Which insurance company covers with a Major conviction on record?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which insurance company covers with a Major conviction on record??

Apollo95

Site Supporter
Intact will not renew because of a major on record.

which companies should i look into or would people recommend?

Also, non-renewal, will that affect my future insurance? does it count as being dropped or cancelled on?

any info that would help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Intact will not renew because of a major on record.

which companies should i look into or would people recommend?

Also, non-renewal, will that affect my future insurance? does it count as being dropped or cancelled on?

any info that would help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Try Riders plus.

Leon was able to get me approved at a reasonable rate, even with two majors.

I think most companies classify majors as 30km/hr over.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Nope, it's classified by the offence. Speeding is section 128 of the HTA, racing is section 172. Interestingly, going 50+ over the limit seems to only be considered 'racing' by convention and precedent. Technically, they could slam you with both 128 and 172 in that case.

EDIT: I should clarify. I'm sure there are some companies that consider 30+ over different from say, 10 over, but it doesn't make it a 'major' offence, it's just that they have different classifications of 'minor' offences. To be honest, I think it *should* be this way. A 10 over ticket shouldn't be anything like a 25+ over ticket in insurance's eyes, because who among us hasn't done 10 over?

Nope, it's classified by the offence. Speeding is section 128 of the HTA, racing is section 172. Interestingly, going 50+ over the limit seems to only be considered 'racing' by convention and precedent. Technically, they could slam you with both 128 and 172 in that case.

EDIT: I should clarify. I'm sure there are some companies that consider 30+ over different from say, 10 over, but it doesn't make it a 'major' offence, it's just that they have different classifications of 'minor' offences. To be honest, I think it *should* be this way. A 10 over ticket shouldn't be anything like a 25+ over ticket in insurance's eyes, because who among us hasn't done 10 over?

So what your saying is anything 49km/hr over the limit and under are minor tickets?
I am not sure that is the fact with all insurance companies, as I have been told I had a major speeding ticket on my record way back when I had a 35km/hr over ticket.

So what your saying is anything 49km/hr over the limit and under are minor tickets?
I am not sure that is the fact with all insurance companies, as I have been told I had a major speeding ticket on my record way back when I had a 35km/hr over ticket.

Yes. Insurance companies aren't allowed to make their own rules as to what is minor and what's not. I spoke to SF, Desjardins, Mantha, Riders Plus and another one I can't remember.

And also yes, they can give you a HTA 128 and 172 at the same time for the same offence, I've gotten them. They can only prosecute you on one though.

but anyone know of any insurance companies that still insure with a major on record? 172.

for a cruiser.

but anyone know of any insurance companies that still insure with a major on record? 172.

for a cruiser.

Not sure try TDMM.

Either way your going to have to call as the online quote won't work with a 172 conviction. As stated your likely going to have to go to the facility market, even with a cruiser it is going to be VERY expensive You may find only way your going to find anything, (still very expensive), but manageable you will have to go to a 125 for a few seasons. Certainly not going to be able to afford to insure the 1000rr in your sig.

Facility...

How the hell did you not manage to get it dropped to 49 over?

I actually wasn't even doing 50 over. it was a pickup truck in the passing lane 400 south.
I was in the middle lane. cop pulls me over, says i was the one in the passing lane. I take the stand, say what happened, cop says his story and the judge takes cop's word over mine.

The prosecutor had it in for me. no deal. and i wasn't even trying for a deal cuz I wasn't actually doing what the cop said i was doing. tough to accept something this BS when I'm innocent and $3K-4K in the hole before i even get to trial (HTA 172 is GUILTY until proven innocent, with legal fees, towing + 7 days in their lot, 7 day suspension, license reactivation fee, lost wages). but got screwed.

clean record for 12 years before this.
at the end she (the prosecutor) even brought up what i had from 12 years ago for the judge to consider when setting the fine/punishment.
the judge even told her "this is from 12 years ago, what do you want me to do with this?"

Last edited:
so I'm hoping a few experienced fellow GTAMers can offer advice on which companies might be best to call.

ill be making calls this week to see who will cover my cruiser.

to get by for the next 2 years until this whole ugly circumstance is behind me, 2 1/2 years left to go.

I can tell you that the only company I have that would write the policy is (just like others have said) Facility. One ticket basically screwed you because Facility will charge you a ridiculous amount and does not offer any payment plan other than single payment.

In response to ticket classification, here is a good explanation of 50km+ speeding tickets. http://traffictickethelp.ca/speeding-50km-over/

I know it doesn't help now but the best option is to hire a paralegal to fight a ticket like that and that is coming from me as an insurance broker, but as a guy who got three tickets the last time he got pulled over. I spent $250 to have him fight the tickets (and win) which saved me a lot more then that on insurance.

I actually wasn't even doing 50 over. it was a pickup truck in the passing lane 400 south.
I was in the middle lane. cop pulls me over, says i was the one in the passing lane. I take the stand, say what happened, cop says his story and the judge takes cop's word over mine.

The prosecutor had it in for me. no deal. and i wasn't even trying for a deal cuz I wasn't actually doing what the cop said i was doing. tough to accept something this BS when I'm innocent and $3K-4K in the hole before i even get to trial (HTA 172 is GUILTY until proven innocent, with legal fees, towing + 7 days in their lot, 7 day suspension, license reactivation fee, lost wages). but got screwed.

clean record for 12 years before this.
at the end she (the prosecutor) even brought up what i had from 12 years ago for the judge to consider when setting the fine/punishment.
the judge even told her "this is from 12 years ago, what do you want me to do with this?"

If the above is 100% true, you are a better man than me. I would have lost it.

I'm very surprised you did not get a lawyer.

I can tell you that the only company I have that would write the policy is (just like others have said) Facility. One ticket basically screwed you because Facility will charge you a ridiculous amount and does not offer any payment plan other than single payment.

In response to ticket classification, here is a good explanation of 50km+ speeding tickets. http://traffictickethelp.ca/speeding-50km-over/

I know it doesn't help now but the best option is to hire a paralegal to fight a ticket like that and that is coming from me as an insurance broker, but as a guy who got three tickets the last time he got pulled over. I spent $250 to have him fight the tickets (and win) which saved me a lot more then that on insurance.

Thank you. and i guess ill be finding out what this "ridiculous" amount they're going to charge will be.

also to Dresden, absolutely 100% true.
I was thinking the same thing, about to lose it in court. but what to do. they have the power and i was afraid they might even toss me in jail for a day for losing it in court and at the judge.

I did hire a lawyer/paralegal to fight it. went to trial. testified. they cross examined the cop, he lied/said what he thought he saw. and i got screwed.

the conviction comes with a 30 day license suspension, court fees, victim surcharge and the fine between $2000-10 000
ON TOP of the $4K i'd spent before getting to trial. and now the insurance BS.

Ridiculous! and UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

Sorry to hear that. Which paralegal did you go with?

That's incredible that there is no recourse in this kind of situation.

Apparently getting booked on the 403 with an m1 license is a major conviction not to mention the 30 day suspension. Wth

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom