Oil types newbie question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil types newbie question

aminvstar650

Hi.

I'm a new rider going into my second season with a 2004 vstar 650. I want to start doing maintenance myself starting with an oil change. Any suggestions on the type of oil I should grab? Does it need to be motorcycle specific?

Tons of information out there on what oil to use, a favourite oil of many is Rotella T6. Just due to its cost and quality, I ran T6 in my ninja 250 had no problem, I ran it again in my ninja 650 and also had no problems. At the end of last year I did switch to Amsoil Motorcycle specific oil and liked the shifts better so I kept with it and will continue. That said in a pinch I would toss in T6 without any concern. You want an oil that will work well with your wet clutch, motorcycle specific oils or compatible.

Do not put in your 5w30 or whatever you have for your car, your clutch will not appreciate it

Last edited:
Automobile motor oil has friction-reducing additives that can make your clutch slip so make sure there isn't an "energy conserving" label on the bottle. Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 seems to be an oil of choice for that bike according to this website:

http://www.650ccnd.com/

Thanks for the answers. Picked up rotella. Fingers crossed I don't muck it up ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom