Who has the right of way in this scenario? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who has the right of way in this scenario?

I never exercise courtesy when it comes to "right-of-way" scenarios; it insinuates continued traffic confusion and could result in a fatal collision.

Just don't be the guy in the second-from-right lane preventing the driver in a right lane - which happens to end just up ahead - from changing lanes. Backing off a smidge and letting the driver in the right lane do the lane change will keep things flowing.

Best one I've seen involved three cars who flew past a transport truck that was in the ending-right-lane scenario. Truck's signal was on the whole time; drivers to the left ignored it; the end of the right lane in this case was enforced by a bridge abutment. Eventually the truck just had to do the lane change and forced the last car to attempt the pass to slam on the brakes. Totally foreseeable and avoidable.

Just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you should take it ...

If i got a nickel for every gratuitous wave I receive for letting compromised traffic merge or move ahead of me... i'd needn't go to work. I wholeheartedly agree with letting off the gas or moving over a lane to traffic who's lane is ending/merging.

A lot of people for w/e reason get upset when drivers use empty merging lanes in heavy 401 traffic to get a few car lengths ahead. I for one think drivers should be encouraged to use all lanes of the highway and not just the far-left lane... which with heavy volume, is the slowest lane.

Hello all, please-please-please click the link and read the information at the MTO website!!! It's good stuff!!! Full of vitamins and 100% fibre!!!

"If you are turning left, you must wait for approaching traffic to pass or turn and for pedestrians in or approaching your path to cross"

The guy turning left must wait for ....everyone!

This is the only right answer here. Does everyone not have licenses? If you do, you should know this.

OP is legallly correct, GF is nice and considerate. Left turners have zero rights.
Consideration should be administered in small doses in Toronto traffic. Too many A-H's abuse the courtesy.

24 posts and no one has it yet. (Just so you know you CANNOT establish right of way from that picture. There is a question that needs to be answered, and so far, no one has asked that question).
No wonder our roads are so dangerous.

Left turner will be charged always the was a nice write up about it from the opp in the star a while ago. Basically if you are turning left and hit someone it is your fault.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Could purple car have safely stopped upon the light turning yellow?

This was my thought. The purple car would be required to stop, if it was safe to do so. The left turning car could be stuck in the intersection and blocking traffic, if unable to complete the turn. These days that's a much more likely scenario. Both cars have an amber light and it would be unlikely that they would both arrive at the stop line the very moment that the light went amber.

Don't just think about 'rights.' Also consider your 'responsibilities.'

Don't just think about 'rights.' Also consider your 'responsibilities.'

Which reminds me of the old, old epitaph about right-of-way: -

"Here lies the body of Lester Bray,
Who died , asserting his right-of-way,
He was right, dead right as he sped along,
But he's just as dead -
As if he'd been wrong."

AFJ

I never exercise courtesy when it comes to "right-of-way" scenarios; it insinuates continued traffic confusion and could result in a fatal collision.

I hear what you're saying here. It's ironic when people hinder traffic by attempting to be courteous. You almost don't know how to feel, irritated or grateful lol. But traffic is a constantly changing pattern. I'll always exercise courtesy when it makes sense to do so regardless of right-of-way. If doing so would hinder traffic then I let right-of-way prevail.

What gets under my skin: Ontario's finest continue to make wide limo length turns with their small 4d sedans. They're unable to make a right turn into the nearest right lane... nor can they make a left turn into the nearest left lane. My head explodes when they go wide in double-left turn lanes.

That's one of my peeves too. It demonstrates either a lack of driving ability, lack of courtesy/respect or both. It becomes dangerous when the OPs scenario involves a double lane road where both parties turn at the same time. Theoretically, both should have ample room but more often than not one car will turn directly into the furthest lane forcing the other driver to take evasive action.

If i got a nickel for every gratuitous wave I receive for letting compromised traffic merge or move ahead of me... i'd needn't go to work. I wholeheartedly agree with letting off the gas or moving over a lane to traffic who's lane is ending/merging.

A lot of people for w/e reason get upset when drivers use empty merging lanes in heavy 401 traffic to get a few car lengths ahead. I for one think drivers should be encouraged to use all lanes of the highway and not just the far-left lane... which with heavy volume, is the slowest lane.

I agree with the first part of your comment, disagree with the second. If vehicles are coming from the merging lane then by all means let them in. But if I'm sitting in the first lane and an impatient SOB behind me tries to use the merging lane to pass then there's no way I'll let him in voluntarily. And he would have nothing to complain about either. Merging lanes aren't intended to increase the capacity of roadways, they're intended to allow one flow of traffic to enter another. It actually slows down traffic even more if everyone were to try to pass in a merging lane because it creates 2 lane change events.

I agree with the first part of your comment, disagree with the second. If vehicles are coming from the merging lane then by all means let them in. But if I'm sitting in the first lane and an impatient SOB behind me tries to use the merging lane to pass then there's no way I'll let him in voluntarily. And he would have nothing to complain about either. Merging lanes aren't intended to increase the capacity of roadways, they're intended to allow one flow of traffic to enter another. It actually slows down traffic even more if everyone were to try to pass in a merging lane because it creates 2 lane change events.

People have lost the concept of what a merge lane is for. I agree with you that using it as an additional passing lane only serves to further slow traffic, as drivers frequently have to stop in order to allow drivers who have gone all the way to the end of the lane, and sometimes beyond the end, in order to move up just a few car lengths. This behaviour is dangerous, discourteous, selfish, and (frequently) illegal.

The problem with deciding that courtesy would be the more appropriate course of action is that it relies on EVERYONE assuming that course of action - which is a big assumption, and why the law should be adhered, and not any form of courtesy.

It's difficult enough for most people to remember all of the rules they are supposed to follow, introducing courtesy as a wildcard just throws a wrench in the whole process and is what would result in the both cars turning at the same time. The blue car would assume the purple car would wait, out of courtesy, and the purple car would do exactly as they would be expected, and make their right turn.

Courtesy is great in parking lots, but that's about it. When on the road, follow the rules that everyone is expected to follow and there will be less confusion.

(I can just image two autonomous cars in that intersection, dueling for the ROW...)

What gets under my skin: Ontario's finest continue to make wide limo length turns with their small 4d sedans. They're unable to make a right turn into the nearest right lane... nor can they make a left turn into the nearest left lane. My head explodes when they go wide in double-left turn lanes.

OP is legallly correct, GF is nice and considerate. Left turners have zero rights.
Consideration should be administered in small doses in Toronto traffic. Too many A-H's abuse the courtesy.

I think it depends on the jurisdiction.. as if this was TORONTO,, then the purple car is already illegal as they have entered the "box" and are unable to clear it due to on coming traffic..

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/04/should_toronto_raise_the_fine_for_blocking_intersections/

People have lost the concept of what a merge lane is for. I agree with you that using it as an additional passing lane only serves to further slow traffic, as drivers frequently have to stop in order to allow drivers who have gone all the way to the end of the lane, and sometimes beyond the end, in order to move up just a few car lengths. This behaviour is dangerous, discourteous, selfish, and (frequently) illegal.

Yup... I don't like it either.. but when I read about "zipper merge" techniques,<google that>, I think if we all learned to drive that way... it would be better... lol.. but I know in reality it would be endlessly impossible ...

http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/Infrastructure Services/Transportation/Pages/ZipperMerge.aspx

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2012/11/giving_up_on_the_zipper_merge/

this may just need to be a new thread...

On a yellow light when turning left, proceed when safe.

*disclaimer: I am not a lawyer*

On a yellow light when turning left, proceed when safe.

*disclaimer: I am not a lawyer*

you have that backwards, but then again so do most people it seems. It's stop, unless unsafe to do so, on an amber light. When making a turn it's only do so when it is safe to proceed.

Yup... I don't like it either.. but when I read about "zipper merge" techniques,<google that="">, I think if we all learned to drive that way... it would be better... lol.. but I know in reality it would be endlessly impossible ...

http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/Infrastructure Services/Transportation/Pages/ZipperMerge.aspx

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2012/11/giving_up_on_the_zipper_merge/

this may just need to be a new thread...

Rush hour in Saskatoon is like Kitchener on a Saturday night, just less busy. They could tell drivers to stop at every intersection in case of elephant crossing and it wouldn't significantly impact traffic congestion.</google> Using merge lanes to actually, you know, merge keeps traffic moving.

Purple car has right of way. But if the light is yellow for the blue car, purple car driver should show courtesy and allow blue car to turn first so blue car doesn't get stuck in middle of intersection when light turns red.

+1. Yup

Even if the light was green, I still see it often that people don't know what's right.

I've been in situations where I'm the blue car and I'm waiting for the purple car to complete the turn and it stops half way because it gets scared of me. What?

That is very frustrating for sure. :angry1:

Could purple car have safely stopped upon the light turning yellow?

You're right, but even with a green light it happens. People just don't know what to do!

Back
Top Bottom