get an m1 and jump on a busa if you so desired. A 650 is rather large and insurance won't be as friendly as say a wr250. I'd pick a smaller cc for your first ride and call around for insurance. Ontario and insurance equals the biggest legal scam in history. .it might be rather high for your first couple of years. Good luck In your search

thanks for the reply roomie but i realllly want a dirt bike i google'd busa thats like a racing kinda look i really just want a street legal dirtbike, and my dads only reason for not letting me get my M1 is insurance but really how high can it be? and smaller cc, would i be able to find street legal dirtbikes with the smaller cc or w/e? like maybe if i got a bike before 2000 or something like a old one would it be more better for cc?

No no I didn't mean go for a busa. I used it as an example to show you're not limited in cc.

I have a friend with a wr250 and he rides it everywhere. Here to the states all the time. It's a fun bike. Google it and you'll see. There's also a drz 400 which may interest you. I wouldn't recommend anything bigger at your age due to insurance for now

roomie honestly thank you so much man, you really helped alot, and btw the wr250 looks insane! im actually wanting to buy this now i didn't even know about this looks sweet, Im just so into dirtbikes i rode one when i was like 10 before and havn't since then but i fell in love with it, also the Drz looks awesome but it looks kinda small , but if the Wr250 is ok for me to drive id be really down for that. I just dont know how to get my dad about this insurance thing, I have no idea how much it would cost at all but if price isn't the issue, Roomie do you think i'd be able to get insurance in the first place? someone on these forums said without a G , being like over 25, having like 5 years of driving experience on you insurance companies wont even look at you, is that true?

They can't deny you insurance. They can make it outrageous though so you won't go for it. There's an insurance section on here. Read up on some of the posts and try calling around to get quotes.

places will look at you, granted some will not. just be prepared to see a large number on that quote. you very well could be paying more for insurance the first year than the bike will cost.

damn that insane , more than the bike will even cost, why is the insurance so high for us! :(, ill give it a shot and try calling around to get quotes, would i be able to get quotes without actually like paying for the insurance or whatever, or giving a credit card, ive never dealt with insurance or anything before, and im gonna go get my M1 test this week ish i dont know how hard its gonne be :(

Speaking from experience, as this is my first year where my bike has actually had a insurance rate that was affordable...

Your first year.. not really worth it.. I got quoted 4000 upwards, on a 125, with M2, Riders Safety course, at 16. Sure I could pay that.. but whats the point.

Waited until now, when I'm 18, insurance still isn't great, 4000 still through intact.. 2000 with TD, lucked out some how with Desjardin and got a 790/year quote, but I also had a 50cc scooter with them for 2 years. My bikes a 1982 Honda Twinstar 200CC (CM200T)

M1 test isn't exactly that "hard" does require a little reading. When I did mine there was an App on the Apple App store, which had the exact test I wrote, with the answers, it got me through the written test, along with the book, it helped as well.

that's really expensive.. holy ****, 4000 upwards, but im not gonna get my g1 i really just want to get the m1 cause you can drive like basically right away, thanks for the reply gop and do you know what that app is called?

My only input on this is to go get your G license anyway. Good to have as early as possible.

work on getting your G license, and posisbly wait a few years before getting a bike if insurance is too much. honestly, insurance for new drivers is insane no matter what you're driving or riding.

With an M1 you have to have an adult ride ***** 24/7. JK

Heres the thing you get your G2 and Full G as well and your insurance rates will drop, you can't ride a bike in bad weather / winter, especially at your level.
The insurance will be through the roof. I don't think you want to pay 6-10k for insurance when the bike alone will cost you 5k.
You are also at curfew so you can only ride 1 hour after sunrise and 1 hour before sunset so anywhere from 6-8 am to 5-7pm depending on season.

that's really expensive.. holy ****, 4000 upwards, but im not gonna get my g1 i really just want to get the m1 cause you can drive like basically right away, thanks for the reply gop and do you know what that app is called?

4k would be closer to G2M1, youre looking at like 6k ontop of motorcycle price. If you get your G2 you can buy a piece of **** car for $300 that doesn't run get statefarm and bike insurance with a huge deduction on the motorcycle and it will be cheaper because you have M2. By the time you hit 25 if you have a clean record you will be paying very little for insurance and thinking back that you would've been an idiot not to have gone this route sooner.

****.. this is really disappointing, its so hard just to take the m1 route im forced to go the car route to get to this i think that ******** but hey what can i do, i really just wanted a dirtbike but i thought mightaswell get a street legal one because you can ride that off road as well,

if i just wait for my m1 go the whole G1,G2 route , lets say i just buy a regular dirtbike to ride off road not street legal would i need a m1 for that? just a off road thing that im gonna ride on private land

Nope, then you are good to go! Private land is not public roads. Don't need a license or insurance, just permission to be there.

Back
Top Bottom