engine kill/ignition switch HELP NEEDED | GTAMotorcycle.com

engine kill/ignition switch HELP NEEDED

Boi-O-Lex

How do I test my engine kill/ignition switch to see if there is power going to it?

When I turn the key on I get power to my lights but when I flick the switch to get the fuel pump going i get nothing same with when I push the ignition button.

depending on your bike there will not be any power at the kill switch . it could be a ground switch . make sure all your safety switches are working properly .. clutch , neutral , side stand ect ..
check for continuity on both sides of your kill switch ,

If its a Suzuki check the clutch switch by jumping it out.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Related thread http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?180438-engine-kill-ignition-switch-help

I take it you did not get the problem solved.

I think you have an issue with side-stand - neutral switch - clutch switch circuit. If that circuit is not permissive, it will not let the engine start (and generally, that also includes not letting the fuel pump run).

Make-model-year, please ...

On a Kawasaki, there is a relay/fuse block module with 3 diodes in it - one leading to "neutral" (the switch grounds the circuit to turn on the bulb and activate this logic), one leading to "clutch switch" (same situation), one leading to "sidestand up". At least one of these conditions has to be met in order to let the engine run. (In other words, if the transmission is not in neutral, and the sidestand is not up i.e. it's down, and you let out the clutch, it kills the engine and with it the starter motor enable and fuel pump enable circuits.) If the switches are OK then the next thing to check is the wiring between those switches and the relay module, because an open wire (or unplugged connector) will result in failing to ground that signal, i.e. engine no workie. If the signals are getting to the connector on the relay module then there could be a problem inside the relay module itself. Been there ... I fixed the relay module on an older Kawasaki by opening the relay module, figuring out which diode was bad, and replacing it with a new one ... (yes, it was hellish to troubleshoot)

Other manufacturers might do this a little differently but it will be the same basic idea. It might be time to dig out the schematics ... If the problem is wiring or inside a control module, that's the only way you will get to the bottom of it.

If it's a Gixxer I had the same issue that I was dealing with over a year.. I thought it was the kickstand switch..since everything was good after I replaced it. But 3 weeks down the road the same issue. That's pretty much the reason I swapped bikes...too many issues with the gixxers (06-07) if it happens to be your bike.

Back
Top Bottom