Who has the right of way in this scenario? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who has the right of way in this scenario?

you have that backwards, but then again so do most people it seems. It's stop, unless unsafe to do so, on an amber light. When making a turn it's only do so when it is safe to proceed.

No I don't have it backwards. If you're in the intersection on a green light, and the light turns yellow, proceed when safe.

This was my thought. The purple car would be required to stop, if it was safe to do so. The left turning car could be stuck in the intersection and blocking traffic, if unable to complete the turn. These days that's a much more likely scenario. Both cars have an amber light and it would be unlikely that they would both arrive at the stop line the very moment that the light went amber.

Don't just think about 'rights.' Also consider your 'responsibilities.'

Even if the light turned full red the blue car would still have to wait for the purple car to pass. Left turner always has to wait for it to be clear or for everyone else to be stopped. There is no other variation. Variations will get you killed!

No I don't have it backwards. If you're in the intersection on a green light, and the light turns yellow, proceed when safe.

This doesn't even make sense. Why would you be stopped in the middle of an intersection on a green? Rob has it right on this one.

Even if the light turned full red the blue car would still have to wait for the purple car to pass. Left turner always has to wait for it to be clear or for everyone else to be stopped. There is no other variation. Variations will get you killed!

In that case the purple car as to come to a complete stop at the red light, and that should give blue car enough time to clear the intersection.

Lol. In New Zealand the BLUE Car would have right of way... Until last year when they changed the rules because of tourists getting into accidents. Now NZ is consistent with the rest of the world. I cant remenbe the rule in Aus.

This doesn't even make sense. Why would you be stopped in the middle of an intersection on a green? Rob has it right on this one.

Left turn.

Yes, but you would still have to wait for the intersection to be clear of oncoming traffic and pedestrians before you made the turn. Doesn't matter if the light is green, yellow or red.

Yes, but you would still have to wait for the intersection to be clear of oncoming traffic and pedestrians before you made the turn. Doesn't matter if the light is green, yellow or red.

I don't disagree with you. I'm just explaining why you'd be stopped in the intersection on a green. Maybe I lost track of what you were talking about somewhere in the thread.

Purple car has right of way unless he's got a red in which case he should stop and make his right on red when safe. If it's yellow he should stop if he can. Left hand turn almost never has right of way unless he's got a left turn light in which case 90% of the time purple car will cut him off, anyway.

If you're in Toronto the purple car would just make his right regardless of what the light or traffic is doing. People make right on red 10 ft in front of me (when I have green and am moving at speed limit) all the time.

Last edited:
In Toronto, red lights are only a suggestion. No one seems to come to a complete stop unless proceeding would result in a pedestrian on the hood and, even then, no one seems to stop where they should (behind the stop line before proceeding).

Purple car has right of way. But if the light is yellow for the blue car, purple car driver should show courtesy and allow blue car to turn first so blue car doesn't get stuck in middle of intersection when light turns red.

Actually, in this case where there is a yellow light, would the blue car have the right of way?

On a yellow, the purple car would have to stop, since it can do so safely and it is not in the intersection yet.
The blue car, already being in the intersection would be allowed to proceed, once the intersection is clear.

Except in the original scenario, the car making a right hand turn is not in the intersection yet and has a yellow light. If that car is travelling slow enough to safely make a right turn, that car is obliged to stop.

The car making the left turn is in the intersection already, on a yellow. Provided the way is clear (and for all intents and purposes, the scenario would seem to indicate that it is), it would have the right of way to complete its left turn.

Post 17 by Marcos. Straight from the Driver's Handbook, from MTO.

Yep.
Right link, wrong conclusion
READ THE SECOND PARAGRAPH, FIRST LINE.
HTA says :
HTA; Sec135 Right of way

(2) Every driver approaching an intersection shall yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection that has entered it from an intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 135 (2).\

So in the example which car entered the intersection first? Whichever entered the intersection first has the legal right of way.
No wonder our highways are so dangerous, no body knows the rules of the road.

Last edited:
Except in the original scenario, the car making a right hand turn is not in the intersection yet and has a yellow light. If that car is travelling slow enough to safely make a right turn, that car is obliged to stop.

The car making the left turn is in the intersection already, on a yellow. Provided the way is clear (and for all intents and purposes, the scenario would seem to indicate that it is), it would have the right of way to complete its left turn.

The intersection starts at the white pedestrian lines, both cars are shown IN the intersection.

Yep.
Right link, wrong conclusion
READ THE SECOND PARAGRAPH, FIRST LINE.
HTA says :
HTA; Sec135 Right of way

(2) Every driver approaching an intersection shall yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection that has entered it from an intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 135 (2).\

So in the example which car entered the intersection first? Whichever entered the intersection first has the legal right of way.
No wonder our highways are so dangerous, no body knows the rules of the road.

Read the link you referred to an "intersecting highway" is one that is running in another direction, IE a North South highway INTERSECTS an East West highway. In this scenario both vehicles are on the SAME highway, just traveling in opposite directions.

Read the link you referred to an "intersecting highway" is one that is running in another direction, IE a North South highway INTERSECTS an East West highway. In this scenario both vehicles are on the SAME highway, just traveling in opposite directions.

The vehicle making the left turn must wait until it is safe for the driver to make the turn. Oncoming traffic, even that which is signalling a turn, precludes making the turn in safety. The right turning vehicle is under no such onus. This is in keeping with the section of the Driver's Handbook, that was quoted by Marcos.

Back
Top Bottom