https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4477&group=MC&catId=79

2015_MT-07_VRC1_CA_3.png

689cc
75 hp
50 ft-lbs torque
395 lbs wet

$7,299

Tissues are over there >

The link to the Yamaha website has the power too, 75 hp and 50 ft. lbs. of torque from 689cc with wet weight of 394 lb.

I still would compare it with the FZ-09 that is listed at 115 bhp and 64.5 lb.-ft. @ 8500 rpm at Cyclenews.com with wet weight of 414 lb.

However, the insurance cost may be significantly cheaper for the smaller FZ-07...

Most insurances breaking point is 600 cc so I doubt this will do you any favors. For the cost and the fact that it's not a triple I'd take the 9 all day long.

I was a bit disappointed by the FZ-09 when I sat on it at the show - it felt and looked a bit cheap while straddling it. That offset dash is brutal IMO.

That said, this baby brother looks like the perfect starter bike at a reasonable price.

That said, this baby brother looks like the perfect starter bike at a reasonable price.

I don't really see 700 cc as a "starter bike", even if it is a parallel twin. 75hp is plenty to have years of fun with. Heck, if we set our egos aside, you could easily ride the twistiest roads you can find at speeds that'll get you in plenty of trouble with a bike like this.

Aside from not being a fan of this new fz09/fz07 styling, I think they are going to be excellent street bikes and it sets Yamaha up to add an fz05 in a year or so. Then they'd have a great step-up program in their lineup. Start on the 5. As skill and age go up and insurance costs go down, step up to the 7, maybe even the 9 depending on your needs/wants. It's a good marketing strategy.

I don't really see 700 cc as a "starter bike", even if it is a parallel twin. 75hp is plenty to have years of fun with. Heck, if we set our egos aside, you could easily ride the twistiest roads you can find at speeds that'll get you in plenty of trouble with a bike like this.

Aside from not being a fan of this new fz09/fz07 styling, I think they are going to be excellent street bikes and it sets Yamaha up to add an fz05 in a year or so. Then they'd have a great step-up program in their lineup. Start on the 5. As skill and age go up and insurance costs go down, step up to the 7, maybe even the 9 depending on your needs/wants. It's a good marketing strategy.

That would be brilliant! A FZ-05 with about 50hp to go up against the existing lineup of Honda CB500s which really have this marketplace to themselves right now. The could also go up to a FX-11 with a big triple but the way the market seems to be going that would probably be overkill and niche.

FZ-07 looks like a winner to me. The only remaining question is how does it stack up against the Burgman 650?

Most insurances breaking point is 600 cc so I doubt this will do you any favors. For the cost and the fact that it's not a triple I'd take the 9 all day long.

I am with TD and their prices are a mystery for me. My 500cc scooter that can do 170 kph is cheaper to insure than my 250cc scooter that can do 120 kph. Also, I paid almost twice as much $$ for the 500cc scooter as for the 250cc. Why is the 250cc more expensive? Nobody knows. At least for TD, they do not go by cc's but some kind of mystery categorization.

I was a bit disappointed by the FZ-09 when I sat on it at the show - it felt and looked a bit cheap while straddling it. That offset dash is brutal IMO.

I saw the FZ-09 at a demo day last year, where we could see it and sit on it, but not ride it (it was too 'new'). Yes, it looks cheap, the thought crossed my mind.

But then the guy started it up, and rev'ed it up (he actually rev'ed the s*** out of it), and I saw the digital display, and thought "that'll do for me just fine"...

Great move by Yamaha Canada, they seem to start get it.

This bike will sell. Decent power, light weight, low price and no sick ride by wire like FZ-09, but rather good old cable connection. Needless to say that fueling is reported to be flawless.

I am looking forward to a test ride.

I'd not judge the FZ-09 by the looks - I'm not a Yammy fan but these two machines are going to shake up the industry and the FZ-09 was ground up design and so far the testers have commented positively on the quality of the engineering
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/08/22/2014-yamaha-fz-09-technical-review-kevin-cameron/

It could have been priced lower tho if it goes at $6450 that's a terrific category.
I too think the triple is the better value but not for the entry rider.

This should do well against Honda's CB500s which are physically small ( the CB500x is full sized ) and I suspect the the FZ -07 will outperform them easily.

FZ-07 looks like a winner to me. The only remaining question is how does it stack up against the Burgman 650?
smart *** ;)

But seriously Honda and now Yamaha is putting downward pressure on prices in the midrange and that's a good thing.
The Burgman community want's a cheaper 650 ....it needs to be $9k not 11 and it's been in production for 11 years so there is no reason not to get the prices down. It leads the category by a wide mark and they are bringing the 200 into North America as well which will be a good thing - excellent storage, and insurance should be much cheaper here than for the 400 and 650 with our antiquated insurance structure.

Part of this is driven by the regulations for under 50 hp machines around the world tho this one I think is over that.
Still a detuned version is potential.
75 HP with that low weight...nice.

My kid did not like the ergonomics on the FZ-09 over the FZ8 - he could have gotten either an opted for the four cylinder - good deal new at $6995

With financing these intermediates are pretty affordable for riders moving up from 250s and should put downward pressure on the used market as well. Good stuff all around.

Now what we need is Honda Suzuki and Yamaha to get together and offer insurance at decent prices with bike purchase. :D

These all look fine, but does anyone actually use these to pound any serious miles. I can only image riding one down to the dragon. By the time you're there you'd be too exhausted to have any fun. Give me a fairing anyday!

and yes Doc, I saw that fugly Dragonheart thingy you want to put on your FZ9 ... :(

and 2 cylinders ... really?

I don't mind the styling and the price is good. But I went with a leftover 2013 Fazer 8 for 4 reasons..
1. Fairing- wind protection
2. Passenger accommodation. Not sure why they just didn't give the FZ09 a bit more bum?
3. TD has classed the 09 as a high performance bike. 1200/year for me with a clean record and licensed 31 years.
4. Saved about 2500 off of what a 14 Fazer would cost.

Seems like you have to go full sport tour to get any kind of passenger seating anymore. I really wanted that triple, but I need one bike to do it all and the FZ line comes up a bit short for me.

Last edited:
This should do well against Honda's CB500s which are physically small ( the CB500x is full sized ) and I suspect the the FZ -07 will outperform them easily.

smart *** ;)

But seriously Honda and now Yamaha is putting downward pressure on prices in the midrange and that's a good thing.
D

I'd call the bike ER-6n killer ... I'd expect for Kawi to drop the price soon.

CB500 is not really in the same league ... carries extra 25lbs (which really is mind boggling difference) and has a quite a bit less power .... so as you said.

Back
Top Bottom