List of insurance quotes (sv650) for your reference !!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

List of insurance quotes (sv650) for your reference !!!

Pan

Age 22
M1 March 2011 (3 years)
M2 May 2011 (2 years this May)
G 5 Years
No accidents / tickets / cancellations / groups / bundle with cars / etc
Insured for 2 years prior under TD
(L7M postal code)

2009 sv650SA (The abs version) Not that abs matters I don't think
All quotes were from actual phone calls
All quotes were for basic coverage only
All quotes were for 12 month unless specified

3400 - Riders Plus
2838 - John Duffy (same as Jevo?)
3600 - Desjardins (Same as Personal?)
2183 - TD (This is for 11 month policy, the full year was 2298 )
2218 - Aviva (Called through Surnet Insurance)
2xxx - Intact (Called through Surnet Insurance, forgot actualy value but it was more than Aviva)

Hope this helps out some people.
Cheers

Last edited:
This is great information. Thanks for starting this thread Pan, I'm sure it'll help any potential future sv650 owners.
I've also kept a record of all the insurance quotes for my SV650s for the 2014 season, shared below.

Years Licensed on Motorcycle: 5 (M License)
Claims/Convictions/Groups: None
Postal Code: L5B
Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650s (abs) - 645cc

Quotes: [INSURANCE COMPANY (BROKER)]

CompanyLiability + Comprehensive+ Collision
Desjardins22374481
Intact (Brian Duffy)26092864
Intact (Cornerstone)2036-?-
Meloche Monnex (TD) [10 months]16421938
State-farm (Seamus)4966-?-
The Personal Insurance Co.2148-?-

Even with a clean record, 5 years GM licensed, and a sport-touring motorcycle, it'll still cost me around $2000 for the year - about the same as a <=600cc Supersport (+ car for multi-vehicle discount) with State-farm, just to put it in perspective.

My plan is to purchase insurance from Meloche Monnex for $1642 for 10 months (MM offers coverage ending February) then hope rates decrease in 2015 (which would be the first time...ever).

Last edited:
This is great information. Thanks for starting this thread Pan, I'm sure it'll help any potential future sv650 owners.
I've also kept a record of all the insurance quotes for my SV650s for the 2014 season, shared below.

Desjardins22374481

Even with a clean record, 5 years GM licensed, and a sport-touring motorcycle, it'll still cost me around $2000 for the year - about the same as a <=600cc Supersport (+ car for multi-vehicle discount) with State-farm, just to put it in perspective.

My plan is to purchase insurance from Meloche Monnex for $1642 for 10 months (MM offers coverage ending February) then hope rates decrease in 2015 (which would be the first time...ever).

What's up with that intact difference? Looks pretty sketchy; there's no way that's broker commission differences.

Did State Farm say you would get a multi vehicle discount with just a bike AND the car? They told me, as did Desjardin, that I didn't "qualify" for their multi vehicle discount as I had only one car and the bike is classified as a "recreational vehicle" and as such doesn't count towards multi vehicle discounts. I even lost that discount when I took my pickup off the Desjardin policy as it died a slow painful death, (Tranny blew)...lol

Desjardins22374481

Did State Farm say you would get a multi vehicle discount with just a bike AND the car? They told me, as did Desjardin, that I didn't "qualify" for their multi vehicle discount as I had only one car and the bike is classified as a "recreational vehicle" and as such doesn't count towards multi vehicle discounts. I even lost that discount when I took my pickup off the Desjardin policy as it died a slow painful death, (Tranny blew)...lol

State farm is giving me a massive discount with car and bike.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Company
Liability + Comprehensive
+ Collision
Desjardins
Intact (Brian Duffy)
Intact (Cornerstone)
-?-
Meloche Monnex (TD) [10 months]
State-farm (Seamus)
-?-
The Personal Insurance Co.
-?-

I would call another SF, that price seems waaaaay to high.

Again I would call another SF, as you get a 40% discount on your motorcycle premium when you bring your auto policy to them. That is a SF rule, not a certain office rule.

this is starting May 1st I assume?

What's up with that intact difference? Looks pretty sketchy; there's no way that's broker commission differences.

Not sure what part is sketchy, but I've always received different quotes from different brokers even when they're insuring with the same company.

I actually called Riders Plus for a quote as well, and since I'm under 25 they quoted me using Intact; Again it was different from the other Intact quotes (unfortunately I didn't bother to write it down as it was already higher than Cornerstone's quote)

EDIT: Oh, I remember why that is now. I have been with Cornerstone and Jevco/Intact for the past 4 years, so the $2036 rate was sent to me as a renewal. When I called Brian Duffy, they quoted me as a new client with Intact, which could be the reason for the significant increase. What I said earlier still stands though; if you will be getting insurance from Intact, be sure to contact as many brokers as you can (Cornerstone/Duffy/Riders Plus) as each will give you different rates.

Desjardin and State-farm have different policies regarding multiple vehicles. Desjardin only offers a multi-vehicle discount to multiple cars, not car+motorcycle. Unlike Statefarm car+motorcycle does qualify you for a (much) lower rate.

I would call another SF, that price seems waaaaay to high.

I would, but I know it still won't make much of a difference as the sv650 fits into the higher 601-750cc bracket, especially as I won't be using a multi-vehicle discount.

this is starting May 1st I assume?

My insurance will start mid-April. I have to confirm with TD as to whether it will end Feb 1st or Feb 28th, 2015 when I make my purchase sometime this week.

Last edited:
My insurance will start mid-April. I have to confirm with TD as to whether it will end Feb 1st or Feb 28th, 2015 when I make my purchase sometime this week.

It always ends the last day of Feb (so 28th) for TD
I decided to go with TD as well starting April 1st. dunno if starting mid April will make much of a difference

Last edited:
It always ends the last day of Feb (so 28th) for TD
I decided to go with TD as well starting April 1st. dunno if starting mid April will make much of a difference

Ah yes, the reason I'm doing that is because my current insurance ends mid-April :)

Yes my bike is going to TDMM beginning 31 March, my policy renewed with Desjardin in late Feb but it makes no difference as no cancellation fee as I still have a vehicle with them. It expires as does everyone with TD on 28 Feb 2015. Must make for a crap load of work seeing everyone renews at the same time as opposed to spread out over the year..

Here are my quotes if any one is interested:

29y Male - No convictions, 1 at fault auto in may/2009

StateFarrm

SV650 - $157 month
Kawasaki Z750 - $157 month
Honda CB600 - $130 month
Honda CB900 - $180 month
CBR 600F4 - $127 month
Yamaha Yzfr 600 - $127 month

Intact:
SV650 - $135 month

All quotes are for liability only at $1M

So interestingly State Farm goes only by CC, so a Sport Touring like an SV650 which only has like 80 HP would be more expensive than your CBR 600RR or for that matter any Sport 600 CC bike even if it has over 100HP. Intact would not even quote the sport bikes.

Hey this reminds me actually: I've been thinking about putting together a sort of aggregator webapp that collects quote information, and ultimately with enough data could reliably quote people by reverse-engineering the quoting system of different companies. Ultimately the idea would be to have literally every insurance company quotable on there, and gone would be the days of calling around for days.

What do you guys think, would you take the time to put in your quote data?

Hey this reminds me actually: I've been thinking about putting together a sort of aggregator webapp that collects quote information, and ultimately with enough data could reliably quote people by reverse-engineering the quoting system of different companies. Ultimately the idea would be to have literally every insurance company quotable on there, and gone would be the days of calling around for days.

What do you guys think, would you take the time to put in your quote data?

If you build it, they will come. I'd suggest you create a new thread regarding that topic, as to keep this one about sv650 quotes.

Regarding SF discounts for multiple vehicles, as in car + bike. It is true they offer them and that they are substantial. However, car insurance with SF is generally very high so do yourself a favour and get quotes for your car with other companies. I am paying half what SF wanted for my car by insuring it with a company that doesn't insure bikes so I don't really care about their discount.

Regarding SF discounts for multiple vehicles, as in car + bike. It is true they offer them and that they are substantial. However, car insurance with SF is generally very high so do yourself a favour and get quotes for your car with other companies. I am paying half what SF wanted for my car by insuring it with a company that doesn't insure bikes so I don't really care about their discount.

Not only car insurance but their house insurance rates are excessive as well by about 40%.
I pulled 2 cars and the house after I shopped around.
I left one car and a bike temporarily tilll I find a replacement sport bike insurance co with decent rates.....if that is even possible any more.
And leaving one car with the sport bike at SF reduces the sport bike policy from $1800. to $1450. The problem is leaving only one car w/ SF increases that car policy by 50%.....so its a fine balancing act here. Once SF completes the sale to desjardin and they abandon all super sport insurance I will end all my bus with SF.....for good.

Last edited:
Age 22
M1 March 2011 (3 years)
M2 May 2011 (2 years this May)
G 5 Years
No accidents / tickets / cancellations / groups / bundle with cars / etc
Insured for 2 years prior under TD
(L7M postal code)

2009 sv650SA (The abs version) Not that abs matters I don't think
All quotes were for basic coverage only

3400 - Riders Plus
2838 - John Duffy (same as Jevo?)
3600 - Desjardins (Same as Personal?)
2183 - TD (This is for 11 month policy, the full year was 2298 )
2218 - Aviva (Called through Surnet Insurance)
2xxx - Intact (Called through Surnet Insurance, forgot actualy value but it was more than Aviva)

Hope this helps out some people.
Cheers

And by the way Desjardin is not associated or owned by the Personal.
For some reason certain individuals keep spreading that rumor on this site.
Not sure why.

Quick question. Getting insurance for my SV650. I turn 25 in July.

Rates right now (comprehensive) with MM is $2900, $1600 after my birthday. Was $2200 last year but went up $700 for no reason.

Another company quoted at $2100 (comprehensive), but will be less when I turn 25. Was told if I start today, it will not go down until my renewal.

If I get insurance now, and cancel on my birthday, just to renew again right after, will I pay a large cancellation fee?

Back
Top Bottom