Boston | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boston

palmpalm

Site Supporter
I've never been to Boston and thought it would be a good short-trip destination. I figure a day riding there, 4-5days in town, and a day or two riding back. Any advice/suggestions on routes from Toronto, places to stay, places to avoid, things to do? Will be going at the end of May.

Unless you are doing super-slab, you'll need more than a day to get there. "Best Breakfast" is a great little restaurant in the area.

Yeah I'd say more than a day to get there as well. I'm heading to Missouri as soon as the roads let me. It's 1200 km. Too much for one day. Anything over 7 or 800 I wouldn't find enjoyable personally. Boston is great though. Avoid their rush hour is all I can say

I've been looking at non-super-slab routes on google maps and non of them seem more than 14 hours of riding.

And that would be one day of riding ... you must be young :).

My personal bests have been Sturgis in 2.5 days (2400 kms) and Laconia in 1 (1000 kms). Yes it's possible, but then you're beat and haven't really had time to do much else along the way.

Lol, last year I went from the Cabot trail to Kingston non-stop on a KLR. Don't do it!!! I took a few days to go down there, much more enjoyable

What kind of bike were those distances on?

Sturgis on an FZ6, Laconia on a VFR.

There's no way I could do those distances/time on a cruiser; that'd be just too cruel. I've found that I top out around 650kms/day on them.

Of course the big difference is a clear wind and a full face helmet vs buffeting and a halfie. 140 on a sportbike for extended periods of time is no biggie whereas the cruisers are comfy at 115, and you have to stop almost twice as often.

Last edited:
I'm considering a one day ride to Missouri on a ss. I'd rather not but my time is restricted this trip so the faster I get there the better. I'm no spring chicken anymore so I'm scared for my back lol

While you're there, you should try their world famous Cream Pies and Steamers!

And that would be one day of riding ... you must be young :).

My personal bests have been Sturgis in 2.5 days (2400 kms) and Laconia in 1 (1000 kms). Yes it's possible, but then you're beat and haven't really had time to do much else along the way.

Its supposed to be about the Journey not the destination :p

Its supposed to be about the Journey not the destination :p

Totally agree. Was basically informing that Boston in one day is possible, but then you're beat once you get there. I'd loop it though the Finger Lakes & Bennington going and Placid coming back (or something similar). Take a couple days both ways. Will still be quite a hike, but at least lots of viewage en-route.

So I decided I'm going to cross into the USA by Kingston and hit the mountains through upstate NY into Vermont and New Hampshire and then go down to Boston. Gonna do this over two days. I want a destination for day one, preferably no more than 5 hours of nice twisty scenic riding eastward from the Kingston border A nice place to stay for the evening. Any suggestions?

My Dad did Boston in one day back in '97. He was on an Electra Glide at the time. He said it was boring and exhausting and he didn't see much doing that kind of mileage in that kind of time. He also said that the next day was basically a write-off because he was so tired from the trip down. Food for thought.

There is a Wolf Island Ferry that cuts some distance and makes for a nicer ride that slabbing the 401 the whole way to 1000 Islands.

BUT you have to watch the time as it closes early....ask me how I know that :rolleyes:

You should try and tide up Whiteface in Lake Placid - some nice roads around there.
Can't help you further east as have not done the US route past Lake Placid.-

So I want a destination for day one, preferably no more than 5 hours of nice twisty scenic riding eastward from the Kingston border A nice place to stay for the evening. Any suggestions?

Lake George N.Y. is about 3+ hrs from the border. It's a larger version of Wasaga Beach in the mountains. LOTS of good roads around there. Lots of accommodations. When you cross the border, either mainland or Wolfe Island/Cape Vincent (2 ferries, Kingston to Wolfe is free, Wolfe to Cape Vincent has a fee I think I paid 8 bucks? for a bike) just stay on secondary roads (google map) to Lake George. Same to Boston, google map and choose secondary roads. Keep an eye out for the Staties, had many speeding tickets in NY. Always paid to avoid future problems as I run to Boston frequently. I have to say I usually do it in a day 9-10hrs on the slab, but time is usually an issue. With time to spare enjoying the secondary roads is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom