Snorkel Removal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snorkel Removal

Boots

Anyone have any first hand experience from removing the snorkel from their kawi bikes? Any specific difference in the sound of the bike at certain RPM ranges? Also do you have any notable pro's and con's from removing the snorkle?

I had a Honda 230 trail bike. For better performance, info on the Internet suggested to remove snorkel, rejet carb, and remove muffler baffle. It did feel like the bike breathed better.

8c0e08a872475dcc9315725c650e67b3.jpg

Last edited:
OK - Fuel-injected. Just take the snorkel out and see if you like the difference. It won't change the way the engine runs by enough to do any damage.

OK - Fuel-injected. Just take the snorkel out and see if you like the difference. It won't change the way the engine runs by enough to do any damage.
Out of curiosity, do you believe the rumor that running a bike in cold weather without the snorkel does damage? I remember reading that somewhere, it was recommended to put the snorkel back in once the cold weather rolls around, but I'm curious if there's any weight to this argument.

Snorkels are engineered for low end torque

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Out of curiosity, do you believe the rumor that running a bike in cold weather without the snorkel does damage? I remember reading that somewhere, it was recommended to put the snorkel back in once the cold weather rolls around, but I'm curious if there's any weight to this argument.

I would think its more of a carb'd bike issue but I guess lack of friction preventing oil from burning up and increasing the operating temperature to the point where engine knocks and pistons and valve train get damaged*. Probably not as relevant to motorcycles but applicable to agree if its harsh winter riding while already running leaner fuel than recommended.

Last edited:
Changing the snorkel (or velocity stack) configuration will muck with the vacuum signal that a carb sees and therefore will bugger up the fuel delivery. EFI doesn't care.

Remove the snorkel on your 400 Ninja, see what happens. It's easy to do.
Isn't the snorkel an add on after the engines' been engineered? For noise and emission compliance? With snorkel in place the engine can't achieve the volumetric efficiency it's designed for. On a carbed bike, remove snorkel, jet to suit. Almost free horsepower. Sometimes it's a little tricky with CV type carb. Pumper flat slides are the bomb for this. I don't know much about fuel injection but reading above it seems it can accommodate the extra air.

Last edited:
Changing the snorkel (or velocity stack) configuration will muck with the vacuum signal that a carb sees and therefore will bugger up the fuel delivery. EFI doesn't care.

this...

You either have to rejet or add some shims under the needles which is what I did on my 250.

It gave it a deeper exhaust note and it does feel better in the mid-range. Putting it back is a pain in the *** and you have to remember to clean your air filter more often.

The only reason I did it was because after adding the shims and increasing the fuel flow for easier cold starts, you have to balance the fuel to air ratio, pulling the snorkel was a simple quick ghetto fix...

There is merit to the statement if you are dealing with a two stroke and don't consider re-jetting.

Remove the snorkel, you get more air flow = leaner
Colder temps equals denser air (i.e. more air for same fuel) = leaner

If your bike is jetted perfectly before making these changes, then yes, it could be a recipe for disaster.

As mentioned; your injected bike should adjust but you may find that a re-map will improve the bike afterwards (not sure what avenues are available for re-mapping your bike).

I went from this OEM airbox;

to this Motohooligan airbox;
P1010029-500x500.jpg

A MASSIVE difference in response and sound, but then I also added an exhaust and re-mapped it... and removed the 2nd butterflies, stepper motors, 2nd air system... yada yada yada.

As mentioned; your injected bike should adjust but you may find that a re-map will improve the bike afterwards (not sure what avenues are available for re-mapping your bike).

I went from this OEM airbox;

to this Motohooligan airbox;
P1010029-500x500.jpg

A MASSIVE difference in response and sound, but then I also added an exhaust and re-mapped it... and removed the 2nd butterflies, stepper motors, 2nd air system... yada yada yada.

That probably woke that big 990 right up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom