Changes to the HTA | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Changes to the HTA

What exactly does "yield the whole roadway" mean?

What exactly does "yield the whole roadway" mean?

It means if a pedestrian passes your vehicle and enters the oncoming lanes crosswalk you still can NOT proceed until the pedestrian has both feet on the opposite sidewalk.

So in laymans terms if ANY pedestrain has a foot off the curb and in the crosswalk you MUST stop and wait until ALL pedestrians have cleared the crosswalk completely.

so the pedestrians that cross 1/2 way on advanced green when it says do not walk, we cannot proceed...awesome.

so the pedestrians that cross 1/2 way on advanced green when it says do not walk, we cannot proceed...awesome.

EXACTLY, which is why they though gridlock was bad before... I am soooo glad I don't have to drive downtown.

Clearly there are more problems in the city than just cars. Cyclists must be treated as the vehicles that they are. No riding on sidewalks (against city bylaws) or in crosswalks (contrary to the HTA). Pedestrians need to be ticketed for stepping into the crosswalk after the 'don't walk' signal has started flashing (contrary to the HTA). Pedestrians need to be ticketed for crossing 50 feet up from a light, thinking that the light no longer applies to them (contrary to the HTA).

If anyone ignores their responsibilities, under the law, then it causes issues for everyone. Unfortunately, at this point, everyone seems to be far more interested in their 'rights', while ignoring the 'responsibilities' that go with them.

yne6y4y9.jpg

I came in here with hopes of the same thing...

The 4th point, however, I find completely butt**** retarded. They should expand the dooring thing to motorcycles lane splitting...but since lanesplitting is grey that would never happen unless some judge is brave enough to rule in favor of the rider in a door-while-lanesplitting scenario.

Lane splitting isn't grey it is illegal. At least how the laws are now, unless the motorcycle is "sharing" the lane with parked cars. If the motorcycle is lane splitting between two "active" lanes then there is no grey there.

油井緋色;2144549 said:
I came in here with hopes of the same thing...

The 4th point, however, I find completely butt**** retarded. They should expand the dooring thing to motorcycles lane splitting...but since lanesplitting is grey that would never happen unless some judge is brave enough to rule in favor of the rider in a door-while-lanesplitting scenario.

Lane splitting isn't grey it is illegal. At least how the laws are now, unless the motorcycle is "sharing" the lane with parked cars. If the motorcycle is lane splitting between two "active" lanes then there is no grey there.

The poster may have been talking about the practise of some drivers who open their doors on purpose, in order to stop or perhaps injure riders who are lane splitting, rather than the accidental opening of doors in curb lanes.

Two lanes of traffic stopped on a red light. Can a motorcycle "share" the right lane saying that technically he/she can't know if those cars "parked" or "stopped waiting for green".

Actually, it is a grey area. There is no law stating specifically that a motorcycle can't split lanes. There are laws regarding passing within a lane, but they have exceptions for when it's reasonable (no lane markers on smaller roads, for example).

Actually, it is a grey area. There is no law stating specifically that a motorcycle can't split lanes. There are laws regarding passing within a lane, but they have exceptions for when it's reasonable (no lane markers on smaller roads, for example).

There are, however, laws that explicitly ban that sort of behaviour but don't specify motorcycles. It's not grey at all. This has been discussed at extreme length, in many previous threads.

It means if a pedestrian passes your vehicle and enters the oncoming lanes crosswalk you still can NOT proceed until the pedestrian has both feet on the opposite sidewalk.

So in laymans terms if ANY pedestrain has a foot off the curb and in the crosswalk you MUST stop and wait until ALL pedestrians have cleared the crosswalk completely.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought that was what it meant but it doesn't make sense so I thought to ask.

When we talk pedestrian crossovers are we all thinking the same thing?

2f674062-a7b2-4394-b05d-49433b96e276

And not the traffic light pedestrian crosswalks?

A crosswalk is a crosswalk, weather at a light, or "stand alone" like the one pictured.

That's complete *********.

Now they are saying that when someone starts crossing over a 6 lane road from the other end, I have no choice but to wait until they get to they other end?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe not. If the government collapses before final passage due to the gas plants scandal, then none of this will ever come to pass.

Back
Top Bottom