Next stupid question - wiring recessed bolts. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Next stupid question - wiring recessed bolts.

Is there an oil cooler? If so, those banjos would need to be done too.

Oops...yep you are right. There are lines to the oil cooler, plus two other external oil lines I need to deal with.

Yay, more wiring! I am starting to actually enjoy it.

Oops...yep you are right. There are lines to the oil cooler, plus two other external oil lines I need to deal with.

lol - I find safety wiring very relaxing, love doing it.

LOL... it can be therapeutic, or aggravating... or both.

I've had people ask me why I safety wire my bike if I'm not racing. Simple answer, safety. It's easy enough to do and have some peace of mind.

Previous owner of my bike got it fully wired and then was too lazy to rewire it as he changed out stuff. Ended up having the oil filter back off at TMP and got black flagged.

I'm just waiting on my assortment of spring clips from kurveygirl to get here and then I'm rewiring the whole thing.

Previous owner of my bike got it fully wired and then was too lazy to rewire it as he changed out stuff. Ended up having the oil filter back off at TMP and got black flagged.

I'm just waiting on my assortment of spring clips from kurveygirl to get here and then I'm rewiring the whole thing.

That's scary! Luckily you got flagged before it was too late. I should check my stock of those clips and maybe order some more.

Wiring the oil cooler lines was a nightmare. Two fasteners to wire in series at each end of each line, so eight total. And, when you tighten one, the one it screws into also wants to rotate, so the drill holes keep moving. Tricky stuff. Here is what I came up with. Actually I need to take the cooler end apart again because I didn't get the lines installed at exactly the right angle.

I also remembered that I need to wire the pre-filter thing under the oil tempertaure gauge. After that I think I am done with wiring.

wiring%20oil%20lines%202.JPG

wiring%20oil%20lines%201.JPG

What brand/type of drills are you using? I know everyone says just take it slow, use lots of cutting oil, but with stainless bolts I have a hell of a time. Bits always break off and then it's impossible to drill them out... I once used a centre drill, which worked great, but that only works for some bolts depending on the head shape.

Actually the drilling has been easy. I bought some CT crappy Motomaster bits (2.99 for a pair) and they wouldn't make holes in anything, ever. Seriously, I kept checking to see if the drill was in reverse. But at the same time I bought some Dewalt "Titanium" double tip ones (6.99 for a pair). They have gone through every fastener like butter. Easy peasy. I am still breaking a few when there are odd angles or hollow fasteners or whatever, but all in all making the holes really hasn't been very hard. Maybe Ducati likes mild steel?

I'm pretty sure I've tried those Dewalt bits too and broke one in a stainless bolt, then couldn't drill it out...

I'm pretty sure I've tried those Dewalt bits too and broke one in a stainless bolt, then couldn't drill it out...

When I wired my bike, I used cobalt bits from Princess Auto (I believe they were $5 per package of 4 or 5 bits..or something like that, surprisingly cheap). I also bought a small drill press from Kijiji. Pretty much drilled all removable bolts without breaking a single bit. Drill press really makes the difference, got mine for $30 from kijiji, lol... one of the few good money-saving choices I made ;)

Yeah, I've got a good drill press. Also tried that once too and still had issues. I don't know what my problem is now... I drilled my old F4 with no problems. Well, broke some bits but no major problems.

Even with my drill press I've had a hard time with bits burning out or breaking. I use an autopunch as well to get the bit to start out properly. I don't think my press spins fast enough for the really small bits.

Use a machinist's centre drill to start the holes. You can get quite a steep angle and still start without problems.

Centre Drill.jpg

Acklands Grainger sell 1/16th titanium bits in bulk packages. Seemed ok.
Good to know I'm not the only one that breaks them off flush sometimes. I've done this with my battery drill while trying to get through Tech 2nd try - doh

Use a machinist's centre drill to start the holes. You can get quite a steep angle and still start without problems.

View attachment 34458

Yeah, that's exactly what I used on my F4 for a few of the bolts, and it worked great. The one I had got dull though, and the next one I bought broke off! WTF. haha...

Back
Top Bottom