Foot controls question. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Foot controls question.

peterm15

Hi everybody.

Im in the process of purchasing a bike. I recently looked at a 99 Vstar 650 that im really interested in. But there is a problem, for me as a new rider at least.

The bike is equipped with forward controls, which to me doesnt seem like a good idea for a new rider. The seller does not have the stock controls.

My question is how hard or easy will it be to find the stock (or aftermarket) controls to relocate them back to stock position? Are they readily available? Is aftermarket even an option?

My probelm is whenever I google it, it comes up with forward controls or extensions which needs the stock controls and pegs. Although it seems all forward controls are for 99 to current. So I assume tge standard controls would be as well.

pricing would be nice as well but I'm not to picky.

Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/?group=MC

I saw the footrest and controls listed under Vstar 650 classic for 1999 models. Having said that, you may have to order the parts and wait for the stealership to get them in.

Is there a particular reason your looking at the 650?? what type of riding do you expect to be doing? If mainly city then this bike is perfect. If you plan on doing lots of highway or long hauls, (unless your sticking to 80Km/h roads), you will find the 650 will leave you wanting LOTS more. Many reviews say at 60mph, you will find it starting to lack at 65 mph, you will find it pretty much maxed out.

Might want to consider the jump to a larger vStar

Thanks for the link.

The main reason is insurance. 650 is about $2800 a year for me. Where as 800 was almost $5k. Even 750s are in the $4k range. 500s were ~$2500.

I was mainly looking at 650-750 but at the end of the day this bike was just a deal I couldn't pass up. It is currently on the back of the truck.

Sounds like you're with state farm? That's not a good choice for cruisers. The insurance forum has lots of good info.

Also I'd give the forward controls a try for a few days before ordering new parts. You might end up liking them.

Sounds like you're with state farm? That's not a good choice for cruisers. The insurance forum has lots of good info.

Also I'd give the forward controls a try for a few days before ordering new parts. You might end up liking them.

Im actually not insured or riding yet.

Ive only gotten online quotes as a comparative but will be calling a few places this week.

I came across the very informative insurance charts that are linked in the from start to finish for new riders thread. That helped alot but will definitely be reading through a lot more of the forum for more suggestions.

As for the controls. Ive taken some time to sit on the bike to see how they feel. And compare them to the stock locations. Runs up the driveway and stuff. They will stay for sure but I feel I may need to extend the brake pedal as it sits a bit far in. Only about 1/4 of my foot can push it. But again wont order anything until im on the road for a few days.

Thanks again.

For insurance I would definitely give TDMM a try I posted last week about my experience I switched from Desjardin $2708 for my Yamaha Roadstar 1700 to TDMM $1131. That was with increased coverage, (I went from $1000 deductibles and $1 mill Liability with DGI, to $500 deductibles and $2 mill liability with TDMM). I also reported a new MINOR ticket from Jan 2014 and I still saved over 50% with TDMM.

Many companies rate on the CC's so I am screwed with 1700 of them..lol

I agree try the foot controls for a while I thought I would absolutely hate the heel shifter when I moved up, to my Roadstar. Now I can't recall using the toe shifter at all anymore.

Im actually not insured or riding yet.

Ive only gotten online quotes as a comparative but will be calling a few places this week.

I came across the very informative insurance charts that are linked in the from start to finish for new riders thread. That helped alot but will definitely be reading through a lot more of the forum for more suggestions.

As for the controls. Ive taken some time to sit on the bike to see how they feel. And compare them to the stock locations. Runs up the driveway and stuff. They will stay for sure but I feel I may need to extend the brake pedal as it sits a bit far in. Only about 1/4 of my foot can push it. But again wont order anything until im on the road for a few days.

Thanks again.

For insurance I would definitely give TDMM a try I posted last week about my experience I switched from Desjardin $2708 for my Yamaha Roadstar 1700 to TDMM $1131. That was with increased coverage, (I went from $1000 deductibles and $1 mill Liability with DGI, to $500 deductibles and $2 mill liability with TDMM). I also reported a new MINOR ticket from Jan 2014 and I still saved over 50% with TDMM.

Many companies rate on the CC's so I am screwed with 1700 of them..lol

I agree try the foot controls for a while I thought I would absolutely hate the heel shifter when I moved up, to my Roadstar. Now I can't recall using the toe shifter at all anymore.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom