some proud owners here | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

some proud owners here

Revolutionary? Where you see that? Paraphrasing?

Thank you. He got the "stupid" part right, but I won't mention in which way.

The point he is missing, is that we've never seen this much aluminum in a vehicle mass produced on this scale.. Big gamble is right.

Aluminum space frames have been in mass production for 10+ years. Frames. Not just some body panels (which are actually easier to produce in aluminum). Maybe not F-150 numbers, but as always, you cherry pick and/or omit stats+facts to make it sound like it's some great new innovation when in reality it's a simple, low tech material substitution.

Last edited:
Aluminum space frames have been in mass production for 10+ years. Frames. Not just some body panels (which are actually easier to produce in aluminum). Maybe not F-150 numbers, but as always, you cherry pick and/or omit stats+facts to make it sound like it's some great new innovation when in reality it's a simple, low tech material substitution.

As usual, you still miss the point. I'll remind you that the Acura NSX was the FIRST production car to use an all aluminum monocoque body and frame. So don't bore me with your "10+ years" crap, when this was way back in 1990.

Please present an example of a vehicle, a wildly popular one, in a market that has the mindset that "aluminum is for beer cans", that will be using this much aluminum extensively.

You can bet the other mainstream automakers will be watching closely, to see how the market reacts.

Will Ford's gamble pay off? I think it will. Not sure what stats were omitted? Don't recall saying that nobody has ever made aluminum cars ever?

Please go back to your trashy celebrities are dead web sites where you interests are better served. Newman! :lol:

Aluminum has been in automotive for decades, Rover used it for hoods and decks, Jag, Benz. But now since recycling is huge and aluminum can be had in many alloy incarnations its never been a better time to use it . It doesn't dent that easily and with modern metallurgy gives any steel panel a run for the money, and taking weight out of a vehicle means mileage and increased towing.
Using large amounts in production, yeah somebody should warn the airline industry and the yacht business. One Heeson 300' yacht uses enough aluminum for many thousands of F150's.
Hard to fix? not really, but "Freds corner body shop" might need to learn some stuff. Nobody will fix a bent hood anyway, you'll replace the panel. I did aluminum panels for Camaros and Impalas for stockcar racing, its not hard, just different.

Just to add, now that you can weld aluminum to steel, Mazda has created a game changer. (its there technology)

As usual, you still miss the point. I'll remind you that the Acura NSX was the FIRST production car to use an all aluminum monocoque body and frame. So don't bore me with your "10+ years" crap, when this was way back in 1990.

Please present an example of a vehicle, a wildly popular one, in a market that has the mindset that "aluminum is for beer cans", that will be using this much aluminum extensively.

You give an example of aluminum being used in production cars, then throw out a pointless rhetorical question that's so narrowly worded the only possible answer has to back up your previous assertion. You know damn well that they've been using aluminum in production cars for years. Hell, the low volume bespoke manufacturers don't even bother with the stuff any more. It is kinda funny to watch you throw a hissy fit if someone points out your black and white, I'm right dammit, preach to the unwashed masses gospel has some grey in it, though.

Me too! But everybody laughed a few years ago, when Ford introduced a V6 as their top dog gas engine in their truck. The mere thought of a top line pick up with a V6 was scoffed at.

Yet Ford nailed it. The market spoke, and the more expensive EcoBoost V6 (over the Ford V 8 is setting the sales charts on fire.

I predict the market will speak again, and Ford will have another hit on their hands with the aluminum F150.

Sunny: You didn't take into consideration that over 90% of EcoBoost owners feel they've been misled by Ford.
Here's some "real world" food for thought:
1)
I've had multiple problems with this truck since I bought. Like other reviewers, I'm getting nowhere near the mileage advertised. I average 14.2 MPG combo driving. I did get around 21 MPG on a couple of road trips early on, but haven't been able to duplicate that as the vehicle has "broken in". It's been to the local dealer a handful of times & it's back in again this weekend for another round of testing. If the advertised mileage is NOT typical, then Ford shouldn't be making such a frikken' big deal about.
The engine is loud at start up (especially on cold days - it sounds like a diesel engine) I'm told that this is normal - that the V6 has noisy fuel rails. As requested, I'll list all of the problems separately so that it may prevent someone from buying into the Ford hype about this truck.
BTW, this is my 2nd Ford truck. I also most recently owned a Toyota Tundra. Both had similar mileage to the EcoBoost with a hell of a lot more power/gitty up!

- rainman, Kennesaw, GA, USA

2)

Was one of the first people in town to purchase one of the new ecoboost f-150's. Boy, did they do a good job advertising this truck's fuel mileage... Haha! If you fell for it too I feel your pain. I'm lucky to get 16mpg on the hwy and in the city the best I could get was 12-13mpg. And boy doesn't it just piss you off when you see the commercials after you bought one. Took to dealer and they said theirs nothing wrong with it and that I needed to wait till the break-in period was done. I laughed and said that this is a classic example of false advertisement. He didn't like that too well. I believe that the truck will never achieve the stated mpg. Buyers beware! If you don't care about mileage I guess this might be the truck for you.

- Matt P., Topeka, KS, USA

3)
I have 17,000 miles on an F150 FX4 eco-boost v6.
It has NEVER, NEVER, NEVER gotten the gas mileage Ford and the EPA guessed at on the window sticker. I average about 14 mpg, period. Where's my 16 to 22 as promised in the TV ads and the sales literature? Oh - it's a classic bait and switch sale. The dealer says to drive 55 mph with no load (it's a freakin truck!) and with cruise control on and I might hit 17 or 18. Really? I will get killed by other drivers going 55 in to their driveways!
For a list price of $45,145 - Ford shouldn't have to lie about the mpg it's supposed to get.

4)

This is for everyone that buy's a new car from Ford. They advertise an put it in big letters saying how many mile these f-150's get per gallon, DON"T BELEIVE them. I have a brand new F-150 and I drive mostly on the highway. I'm 42yrs old so I don't drive like a 18yr old. I'm only getting 15 miles per gallon, when Ford said I should be getting 17 on the street an 24 on the HWY. Never buy from City of Industry Ford, Bad Managment, bad service, and change thing on the paper work.
Does anyone else have this problem, so we can take this further.

- Tim L., Covina, CA, USA

5) bought my F-150 new, it had 374 miles on it when I picked it up. Right out of the gate the mileage was poor. I started off with 17 mpg and now 4500 later I get 16 mpg. The dealer says it is still breaking in. After reading all the complaints I realize the poor mileage is an inherent problem with the ecoboost engine. My real issue is that Ford is perpetrating a fraud. Mu sticker rated gas mileage was 17-22 mpg. I am not close. The 16mpg that I get now is highway driving. Someone has to do something. One of the main reasons I bought this vehicle with the ecoboost engine was for the higher mpg rated by Ford. By the way, my vehicle is strictly for personal use, I am retired, no hauling.
- mugsy, Unadilla, NY, USA

I'm not going to continue. If you want to see just how bad they are, read more complaints here:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2011/engine/

My F150 with the 4.6V8 gets exactly the same piss poor gas mileage as the EcoBoost. Now I'm glad I didn't wait the extra year to buy one. Mine is a '10 - last yr of the 4.6 and 5.4.

As for aluminum body parts. Sounds sweet.
As soon as I heard their "plan", all I could think of is aluminum wheels and their problems holding air after being exposed to a little salt, compared to good 'ol steel rims.
Time will tell how their aluminum parts keep customers happy, but y'all are forgetting the most important thing about the auto industry.
If they (all automakers) built cars / trucks to last, they'd be putting themselves right out of business. Cars / trucks need to fall apart after a specific time, so they can be replaced with new units. That's the "key" to success in the industry, like it or not.

Ford on left, general public on right

opwiFVW.gif

And Toyota collects the largest fine ever handed (1billion + ?) out for insensitivity and ignoring a throttle problem that apparently killed 6 people, yeah trust those import manufacturers.

Blame the unions? What about GM's new CEO pulling down $14,400,000 a year?

On a 1950 hour work year, that's only $7,384.62 an hour.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gm-ceo-mary-barra-to-earn-14-4m-us-1.2531217

Not even close to the top Canadian CEO!

Here are the top 10 highest-paid CEOs in Canada according to the "total reported compensation." For a complete and detailed list, view this interactive on your desktop.
1. Hunter Harrison, Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. - $49,151,065
2. James Smith, Thomson Reuters Corp. - $18,805,051
3. John Manzoni, Talisman Energy Inc. - $18,670,958
4. Paul Wright, Eldorado Gold Corp. - $18,661,940
5. Donald Walker, Magna International Inc. - $16,851,050
6. Mark Barrenechea, OpenText Corp. - $14,816,457
7. Gordon Nixon, Royal Bank of Canada - $13,731,877
8. Gerald Schwartz, Onex Corp. - $13,296,276
9. Mark Thierer, Catamaran Corp. - $12,892,389
10. Peter Marrone, Yamana Gold Inc. - $12,075,109

And Toyota collects the largest fine ever handed (1billion + ?) out for insensitivity and ignoring a throttle problem that apparently killed 6 people, yeah trust those import manufacturers.

I'm just wondering aloud here; but.....

What part do you think Toyota being a foreign manufacturer plays in the decision to set the fine at $1 billion+; The Ford and Firestone tire issues saw no where near that kind of fine and something like 50 deaths by comparison; and final thought, if anything substantial comes from this recent GM recall, do you think the US Government would risk throwing GM into finacial crisis with a $1 billion fine?

With all the posts you make I could assume you lost your job from the auto industry and have a deep rooted issue with it and have nothing better to do?

Honda is recalling almost 900,000 Odyssey minivans because of a potential fire hazard, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a report posted on its website on Saturday.
In November, Honda recalled 344,000 of its 2007-8 Odyssey minivans because of a computer malfunction that could cause “heavy and unexpected braking without the driver pressing on the brake pedal.”
That came about two months after 318,000 of its 2003-4 Odyssey models were recalled because the air bags might deploy even if the vehicle were not in an accident.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-...0000-minivans/article17508428/?service=mobile

Honda is recalling almost 900,000 Odyssey minivans because of a potential fire hazard, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a report posted on its website on Saturday.
In November, Honda recalled 344,000 of its 2007-8 Odyssey minivans because of a computer malfunction that could cause “heavy and unexpected braking without the driver pressing on the brake pedal.”
That came about two months after 318,000 of its 2003-4 Odyssey models were recalled because the air bags might deploy even if the vehicle were not in an accident.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-...0000-minivans/article17508428/?service=mobile

Everybody posting recalls from other manufacturers are missing the point.

in the GM recall, PEOPLE died, up to 300 of them. GM knew this, and ignored it for about 10 YEARS!!

Now that there is an investigation from authorities, they leap to action and play dumb, and say "We're sorry."

Check out their official GM fb page, the disparaging comments are increasing!

and the recalls keep coming..... over 2 million now!

GM's recall problems grow.

GM = Giant Mistake :lol:

Anybody else following the GM investigation on Capitol Hill?

For frigging 57 cents fix per car and it was too expensive to fix for them.

Wow, just wow.

"Why GM did not recall earlier: House member Diana DeGette said that GM elected not to replace a part that would have cost 57 cents a car because of cost and the lack of "an acceptable business case" for doing so.
Barra said statements in 2005 GM documents showing that the company decided it was too expensive to implement a fix were "very disturbing.""

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/02/news/companies/gm-recall-hearing/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

. GM knew this, and ignored it for about 10 YEARS!!

Honda was much better. They only ignored their ignition problems for 5 years.

I know you had a '98. I too had a '98. I forgot that I was "almost" killed more than once in that car. Heading up the skyway in rush hour traffic, and had the ****ing car stall took some mighty evasive moves - nearly running under an 18 wheeler to get my sorry *** off the road. Oh - they fixed my ignition for free, but I WAS lucky to survive.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=2002052353859

Those facts do not support Sunny's views, and will be glossed over or ignored completely.

Back
Top Bottom