Replacing o-rings, how often? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Replacing o-rings, how often?

Sunspark

Site Supporter
Hi, I know to be perfect about it as recommended in the shop manual, the o-ring should be replaced every time something is opened. But in practice how often do you actually do so? Seems like the o-rings can actually be quite expensive if you start adding them up. This is on a Suzuki. They used o-rings everywhere.

TU250X. No gaskets on this one. Just regular maintenance tasks. Oil changes, valve checks, etc. even the oil filler plug is an o-ring. O-ring behind the camshaft timing cover, valve inspection ports, etc. oil filter takes 2 o-rings. One for the cover one for the filter.

Not saying it's true in every case, but many times when the O ring is removed it is too swollen from heat cycles and oil exposure to fit back in properly. Maybe have spares ready and try to reuse the old ones first.

Usually if the o-ring will fit back in where it came from you can reuse it. Oil filler plug - unless it leaks leave it. The oil filter should come with a new one but the cover I would have a spare just incase and replace it once a year.

Based on my experience with various plate covers, water pumps, oil coolers, etc., I only have to replace if it brakes.

If the o-ring is in good condition it can be reused.

If you find a o-ring has swollen, toss it in your freezer for a bit,
the cold will shrink it back to size.

Back
Top Bottom