No more Thursday days at GBM? | GTAMotorcycle.com

No more Thursday days at GBM?

CrazyKell

Site Supporter
Anyone else see this on their schedule? They still have the Thursday nights but not the actual day.

I loved the Thursday days! :(

Be curious to know why they stopped them. :confused:

Oops, my bad. That was also talked about a while ago though. Racer5 is now doing Thursdays completely on their own. Pretty good deals on full days of schooling though. Very high teacher to student ratio.

Now the Fridays will be combined track/race practice days. The details haven't come out yet, as far as I know...

Now the Fridays will be combined track/race practice days. The details haven't come out yet, as far as I know...

I really don't like these combined days. :(

Yeah, definitely a lot busier. I've got them booked off work and will check out at least one. If I don't like it, I don't know what I'll do... Going to finally try Calabogie this year so it might not matter anyway. If I get ruined by its awesomeness I might have to do fewer GBM days. haha...

Yeah, definitely a lot busier. I've got them booked off work and will check out at least one. If I don't like it, I don't know what I'll do... Going to finally try Calabogie this year so it might not matter anyway. If I get ruined by its awesomeness I might have to do fewer GBM days. haha...
when are you thinking of doing that Dave?

They were stopped because neither the Thursday trackday nor the Friday SOAR practice day were covering the costs or operation. So it was decided to combine them into one day and hopefully make one successful day. I realize that it may be busier but the reality is the track costs big numbers to operate, things like track rental, ambulance (staffed with two Level 4 EMTs), liability insurance, marshalling staff, operating staff etc. So its either figure out a way to cover the costs consistently or everyones rates go up significantly (kinda TTC or Canada Post like, less people using means higher individual cost, means less people and so on). Think of the plus here. its now a Friday and not a Thursday an good excuse to take the weekend spectate the races and hit the beach.
So just to be clear. Trackday registration will be done 100% through Grand Bend. Racer registration will be done through SOAR. I will be controlling the day for both. details are still being ironed out Hope that clears things up . :D

When are you doing calabogy? it will be my firs time there as well

They were stopped because neither the Thursday trackday nor the Friday SOAR practice day were covering the costs or operation. So it was decided to combine them into one day and hopefully make one successful day. I realize that it may be busier but the reality is the track costs big numbers to operate, things like track rental, ambulance (staffed with two Level 4 EMTs), liability insurance, marshalling staff, operating staff etc. So its either figure out a way to cover the costs consistently or everyones rates go up significantly (kinda TTC or Canada Post like, less people using means higher individual cost, means less people and so on). Think of the plus here. its now a Friday and not a Thursday an good excuse to take the weekend spectate the races and hit the beach.
So just to be clear. Trackday registration will be done 100% through Grand Bend. Racer registration will be done through SOAR. I will be controlling the day for both. details are still being ironed out Hope that clears things up . :D

This is all reasonable. It's just that Thursdays are a special niche for people who can take the occasional day off work to go to the track, but can't abandon their families on weekends (which include Fridays, since you often travel Friday evening for the weekend). I know the Thursdays weren't well attended when there were a pile of them available, but if someone (e.g., GWB) would offer just one or two I expect they might do okay, since now there are NONE available, at either GB or TMP.

Moot point for me personally because I will be doing SOAR this year, but I still feel like something really nice was lost here, with every organizer abandoning Thursdays at the same time.

There are still some TMP Thursdays by RDE, and Rider's Choice does lots of Thursdays at SMP. The GBM days will certainly be missed though. :(

Something has definitely been lost. I've yet to see a racer/trackday hybrid run successfully since I've seen quite a few issues with racers not registering quickly enough and then trying to piggy back into the green group and not following the rules. Always seems to be a problem (one that could have serious consequences). But I suppose it is what it is.

For those of us who can't take Fridays off they were an awesome option and one I will miss that's for sure.

There are still some TMP Thursdays by RDE,

Oh yeah...my bad! I forgot about Reddawn. That's great. Well, hopefully I am right and they are filled up for all four of their dates. I notice that none of them coincide with SOAR weekends so that may help them.

I would certainly consider doing one of their Thursdays just to get one TMP day in this year, to see how my lap times compare to last year. I attended a Reddawn day last year - kind of a strange thing with bike sessions and car sessions interspersed. It went surprisingly well. I did have some concerns about some of the riding amongst the motorcycle folks (specifically, long wheelies on the straight). I contacted the organizers afterwards to thank them for the day but also to express my concerns, and honestly they could not have been more polite and professional about it. They seem really committed to putting on the best track days possible. I was favorably impressed. I'd encourage others to give them a try.

Something has definitely been lost. I've yet to see a racer/trackday hybrid run successfully since I've seen quite a few issues with racers not registering quickly enough and then trying to piggy back into the green group and not following the rules. Always seems to be a problem (one that could have serious consequences). But I suppose it is what it is.

For those of us who can't take Fridays off they were an awesome option and one I will miss that's for sure.

Every Friday practice at RACE (Shannonville) there's a track day group and there's never been any issues. It does work but there's no separation within the trackday group between faster/slower riders.

Racer5 is doing Thursday Advanced school days at GBM in May, June and July.

These aren't trackdays, they are our advanced Stage4 and Stage5 riding courses.
Although taking a Racer5 intro course is recommended it is not a requirment, however previous track experience is a requirment.

The day is run in two sessions with groups of 4-5 students paired up with one Racer5 instructor.
Groups are divided by skill level to minimize disparity between riders.
The Instructors follow 2-3 riders from their group around each session, after the session riders are debriefed and will be able to practice the next session on their own. The instrucor with then focus on other riders in their group.

Students will have an instructor one session and then a be one their own to practice then next. This rotation will occur throughout the day.
As the day is only run in two sessions rather than three sessions like a conventional trackday, there will be no shortage of tracktime or instruction.

For more information on the Racer5 Thursday Advanced Program days visit:
http://www.racer5.ca/#!advancedprograms/cd5b

Back
Top Bottom