Changes to the HTA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Changes to the HTA

Rob MacLennan

Site Supporter
I just heard an announcement that there will be changes to the HTA tabled in the Legislature, this afternoon. I'll post when I hear what they are. Odds are that it's an increase in the fine and addition of points penalties for the use of electronic devices while driving.

If that's what it is, then it's relatively meaningless. If you don't actually enforce a law you could make the penalty death, and it isn't likely to change anything.

*EDIT* News is that the fine has gone up and it's now a 3 point offence.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...ntroduces_comprehensive_road_safety_bill.html

The proposed Keeping Ontario’s Roads Safe Act and supporting amendments to the Highway Traffic Act would:
  • Increase fines for distracted driving to a range of $300 to $1,000, up from a range of $60 to $500, and assign three demerit points upon conviction.
  • Increase fines for drivers for dooring cyclists to a range of $300 to $1,000, up from a range of $60 to $500, and raise the demerit points from two to three.
  • Require all drivers to maintain a distance of one metre when passing cyclists.
  • Require drivers to yield the whole roadway to pedestrians at school crossings and pedestrian crossovers.
Among other things, the legislation proposes to expand the current “slow down, move over” requirement for motorists beyond only emergency vehicles with red or red and blue flashing lights to include tow trucks that are stopped and responding to roadside accidents and emergencies while their amber flashing lights are activated.
The proposed amendments to the Highway Traffic Act would also address impaired driving and include:
  • Requiring all drivers who repeatedly drive with an excessive blood-alcohol concentration to complete an alcohol education program followed by an alcohol treatment and monitoring program.
The proposed legislation would also clarify what medical conditions must be reported and allow additional medical professionals to report drivers with medical conditions that may make them unsafe drivers.​

I agree this is a step in the right direction, however the 3 point penalty for distracted driving carries zero teeth. Had they upped it to four points, it would carry automatic license suspensions for novice class drivers. Creating an indirect 'zero-tolerance' policy, that carries on a first conviction: 30-day license suspension.

What's great about the 'hand-held' law is that there are no BS reduced or amended charges the crown can go to. If you're caught driving, all you can do is get on your hands and knees and beg for a reduced fine.

I believe the 'emergency move over' law should apply to all vehicles that have their hazard lights on... not just police & tow trucks.

We will never see increasing privileges for motorcyclists, wishful thinking if you believe otherwise. You have only to look forward to more restrictions and higher cost to operate legally on the roads.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...ntroduces_comprehensive_road_safety_bill.html
The proposed Keeping Ontario’s Roads Safe Act and supporting amendments to the Highway Traffic Act would:
  • Increase fines for distracted driving to a range of $300 to $1,000, up from a range of $60 to $500, and assign three demerit points upon conviction.
  • Increase fines for drivers for dooring cyclists to a range of $300 to $1,000, up from a range of $60 to $500, and raise the demerit points from two to three.
  • Require all drivers to maintain a distance of one metre when passing cyclists.
  • Require drivers to yield the whole roadway to pedestrians at school crossings and pedestrian crossovers.
Among other things, the legislation proposes to expand the current “slow down, move over” requirement for motorists beyond only emergency vehicles with red or red and blue flashing lights to include tow trucks that are stopped and responding to roadside accidents and emergencies while their amber flashing lights are activated.
The proposed amendments to the Highway Traffic Act would also address impaired driving and include:
  • Requiring all drivers who repeatedly drive with an excessive blood-alcohol concentration to complete an alcohol education program followed by an alcohol treatment and monitoring program.
The proposed legislation would also clarify what medical conditions must be reported and allow additional medical professionals to report drivers with medical conditions that may make them unsafe drivers.​

I agree this is a step in the right direction, however the 3 point penalty for distracted driving carries zero teeth. Had they upped it to four points, it would carry automatic license suspensions for novice class drivers. Creating an indirect 'zero-tolerance' policy, that carries on a first conviction: 30-day license suspension.

What's great about the 'hand-held' law is that there are no BS reduced or amended charges the crown can go to. If you're caught driving, all you can do is get on your hands and knees and beg for a reduced fine.

I believe the 'emergency move over' law should apply to all vehicles that have their hazard lights on... not just police & tow trucks.

The fourth point will result in complete gridlock in the GTA as there always seems to be a pedestrian in crossings, whether or not there should be.

We will never see increasing privileges for motorcyclists, wishful thinking if you believe otherwise. You have only to look forward to more restrictions and higher cost to operate legally on the roads.

Or move away from this rotten province. :eek: :D

The fourth point will result in complete gridlock in the GTA as there always seems to be a pedestrian in crossings, whether or not there should be.

They cause a gridlock already because they can. It's often a slow walking contest for them, just to be jerks. $200.00 running shoes going at a snails pace.

They cause a gridlock already because they can. It's often a slow walking contest for them, just to be jerks. $200.00 running shoes going at a snails pace.

I'm thinking more of the people who run out when the counter says 2 seconds and then, after taking three steps, start to walk.

what was it before? i don't see 1 meter happening in the future

oh,
I was really hoping news was that HTA 172 was being kicked as biased and unfair, thus being removed.

ah, if laws were fair and just.

oh,
I was really hoping news was that HTA 172 was being kicked as biased and unfair, thus being removed.

ah, if laws were fair and just.

yne6y4y9.jpg

so distracted driving is SO dangerous...but the police are still exempt.......

As are anyone who uses a radio...including trucks, couriers, and taxis.

They need a high speed lane. The passing lane at 140 I see people sit in it and drive constantly until they get too close to another car and switch lanes to overtake and continue down the route. Raise the speed limits, we aren't driving chevettes and LRA crap.

Back
Top Bottom