London area dual sport rides | GTAMotorcycle.com

London area dual sport rides

dirtbag

I know there are a number of us out this way interested in putting together a ride but is there anyone here who knows enough unimproved roads, power line allowances, farmers lanes, twisty gravel roads etc that they can stitch together to lead us on a ride?

I'm in St Marys but I'd gladly ride anywhere within an hours radius to meet up at a starting point.

The perfect weather for this kind of ride will soon be upon us ......

I would be up for something as well and am in Waterloo I have a crf250 with a blue plate or a 1190 adventure if it is more road oriented.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping for something that would be worthy of the DRZ400. I can do gravel roads all day long on my street bike (but I'd rather not).

A blue plate affair for sure though....

Ok sounds good the crf just sucks at speeds above 90, going to be doing the Bethany ride next month as well

I would be up for something as well and am in Waterloo I have a crf250 with a blue plate or a 1190 adventure if it is more road oriented.

1190 adventure Drool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok sounds good the crf just sucks at speeds above 90, going to be doing the Bethany ride next month as well

I'll be there!

You may have better luck on the Ontario Dual-Sport Club forum(odsc). There is a large number of riders in the Cambridge, Waterloo, and southern regions. Many of them can at least point out the good gravel rides.
Otherwise, two of you need to meet for beer/wings (or coffee) with a back roads map book. Look for promising routes and go explore. That's what dual sports are all about, exploring.

Last edited:
Indeed Iceman.

I was just lurking there and it looks like a Brian Helliwell is the guy I need to connect with. He led a run from Ingersoll down to Turkey Point and another out Ridgetown way along an old rail trail.

I'll try to get hold of him and if he can't lead a run then he likely has some great suggestions. In the mean time if anyone else feels confident to lead us feel free to jump in.

Mr Helliwell would be ideal, but be careful, his rides are commonly known as "hell rides" lol. The man knows no limits.
Seriously though, probably one of the long time greats on that site.

I managed to get hold of Brian Helliwell and he told me how to find a rail trail that heads west just outside of St Thomas. He says its a good ride that we can follow almost as far west as Rodney. I viewed a couple videos he posted on the ODSC site and it looks like fun. That said its an ex rail line so no real big changes in elevation and not much in the way of sharp curves.

That's the good news the bad news is my DRZ has a problem with the charging system (battery on the bench 12.5v - in the bike with the throttle cranked 12.95v). I was hoping we might get this ride in while there are still enough big puddles to make things interesting but I need to get my bike sorted first.

If anyone wants to head out earlier and needs details to find the trail head PM me.

This thread is good for me... I'm in London, on a Ninja 250 right now, but I'm interested in getting a dual sport. If there are some places to ride nearby that would make it a pretty easy decision.

Any update on this?

Back
Top Bottom