Spark plugs | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Spark plugs

The only manufacturers I know that runs iridium plugs from OEM is Honda and now Suzuki. Honda has always used NGK laser iridiums, giving them a long 28,000km I think it is service interval. However try buying them at a Honda dealer and your in for $25 pet plug! Or in the instance of a friend if mine someone backing into her bike knocking it over and left it on the side, after hours of sitting like that it flooded the cylinders and fouled the plugs. Bike had to be towed, image her surprise when Honda told her over $100 for new plugs alone not including installation

Personally I do no notice a performance difference between them besides life. And it's not like it's free extra life, your paying more for more life. If you are Somone like me that changes my plugs often myself in 30min. Then there is no great benefit for using iridium, I'm more concerned about changing them often rather then having iridium for the sake of having iridium. Changing them more often is more valuable to me then having iridum. I also run race fuel in one if my bikes that likes to eat spark plugs. So again rather then burn up expensive plugs is rather just change out regular ones more often.

However times are changing, you never used to be able to buy iridum plugs at places like CT for under $20 each. Now that they are coming down in price you will see more bikes coming with them and more people buying them to replace regular plugs. Keep in mind the lasers are their cheaper iridium plug bit their best so there is also more expensive iridium options. My kawi kit race manual calls for NGK total loss plugs with no electrodes. I priced those plugs out at $400 a set...

The oem plugs on my 04 ZX10 were iridium. I haven't pulled them out of the 2011 yet so I don't know if this is still the spec on the 1000.

The oem plugs on my 04 ZX10 were iridium. I haven't pulled them out of the 2011 yet so I don't know if this is still the spec on the 1000.

Both use a cr9eia, but their 600 does not...so they are not using iridium across all their models, not even on both flag ship sport bikes. The 600 gets regular

Unlike Honda almost every Honda sportyish bike I've worked on used iridium plugs

And now Suzuki is doing the same 600,750,1000 etc

And just for reference the cr9e for the zx6 is basically $5 from kawasaki, the cr9eia for the zx10 is $10. So roughly double for the eia

Last edited:
NGK CR9EIX can be found for $7 or less online with free shipping. Makes sense just to switch over to Iridiums to save time of changing them less frequently.

I am a bit surprised with kawi sticks to the copper 9E's in the ZX6r's, when everyone has switched over to iridium. A bit odd - but I wonder why though...

Copper has a stronger spark, and Kawi saves a couple buck per bike.

Where do you guys get 18mm spark plug sockets from out of curiosity? I know Sears USA sells one. Motion Pro wants $20+ for one which I find laughable. I'd rather use a deep socket or something in an emergency.

Any decent socket set will have both spark plug socket sizes. Other than that check canadian tire.

It's not a coating. The electrode is made entirely out of platinum, copper, or iridium. It ablates over time.

On that note, wtf am I looking at? Is that ice crystals?
I believe it is coated. If it was pure platinum the wire electrode will not be as strong, plus it would cost more than $12. Platinum is more expensive than gold
Where do you guys get 18mm spark plug sockets from out of curiosity? I know Sears USA sells one. Motion Pro wants $20+ for one which I find laughable. I'd rather use a deep socket or something in an emergency.
Have you tried Princess auto?

I believe it is coated. If it was pure platinum the wire electrode will not be as strong, plus it would cost more than $12. Platinum is more expensive than gold

It is a small amount of solid platinum that is welded to the tip and sometimes the ground electrode

It is a small amount of solid platinum that is welded to the tip and sometimes the ground electrode

I'm not a precious metal expert but I believe an ounce of gold has hit $1,000. Platinum is more expensive than gold, that tip is probably half an ounce or if I'm being conservative let's say quarter ounce. You do the math

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I'm not a precious metal expert but I believe an ounce of gold has hit $1,000. Platinum is more expensive than gold, that tip is probably half an ounce or if I'm being conservative let's say quarter ounce. You do the math

Sent from my tablet using my paws

The center electrode tip on a platinum spark plug is tiny. You would measure the amount of material in milligrams

Back
Top Bottom