2012 ninja 250r engine oil | GTAMotorcycle.com

2012 ninja 250r engine oil

muneeb23

Hey guys, So last week I bought myself a Ninja 250. This is my first ever motorcycle. It really needed an oil change and I wasn't willing to pay $100 to a shop to do it for me when I could do it myself for around 40 buck. I drained all the oil and everything was going fine until it was time to put the new oil back in. I was real cautious because my brother owned a 250 before and he put too much oil and the engine started burning it. So I've filled about 1.2 or 1.3 litres in and I can't see any oil in the oil window. This got me a little worried so I decided to start the bike and let it run for 2 or 3 minutes. I was hoping maybe the engine oil would circulate through and come back down and then I would be able to see atleast a little bit of oil. After running the bike, my friend decided to take it for a spin around my underground garage for like 20 seconds. After his ride, I turned off the bike and left it for another 5 minutes and still couldn't see any oil. The next day I came back and I knew I had to put around 1.7 litres in so I came to put the rest in. Once I got past 1.4 litres I started to see the oil window fill with oil and I was relieved. I filled it up to around 1.7 or 1.8 litres and ran it and everything seemed fine. My worry is when I started it and let my friend take it for a ride with a little more then half the oil the engine needs, did it damage my engine or any other part of the bike?

Odds are, no damage. Even if that's not the case ... at this point, what's done is done.

Don't do that again, though. Make sure the CORRECT amount of oil is in the engine before starting it - not too much, not too little.

You're checking the oil window with the bike held straight up, right?

yeah everytime I checked the oil, the bike was straight up. I took it for a short ride today everything seemed fine.

yeah everytime I checked the oil, the bike was straight up. I took it for a short ride today everything seemed fine.

I would suspect it's fine. I went for a ride once with a guy, when we checked our oil, his didn't show on the window. Obvious solution is to top up asap. But no he didn't want to risk mixing dissimilar oils(!) so we continued home, probably 60-70 kms. Last I heard he was still riding it.

I would suspect it's fine. I went for a ride once with a guy, when we checked our oil, his didn't show on the window. Obvious solution is to top up asap. But no he didn't want to risk mixing dissimilar oils(!) so we continued home, probably 60-70 kms. Last I heard he was still riding it.
I really hope mine is fine because I just bought it :(

Doesn't the manual or a quick Google search tell you the exact amount you need in it? Doubt there was any damage, certainly nothing catastrophic but you'll know if there is damage if you see metal shavings or shimmering in the oil next time you drain your oil. Also, did you use a new washer?

I guess he doesn't know he's better off mixing than running low...

Doesn't the manual or a quick Google search tell you the exact amount you need in it? Doubt there was any damage, certainly nothing catastrophic but you'll know if there is damage if you see metal shavings or shimmering in the oil next time you drain your oil. Also, did you use a new washer?
I didn't use a new washer. The previous one seemed perfect and I didn't buy one so I assumed the same one would work until the next oil change. If there is metal shavings in my next oil change what should I do? Is the repair going to be expensive?

I didn't use a new washer. The previous one seemed perfect and I didn't buy one so I assumed the same one would work until the next oil change. If there is metal shavings in my next oil change what should I do? Is the repair going to be expensive?

Any is bad but how bad depends on the size of the shavings but if its fairly thick than you'll need a rebuild at which point you'll want to hock that **** to some poor ignorant sucker.

Doubt you have a magnetic drain plug but this is what it'd look like:
http://i43.tinypic.com/i38mpu.jpg

http://www.cubefx.com/smart/oil_01.jpg

Any is bad but how bad depends on the size of the shavings but if its fairly thick than you'll need a rebuild at which point you'll want to hock that **** to some poor ignorant sucker.Doubt you have a magnetic drain plug but this is what it'd look like:http://i43.tinypic.com/i38mpu.jpghttp://www.cubefx.com/smart/oil_01.jpg
Yeah I don't have a magnetic one but ill definetly will be on the lookout for the metal shavings. Praying for the best that nothing happened

Yeah I don't have a magnetic one but ill definetly will be on the lookout for the metal shavings. Praying for the best that nothing happened

stop worrying about it, nothing happened.

You were smart and bought a Kawi instead of a Hyosung, it takes a lot more to kill the lil Ninja...

stop worrying about it, nothing happened.

You were smart and bought a Kawi instead of a Hyosung, it takes a lot more to kill the lil Ninja...
Thank god LOL Ive been sitting here wondering how soon Im going to have sell this bike or when itll start giving me problems because of my stupid mistake.

ah the satisfactions of doing your first oil change, had two of my buddies help out.

Btw you need to ride around to tell if everything is fine after the change? I didn't change the washer and rubber

Next time get a manual or at least read up on the proper way to change oil in a motorcycle or car same basic process.

Back
Top Bottom