Certification required to register motorcycle? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Certification required to register motorcycle?

Hello,

Is a certification required to register motorcycle at MTO?

Its not required to be registered, as it'll be classed as "un-fit"

You'd have to get a saftey inspection certificate, get it changed to fit, before you can get it plates I believe. As this is what the lady at the ministry office told me, when I bought my most recent bike.

I check my recent UVIP and it shows my bike is classed "un-fit" yet I was able to get plates for it? Doesn't make sense.

I check my recent UVIP and it shows my bike is classed "un-fit" yet I was able to get plates for it? Doesn't make sense.

This is very strange.

As per the MTO website - I think you might have a problem when registering, w/wo certification.

• Unfit
    • If ministry records show that the vehicle status is “unfit”, it may be mechanically unfit. Licence plates cannot be attached to such a vehicle unless a Safety Standards Certificate is provided to the ministry.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml

Did you have a valid safety certificate when you went to get plates? If not then they screwed up and plates should not have been issued.

Did you have a valid safety certificate when you went to get plates? If not then they screwed up and plates should not have been issued.

Not sure if OP has insurance. If so he could have plates, but with temp permit. Instead of an actual sticker. So that he can take said bike to a mechanic. But those are valid for 14 days I think.

I definitely had insurance, or else I would have ridden it then. Being a first time rider I wanted my behind covered in case the unfortunate occurs. I have a plate and sticker valid for 1 year then. When I registered my bike with MTO I provided them with the permit, UVIP, and paid taxes.

Ill have to contact MTO for an more definite response. But I appreciate you guys for your responses. :)

Confused now. You took registration, UVIP, and insurance to mto to transfer bike into your name. You paid the taxes and got plates with a registration for one year. Is that correct??

If so the clerk must have been new or in a comatose state..lol look at your current registration if it says MCL - FIT right at the top, then when your plate us due your good to go as it will be treated as a simple renewal

I definitely had insurance, or else I would have ridden it then. Being a first time rider I wanted my behind covered in case the unfortunate occurs. I have a plate and sticker valid for 1 year then. When I registered my bike with MTO I provided them with the permit, UVIP, and paid taxes.

Ill have to contact MTO for an more definite response. But I appreciate you guys for your responses. :)

That is correct. lol I have no clue what the clerk status was.

In any case now, can you or anyone recommend a recent price motorcycle shop to get a safety check for this certification?

When I registered my 240sx they never asked for a safety and gave me plates right away. I went and got it checked and it failed safety but the lady at MTO already gave me paper work so I was good to go. They're only human, they make mistakes, too. lol

Did she give you a temporary license plate, you mean? If so, you just need to get a safety and return with it to MTO for registered plates.

Well people here could likely give you many recommendations, BUT seeing we have no idea if your in London, Thunder Bay or the GTA, (east, west, or North), etc it would be useless for us to recommend anyone.

That is correct. lol I have no clue what the clerk status was.

In any case now, can you or anyone recommend a recent price motorcycle shop to get a safety check for this certification?

Why bother if it is already plated? Find a shop you trust and ask them to look it over no point in paying for the certificate if it isn't needed

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Why bother if it is already plated? Find a shop you trust and ask them to look it over no point in paying for the certificate if it isn't needed

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

+1

If someone made a mistake I'd just let it slide and have the bike just looked over.

Majority of what you pay to any mechanic is for the paperwork. They need to put their name on it and assume some responsibility when doing so.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Can you or anyone recommend a recent price motorcycle shop to get a safety check for this certification?

Not sure what happened I had replied to this earlier..lol

If you want a good look over try one of the mechanics listed or who sponsor GTAM

If you just want the "piece" of paper some Crappy tires, do bikes but your NOT going to find anyone there who knows what they are doing...

I am sure others will chime in.

Where are you? We need to know where you live to give you a close recommendation.

If your ownership says fit and you have plates, you dont need a certification.

Back
Top Bottom